The on topic thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yep, makes sense to go to South America with the majority of our side from there or Spain.

Yeah good point mate. Plus with so many other big teams heading to Asia, gives Chelsea a chance to try and raise the global brand/reputation of the club in the South American market.

If I'm not mistaken, I think I read something a few year back that a lot of people from South American countries tended to follow teams from the continental leagues (especially La Liga and Serie A) in comparison to the EPL. Interestingly, I believe a lot of Asian based fans tended to lean towards supporting EPL based clubs.

Yeah good point mate. Plus with so many other big teams heading to Asia, gives Chelsea a chance to try and raise the global brand/reputation of the club in the South American market.

If I'm not mistaken, I think I read something a few year back that a lot of people from South American countries tended to follow teams from the continental leagues (especially La Liga and Serie A) in comparison to the EPL. Interestingly, I believe a lot of Asian based fans tended to lean towards supporting EPL based clubs.
I wonder if it has something to do with what is on tv?
Before the 2013-14 season, did we have anything other than EPL and MLS on in Australia? Maybe some Seria A on that Italian channel (which I didn't know about until Fox announced they got it, but never showed it for some reason)

Maybe in South America they show a lot of La Liga (no language barrier for commentators)?

Just a thought.

I wonder if it has something to do with what is on tv?
Before the 2013-14 season, did we have anything other than EPL and MLS on in Australia? Maybe some Seria A on that Italian channel (which I didn't know about until Fox announced they got it, but never showed it for some reason)

Maybe in South America they show a lot of La Liga (no language barrier for commentators)?

Just a thought.

Yep, that would be my thinking too DB. Another factor perhaps is that historically a lot of South American players have generally plied their trade in Spain and Italy (compared to the England). Perhaps due to the playing style suiting them better or less restrictive work permit barriers/requirements (I think La Liga and Serie A registration requirements both allow for a set number of non EU players to be registered).

Yep, that would be my thinking too DB. Another factor perhaps is that historically a lot of South American players have generally plied their trade in Spain and Italy (compared to the England). Perhaps due to the playing style suiting them better or less restrictive work permit barriers/requirements (I think La Liga and Serie A registration requirements both allow for a set number of non EU players to be registered).

It's also to do with the historical connections between the South American continent and Portugal/Spain.

Australia is predominately ELP because of the British connection for the same reason.

It's also to do with the historical connections between the South American continent and Portugal/Spain.

Australia is predominately ELP because of the British connection for the same reason.
So why is EPL major in China? Indonesia?
I think historical roots are a minor thing.
I feel you've found 2 points that have a minor connection and summed up they're the major contributor, that is incorrect.

It'd be like saying 'Liverpool is massively supported in Australia because Harry Kewell played there'
Yes, Liverpool is massive.
Yes, Harry Kewell played there and it helped.
But they were huge here before then. It's a minor contribution, but not the big one which you imply.

I feel you've found 2 points that have a minor connection and summed up they're the major contributor, that is incorrect.

It'd be like saying 'Liverpool is massively supported in Australia because Harry Kewell played there'
But they were huge here before then. It's a minor contribution, but not the big one which you imply.

Yeah i'm not going to provide you with a history lesson on cultural development.

modern Asian countries are predominately influenced by English speaking countries.

South American countries with Latin countries.

If you think its a minor connection then you have rocks in your head.

Yeah i'm not going to provide you with a history lesson on cultural development.

modern Asian countries are predominately influenced by English speaking countries.

South American countries with Latin countries.

If you think its a minor connection then you have rocks in your head.
Lol let the little fella have his fun.

Craig Johnstone had a huge impact on Liverpools Australian support base.

But in Australia as in most countries the more successful, more popular teams pick up the more foreign supporters.

Just the way things work. Maybe nowadays you'll get more Australian people supporting a team because thats who their parents support, but previously it was more about the bandwagon.

Should add that United, Liverpool and Chelsea are the sides that have most marketed themselves globally. Arsenal have lagged behind but still have plenty of global support.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wrote a piece for BigFooty. Thought I would share with you guys.

THE RACE FOR CHAMPIONS LEAGUE

top-four-620.jpg

As the race heats up for the champions league spots, we have a look at the contenders and their run to the finish line.

ARSENAL - (currently 3rd)
A - QPR
H - West Ham
A - Newcastle
H - Liverpool
A - Burnley
H - Sunderland
H - Chelsea
A - Hull
H - Swansea
A - Manchester United
H - WBA

Home Games - 6
Away Games - 5
Games against teams in the top half - 5

Arsenal look to have a favourable run home, having six of the remaining (11) games at The Emirates. They have an excellent 9-3-1 record at home which will have Arsenal fans dreaming of Europe. Although two of those home fixtures are against league leaders Chelsea and the form team of the competition in Liverpool.

The penultimate game of the season sees Arsenal travel to Manchester United. Arsenal will hope to be cemented in the top four by that stage considering Arsenal havent won at Old Trafford since 2006 and have just one draw and six losses from their last seven visits.

Barring Liverpool, they are the form team in the competition having gone 8-0-2 in their last 10 Premier League games. Already sitting in 3rd place and having six of their last 11 games at home, Arsenal look a sure bet to once again qualify for Europe's biggest tournament. Winning it though, for poor old Arsenal is another matter entirely.

MANCHESTER UNITED - (currently 4th)
A - Newcastle
H - Tottenham
A - Liverpool
H - Aston Villa
H - Manchester City
A - Chelsea
A - Everton
H - WBA
A - Crystal Palace
H - Arsenal
A - Hull

Home Games - 5
Away Games - 6

Manchester United currently occupy the last of the coveted Champions League spots and they do so, having had quite a strange season indeed. United have failed to convince all season yet they continue to win games. They say that that is the trait of a good side, yet United have played some terribly average football since the opening day.

Will United finally turn a corner and start playing attacking football with real vigor and purpose? Or will the long ball, erratic, sloppy United continue to rumble on until the end of the season? Ultimately, will it be enough? Perhaps the answer lies in the cold hard facts.

United have a miserable record away from Old Trafford this season, managing just three wins in 13 attempts. Their record at Old Trafford is impeccable, they own the second best home record in the league behind only Chelsea. The problem here is that they have more games on the road than they do at home in the final run in.

The fixture list is also unkind. They have a Manchester Derby to play, but they also face Chelsea, Arsenal and Liverpool in the final 11 games. It's tough to see how United can hang on to that final Champions League spot.

LIVERPOOL - (currently 5th)
H - Burnley
A - Swansea
H - Manchester United
A - Arsenal
H - Newcastle
A - Hull
A - WBA
H - QPR
A - Chelsea
H - Crystal Palace
A - Stoke

Home Games - 5
Away Games - 6

Liverpool looked shot midway through November. They languished in 12th having had one of the worst starts to a Premier League season in their history. The departure of Luis Suarez was obviously felt but the failure of the new signings to settle and the injury to Daniel Sturridge all contributed to one hell of a title challenge hangover.

What seemed so close last May, seemed as far away as ever merely six months on. Rodgers couldn't find an answer up front in Sturridges absence and Liverpool couldn't stop conceding sloppy goals. The Brodge as Noel Gallagher so nicely nicknamed him on Match of the Day needed to find an answer and there were even rumblings that his job may actually depend on it.

So in came the 3-4-3 formation. The impressive young Can was deployed in a three man backline with Skrtel and the rejuvenated Sakho. Sterling was tasked with manning the Sturridge shaped hole in attack, such were the failings of summer signing Balotelli and little used Borini and Lambert.

All of a sudden, the free flowing, attacking, exciting Liverpool of last season returned with a vengeance. If not quite so scary going forward, Liverpool were now keeping clean sheets and being quite miserly at the back. They are the in form team in the competition having gone 11 league games without defeat. A run which has seen them win eight games and draw three and has included three wins on the bounce against top four rivals Tottenham, Southampton and Manchester City.

A run which has seen them climb from 12th to 5th. Now just two points behind United and three points behind Arsenal, they have it all to play for. The fixture list is favourable with just Chelsea and Arsenal away being the only really tough games to come and Manchester United at home. The form and momentum they have though looks likely to drag them back into the Champions League for the second straight year.

SOUTHAMPTON - (currently 6th)
H - Crystal Palace
A - Chelsea
H - Burnley
A - Everton
H - Hull
A - Stoke
H - Tottenham
A - Sunderland
A - Leicester
H - Aston Villa
A - Manchester City

Home Games - 5
Away Games - 6
Games against teams in the top half - 4

The Saints have had somewhat of a fairy tale season. Having apparently sold their best players, many fans were predicting Southampton to struggle and to eventually be in a much different kind of battle come the end of the season than the one they currently find themselves in now.

The appointment of Ronald Koeman was a mini masterstroke. Koeman brought in new faces in the form of the impressive Pelle, Forster and Bertrand. But others came in too. Mane, Tadic, Duricic, Elia and Alderweireld have all played a part in Southampton's unlikely push for Champions League football.

The league season however is a marathon and it seems that Southampton are running out of puff. The goals have dried up, having scored just one goal in their last five Premier League outings. That one goal was enough to secure their only win in the past five. Their form has dropped sharply managing just one win, one draw and three losses in that time, ultimately seeing them drop from 3rd to 6th.

If the malaise continues, the push for Champions League football could be over before it really began. There is still hope though, the fixture list eases and they have a very favourable run home with just four games against top ten opposition. If Southampton can reclaim their early season form, they may well be celebrating come the end of the season.

TOTTENHAM - (currently 7th)
H - Swansea
A - QPR
A - Manchester United
H - Leicester
A - Burnley
H - Aston Villa
A - Newcastle
A - Southampton
H - Manchester City
A - Stoke
H - Hull
A - Everton

Home Games - 5
Away Games - 7

Tottenham's recent blip having picked up just one point from a possible six has left them with work to do. Spurs currently sit six points behind Manchester United who occupy the all important 4th place but they do however have a game in hand. Anyone will tell you though, it's always better to have points in the bank than games in hand.

The seven games on the road will be key for Tottenham. They have been good on their travels having won six, drawn two and lost four. They will need that to continue to put any pressure on those ahead of them. They rely heavily on the goals of Harry Kane and the creativity of Christian Eriksen and if either should suffer an injury or a downturn in form, you could see Spurs fading, such is the reliance on too few.

A key period for Tottenham is the run of three games where they face a potential 6 pointer away from home against Southampton followed by a visit from the champions and then a tough away trip to Stoke. They are starting from the back of the pack but I wouldnt count out a "HarryKane" sweeping through the league and Spurs might just be able to blow and twist their way into 4th.

How did you lot come to the obvious conclusion it was AJ? Has he been in trouble for this before?
27 year old, ex England playing regularly for a premier league club. Arrested by Durham police means thats its likely a Newcastle or Sunderland player. Only one fits the criteria.

AJ is a bit of a pisshead, but no indications of anything like this before afaik.

Looks like we've got your lot in the semi's of the youth cup btw.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back