The ONLY POSITIVE thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I think it's ridiculous that this thread needs to exist! If anyone wants to dwell on the fact that we had two narrow losses against the two best sides in the comp, then they are missing the point.
This time last year, we got absolutely belted by these same two sides. In 12 months we have brought in players like Crisp and De Goey, other young kids like Williams and Broomhead have gone up a notch, and we are on the right track. Our skills are better. Our pressure is off the charts. We'll keep getting better, and it won't be long before we win these matches.
We just to need to hit the trade table hard this off season, add the missing link and who knows what next season could bring?!?
I'd love to buy Jack Crisp a beer, and let him know how much us Pies fans appreciate what he brings.

Last edited:
Don't want any of these heroes talking negative about that kind of effort, want to read about what people really liked, and what people really like about what's going on at the moment.

I'm loving Crisp and Adams stepping up in the midfield and showing that they can be good explosive stoppage players.

I'm loving Marley Williams in AA form. And he and Tom Langdon down back are going to be brilliant rebounders for the next 10 years.

Pendles, obviously.

I really liked Jesse White's efforts and think he is having a good season for a player of his overall footballing ability.

Travis Varcoe has really suprised me how well he has taken to the new club. Some of his efforts have been brilliant.

But most of all I have loved the never say die attitude. There have been times when we could have dropped our heads and relied on the inexperienced excuse, but given our age demographic, the discipline and will to continue fighting and continue doing the things asked of the players was fantastic. Plus, we a are a tough side, which is always nice to be known as. We are physical and tough.

Like isn't enough for this post. I love it.

I enjoyed listening to Hawks fans in the stands panic when we stretched the lead to 9 points in the last quarter.

We played great footy. Both in the 2nd and 3rd quarters we were able to wrest the game back onto our terms, after they opened both quarters strongly and threatened to break the game open. That resilience - the ability to halt Hawthorn's momentum and then impose control - shows more maturity than we give credit to our players.

The midfield effort was outstanding - Adams, Marley, Crisp, absolute guns. Sidebottom and Varcoe were great and showed leadership when it was needed. We weren't intimidated, and were willing to give a bit of dirt back.

Kudos to our defenders too. To absorb Hawthorn's forward pressure is a phenomenal effort. 15 other sides would simply fall over and let the Hawks walk all over them, but ours stood tall. I thought we struggled a bit to absorb Freo's manic pressure last week when they notched it up, but I felt this week we coped a lot better when the opposition put the heat on us.

Our defensive zoning and positioning was also brilliant. We were incredibly disciplined in sticking to our structure, and that aspect would no doubt please Bucks. We denied Hawthorn targets so often, and forced them to kick to contests. Of course, Hawthorn being Hawthorn, they have a plan B, C, D, and will always find a way to get through, but we forced them off their plan A and prevented them from playing their preferred brand and dictating the game.

I thought White, Cloke and Fasolo played reasonably well, if they had converted those shots we would've won, but they didn't, and we're roasting them (including me).

The only player I thought who was completely off his game was Jamie Elliott. Can't go missing in big games.

Didn't expect much from Moore on debut was just happy he was getting a game into him on the big stage. What I did love was that moment that he ran back with the flight of the ball into 2 Hawthorn players (I think Hodge was one of them). He didn't take his eyes off the footy and just ran back with eyes only for the ball. He didn't take the mark, but that was something that was great to see from Moore on debut.

That happened right where I was sitting. Moore and Hodge running 40-50m from opposite directions and Moore crashed into him with no fear. The ball spilt to Fas who just missed the snap. Would've been an inspiring goal. Great effort from Darce.

And that's how you do a rebuild, ever so briefly fall out of the 8 and come back with half a dozen 1st rounders you got for mugs and set yourself up for the next 5 to 8 years

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't know what you did to Varcoe, but he's playing ten times better than he was at Geelong!

The list management at Collingwood has been superb, and it's scary how such a young side is playing so well! I think you've got a premiership coming your way in the next 5 years.
Perhaps thriving under his new leadership role?

Hes also heading into his prime years, hes the best indegenous player we have had since 2011.

It's going to be a monster team from 2016 on
2015 is not over yet, we may well get a look at both sides again before it's over...

That happened right where I was sitting. Moore and Hodge running 40-50m from opposite directions and Moore crashed into him with no fear. The ball spilt to Fas who just missed the snap. Would've been an inspiring goal. Great effort from Darce.
Might have been worthy of Moore performing some sort of traditional dance in front of the Hawks fans in the bay...

This.:thumbsu: Loved the way we were not at all intimidated by the unsociable hawks. They could have tickled us with feathers for all we cared. We just got on with it.

I said it before the game, Hawthorn are not a big bodied team so I have no idea why anyone would be physically intimidated by them.

Perhaps thriving under his new leadership role?

Hes also heading into his prime years, hes the best indegenous player we have had since 2011.
I'd have to say it's a combination of him heading into his prime years and getting his body right. He was downright Reid tier levels of permanently injured in his last few years at the Cats.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back