The ONLY POSITIVE thread

Remove this Banner Ad

A few things.
Moore. A natural desire to make a contest of everything. I thought it was an excellent move to debut him against the best. Showed no fear and despite what some have said on this board, I don't think he looked lost at all.

The 'in tight quarters' handball game that was bagged mercilessly last year has a purpose. 1) Rather than bang it forward to opposition who has zoned off, keeping it in tight forces a stoppage due to a tackle, which allows the side to reset. 2) It can also result in the opposition bringing in more players to apply pressure which the releases ours to receive handball on the run. I think we're seeing the value of the handball game now and it will get better.
Reverse the order of what I just said.

Varcoe. I think many of us bought into the s**t the Geelong supporters were giving him. Each club has whipping boys and he was one of theirs. A mate of mine who has a good footy brain was spewing when we got him. He's one Geelong fan I'll talk to about footy. He watches Collingwood closely because of a family connection and reckons Varcoe has been a big difference for us this year. Allows us to direct the ball through the middle with confidence and can kick goals.

Crisp. That worked out well. Hard at it, uncompromising and can kick long goals. Will address little lapses that allow his man to get loose at stoppages. We can't forget how many games he's actually played. We got a more team orientated player for Beams. We also got JDG who just knows how to get the pill and loves the hard stuff.

The 'in tight quarters' handball game that was bagged mercilessly last year has a purpose. 1) Rather than bang it forward to opposition who has zoned off, keeping it in tight forces a stoppage due to a tackle, which allows the side to reset. 2) It can also result in the opposition bringing in more players to apply pressure which the releases ours to receive handball on the run. I think we're seeing the value of the handball game now and it will get better.
Reverse the order of what I just said.
Bingo. I couldn't put my finger on the reason Hawthorn took so few intercept marks in the backline. Previously we'd bomb it long to an outnumbered player, normally Cloke. We really isolated their defenders very well.

Quick hands through traffic to a released player to run and carry or a stoppage and a 50/50 ball is a much better outcome then a quick kick that gets intercepted by the opposition with them having the ball 50m downfield. That 50m is easily gobbled up with free men on the rebound. As Grundy and Witts continue to mature we'll become a better stoppage team and we're already pretty good.

Bingo. I couldn't put my finger on the reason Hawthorn took so few intercept marks in the backline. Previously we'd bomb it long to an outnumbered player, normally Cloke. We really isolated their defenders very well.

Quick hands through traffic to a released player to run and carry or a stoppage and a 50/50 ball is a much better outcome then a quick kick that gets intercepted by the opposition with them having the ball 50m downfield. That 50m is easily gobbled up with free men on the rebound. As Grundy and Witts continue to mature we'll become a better stoppage team and we're already pretty good.

Bucks did state that he wanted our side to become the best transition side in the comp.
We are well on our way to realising that.

A few of us knew what Buckley was trying to achieve where we looked for a handball out of the backline rather than a quick kick to a contest wide. Given the players struggled with it for a while but it was always going to take time unlearn existing set ups and running patterns and learn new ones. Beams was one who refused to lay the ball off by hand and preferred to blind kick. Lost count of how many game day threads were littered with "*! Beams straight to the opposition again."

Positives :

Kick station and we win.

Umpires do their job better we win.

Our team absolutely stretching 2 of best 3 teams in the comp over successive weeks.

Players playing for the jumper and coach.

Travis varcoe, jack crisp and young DeGoaley.

Had 2 debutants.

Much improvement left in this group. Will be scary good over the next 20-50 games.

I have a 2010 feeling about this season. We had similar games against geelong and st.kilda and then beat them when it mattered because we had the belief. We would know that we should have one these past 2 games. This will Steel the group and drive us forward. I believe this team will become a great one.

to be honest with you.. what i really think.. we lost 3 games under 10 points.. we talk of development in our young players etc.. but we are neglecting the fact that we still have half the side with premership medallions at home. so im upset.. saying 'im proud' to folk on the board and to my friends about the effort we are putting in is just a standard bs response which i don't really feel in my heart.

to be honest with you.. what i really think.. we lost 3 games under 10 points.. we talk of development in our young players etc.. but we are neglecting the fact that we still have half the side with premership medallions at home. so im upset.. saying 'im proud' to folk on the board and to my friends about the effort we are putting in is just a standard bs response which i don't really feel in my heart.

We are one of the youngest teams in age profile and games levendi. We will be the Olympiacos of AFL sooner rather than later.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We are one of the youngest teams in age profile and games levendi. We will be the Olympiacos of AFL sooner rather than later.

i know that.. but im still upset. and we have premiership players. how many times have i watched a game and made the 'im proud' comment after we've lost.. heaps.. i don't necessarily feel it though. ive never actually felt proud about at admirable loss. i read comments like we've stretched the hawks and freo etc.. you know what.. f... the hawks.. and f... freo.

i know that.. but im still upset. and we have premiership players. how many times have i watched a game and made the 'im proud' comment after we've lost.. heaps.. i don't necessarily feel it though. ive never actually felt proud about at admirable loss. i read comments like we've stretched the hawks and freo etc.. you know what.. f... the hawks.. and f... freo.

2nd That and Both games we where in Postion to win Both Games and Both Times we Blew it

We played unsociable style which was great to see we weren't intimidated

intimidated by who.. lewis mitchell hodge? theyre intimidating? how can you be intimidating in a game of afl.. id be more intimidated playing in the local leagues than the afl. how can anyone be intimidating without getting reported and breaking the rules.. unsociable hawks my a.. the game has the most stringent set of rules on earth.. so what does intimidation mean in the afl.. talking s... to your opponent or grabbing em by the jumper and pushing em around? what a load of crap.. unscociable hawks.. yeah allright man.. what is the afl street fighting? bs

I agree... * the Hawks and the dockers. We lost both of those games when we shouldn't have.

The beauty is that we were given little hope by the so called experts. But had we done several minor things better we would have won. Games like this will become a thing of the pat even this year. This team learns fairly quickly from mistakes.

After we demolish port this week you'll be proud.

I agree... **** the Hawks and the dockers. We lost both of those games when we shouldn't have.

The beauty is that we were given little hope by the so called experts. But had we done several minor things better we would have won. Games like this will become a thing of the pat even this year. This team learns fairly quickly from mistakes.

After we demolish port this week you'll be proud.

here's hoping eh

I said 4 weeks ago this team is developing right before our eyes,we don,t lay down and die for anyone.

Some very impressive attributes we are developing and another thing I thought at the time was how happy our boys are to be playing with each other,we have a happy committed team atm.

I don,t think we will fade out this season like last year,Grundy has virtually had a month off and will come back strongly plus we have less injuries and we look fitter,not bad for a young team.I think if we can get ourselves a couple of KPP we will be set for a decade we are strong in all other areas including ruck.

If by some sort of magic we were able to get Reid up and going we will become very hard to beat we already are but it would make us more complete.We have covered the loss of Reid and Keeffe brilliantly so far.

Another reason I don,t think we will fade out is that there is real pressure from our players in the Vfl for spots in the 1sts,if we tidy up Marsh,s disposal and get Abbott fit we will be even better.

So many positives it is hard to think to think of them all,I went to the Brisbane match on the opening game of the season and thought it could go 1 of 2 ways complete disaster or we could become resilient which we have.

The club have also managed off field issues brilliantly especially Keeffe and Thomas no off field dramas this season or none that we are hearing about which virtually means the same thing anyway.

TBH I don,t know how we are going to fit them all in really,I think if we handle this correctly we can have a dynasty this time because of our age profile and Tapping is doing a fantastic job with the 2,s,lots to like I think just need to handle it properly and these boys will deliver in spades.

I can pull a 23yr and under (Sidey the Captain 24) team like this out of my arse

Ramsay Frost Langdon
Sinclair Marsh Maynard

Witts Sidebottom* Adams
Crisp Broomhead Williams

De Goey Moore Fasolo
Freeman Gault Elliott

Oxley Scharenberg Grundy Blair

Emer
Kennedy Seedsman Goodyear

2017: 23yrs 60gms 190cms 90kgs

Last edited:
Just considering 2007 for a moment, I remember similar clashes between Hawthorn and another Perth team well on top, at that stage West Coast, at Subiaco. We were shaved by Hawthorn, who were a young side then, and the Eagles earlier in that year. We ended up making a Preliminary Final. Seems to me the stars are aligning a bit better, and if we can get through Port Adelaide and West Coast, which are certainly winnable, then who knows what the future holds? I just need a win again to savor for the weekend. Last couple have been ruined by those kind of games, which would make the uninitiated VERY pessimistic :drunk:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back