PS4 The Order: 1886

Remove this Banner Ad

I haven't played it yet, but why is unskippable cutscenes an issue for people? I don't think i've ever skipped a cutscene in a game (unless it was by accident).
Don't you miss the story if you skip it? :drunk:

quite a few people time themself on how long it takes to complete a game... cut scenes clearly get in the way

I haven't played it yet, but why is unskippable cutscenes an issue for people? I don't think i've ever skipped a cutscene in a game (unless it was by accident).

I probably wouldn't want to skip a cutscene in The Order but I'm playing Twilight Princess now and just skipping every cutscene. The first 6 hours is one giant campaignerscene. lel campaignerscene.

Sooooo I beat the game.... a lot of hit and misses for me.

Let's start with the graphics. Yeah, it's good. But there's only so much it can work with. The place is dreary, it's dull, and it's dark. You never really get into an open field, or a place with great scenery to really appreciate the graphics. You're constantly in tight spaces, tunnels where it's dark and can't see s**t, so really, the graphics were a bit meh for me.

Story. The story is goddamn boring. And that's not even the most frustrating part. Yes, there were loose ends, but there were also loose beginnings, where nothing was ever really explained. You don't really understand how The Order came to be. If I were to ask every single question, this review would be too long, so let's just say, they don't really explain s**t.

The characters are pretty cool, I'll give the game that. They don't really go in depth with them though, but I think the game gets it right with the side characters.

Let's get to the best and worst part of this game. The gameplay.

Firstly, the gun gameplay is goddamn fun. A lot of variety with the weapons, some are easy and some are harder to use. I didn't mind the cover system, although it had it's problems, like when you would heal yourself, and then the ******* game automatically makes you stand up and leads you to sometimes dying. Or when they would throw a grenade, you roll, but you don't roll into cover, you just roll and stand up. Annoying. You also play in 3rd person, but for some reason the camera is content in forcing you to view in almost a first person state, where when you're in cover, at times it's hard to see enemies until you come out of cover. Very frustrating. Realistic? Maybe.

However, like the characters, there's just not enough of gun gameplay. They'd give you a taste, then it would go to a cutscene. They'd give you a taste, oh now you have to ******* walk around for 5 minutes. * off, just let me shoot s**t.

The biggest gripe I have with this game, is the lack of control you feel when you play this game.

The game runs on the same formula, throughout the game. You watch a cutscene, you then start walking real slow, picking up USELESS items to look at, with no clue what it means, what the context is, and then you continue walking. You then run into another cutscene, then you have the fun gunplay action, more walking, and more cutscenes. Rinse and repeat.

They separate the walking and the gunplay, so you can't aim when you're walking. This takes out a LOT of the intensity of the game, because you know nothing is going to ******* happen during this time. You're not sitting on edge, while you traverse through enemy territory. And a couple of hours in, you realise, if someone were to pop out, all you need to do is a simple QTE.

Now onto the QTE. It's not as bad as everyone says it is. I didn't mind it. Buuuutt, I had the game on the hardest difficulty (which wasn't very hard), and the QTE was pretty simple. But they also had this really weird QTE with the right stick, which made it awkward to use, hence harder, but they made it so easy that you have like 5 full seconds to get it right. This means you don't have the quick cinematic action you would normally have in a QTE, and essentially it's just low time, oh s**t awkward QTE movement, etc.

Also, QTE in the final boss battle? Go get ****ed.

A positive in this game, are the lycan fights. Very, very fun, and very very intense.

On a final note with the gameplay, I think it kinda plays out like a game of Time Crisis. It just feels like the game forces you to take a certain path that they've made for you, you go down it into a room with bad guys, okay now you have a bit of control and you shoot them. You clear the area, and you repeat the cycle. You never feel like you have control, you're just watching the story play out, and then sit up and shoot some guys when the game tells you to.

As for the length of the game, it probably took me about 11-12 hours to beat it, and I'm pretty happy with that length. But look at it this way, I wanted to know more about the characters, and I wanted to play more of the gun fights, yet I'm pretty happy for the game to end at that point. Definitely not worth the full price.

The game was enjoyable enough, but then again, I'm going to return this game first thing tomorrow. Does The Order do anything knew? Nah, not really. Can't say this game is a must play, but it's probably not a definitely do not buy.

6/10

Sooooo I beat the game.... a lot of hit and misses for me.

Let's start with the graphics. Yeah, it's good. But there's only so much it can work with. The place is dreary, it's dull, and it's dark. You never really get into an open field, or a place with great scenery to really appreciate the graphics. You're constantly in tight spaces, tunnels where it's dark and can't see s**t, so really, the graphics were a bit meh for me.

Story. The story is goddamn boring. And that's not even the most frustrating part. Yes, there were loose ends, but there were also loose beginnings, where nothing was ever really explained. You don't really understand how The Order came to be. If I were to ask every single question, this review would be too long, so let's just say, they don't really explain s**t.

The characters are pretty cool, I'll give the game that. They don't really go in depth with them though, but I think the game gets it right with the side characters.

Let's get to the best and worst part of this game. The gameplay.

Firstly, the gun gameplay is goddamn fun. A lot of variety with the weapons, some are easy and some are harder to use. I didn't mind the cover system, although it had it's problems, like when you would heal yourself, and then the ******* game automatically makes you stand up and leads you to sometimes dying. Or when they would throw a grenade, you roll, but you don't roll into cover, you just roll and stand up. Annoying. You also play in 3rd person, but for some reason the camera is content in forcing you to view in almost a first person state, where when you're in cover, at times it's hard to see enemies until you come out of cover. Very frustrating. Realistic? Maybe.

However, like the characters, there's just not enough of gun gameplay. They'd give you a taste, then it would go to a cutscene. They'd give you a taste, oh now you have to ******* walk around for 5 minutes. **** off, just let me shoot s**t.

The biggest gripe I have with this game, is the lack of control you feel when you play this game.

The game runs on the same formula, throughout the game. You watch a cutscene, you then start walking real slow, picking up USELESS items to look at, with no clue what it means, what the context is, and then you continue walking. You then run into another cutscene, then you have the fun gunplay action, more walking, and more cutscenes. Rinse and repeat.

They separate the walking and the gunplay, so you can't aim when you're walking. This takes out a LOT of the intensity of the game, because you know nothing is going to ******* happen during this time. You're not sitting on edge, while you traverse through enemy territory. And a couple of hours in, you realise, if someone were to pop out, all you need to do is a simple QTE.

Now onto the QTE. It's not as bad as everyone says it is. I didn't mind it. Buuuutt, I had the game on the hardest difficulty (which wasn't very hard), and the QTE was pretty simple. But they also had this really weird QTE with the right stick, which made it awkward to use, hence harder, but they made it so easy that you have like 5 full seconds to get it right. This means you don't have the quick cinematic action you would normally have in a QTE, and essentially it's just low time, oh s**t awkward QTE movement, etc.

Also, QTE in the final boss battle? Go get stuffed.

A positive in this game, are the lycan fights. Very, very fun, and very very intense.

On a final note with the gameplay, I think it kinda plays out like a game of Time Crisis. It just feels like the game forces you to take a certain path that they've made for you, you go down it into a room with bad guys, okay now you have a bit of control and you shoot them. You clear the area, and you repeat the cycle. You never feel like you have control, you're just watching the story play out, and then sit up and shoot some guys when the game tells you to.

As for the length of the game, it probably took me about 11-12 hours to beat it, and I'm pretty happy with that length. But look at it this way, I wanted to know more about the characters, and I wanted to play more of the gun fights, yet I'm pretty happy for the game to end at that point. Definitely not worth the full price.

The game was enjoyable enough, but then again, I'm going to return this game first thing tomorrow. Does The Order do anything knew? Nah, not really. Can't say this game is a must play, but it's probably not a definitely do not buy.

6/10

The QTE final boss was a huge slap in the face. It was the same as the first 'boss' you fight.

They also did nothing with the 'Jack The Ripper' reveal in the end. Why didn't we get to explore that after killing Lucan?

The QTE final boss was a huge slap in the face. It was the same as the first 'boss' you fight.

They also did nothing with the 'Jack The Ripper' reveal in the end. Why didn't we get to explore that after killing Lucan?
I was full on expecting a Lycan battle with Lucan. That would have been SO epic, seriously.

Also, it was probably until we were breaching Lord Hastings mansion, did I realise that Lucan seemed like Lycan and that he could possibly be a wolf haha.

I also was expecting the Order to be a group of vampires, because at the start of a game, you come across mirrors. And I was trying to look into them, but you couldn't see yourself so I thought maybe vampire?

Isn't it something like 6 hours long for 1 1/2 hours of cutscenes or have I heard wrong?

Anyone want to sell their copy? I'll give you $50 ;). That's gotta be $40 more than EB will give you.

Damn you should've told me you were looking to buy ;)

EB are offering $28 for a game out for a week that they sell for $99. Classic EB.

Anyone want to sell their copy? I'll give you $50 ;). That's gotta be $40 more than EB will give you.
If you for real I should hopefully be finished tonight.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well that was probably the easier plat ever. All in one playthrough.

Started it in the early morning, 6 hours later...

giphy.gif

I did enjoy the game though, it is getting an unfair amount of hatred.

That's the thing, it was enjoyable but I don't know if you can get away with a 5-7hr single player campaign filled with QTEs with no multiplayer elements these days.

In my mind it was the PS4's first major new IP exclusive, and I was hoping for something closer to The Last of Us.

I took it back the next day and picked up Evolve so it wasn't a total disaster, but maybe I just had unreasonable hopes for it?

That's the thing, it was enjoyable but I don't know if you can get away with a 5-7hr single player campaign filled with QTEs with no multiplayer elements these days.

In my mind it was the PS4's first major new IP exclusive, and I was hoping for something closer to The Last of Us.

I took it back the next day and picked up Evolve so it wasn't a total disaster, but maybe I just had unreasonable hopes for it?

If TLOU is the type of expectations you put on a game then it's probably never going to satisfy you. :p

Finished it this afternoon, the last fight was majorly disappointing, it was basically the same thing you did in chapter 5 or whatever it was.

Missed a few collectables, went back and platinumed it with a guide, very very easy platinum.

It's looks fantastic and the gunplay is immensely enjoyable - the arc and the thermite guns are brilliant... It's just a shame you can't use them as often as you'd like.

The game does itself a disservice with all the QTEs and the cut scenes. All it did for me was break the immersion and didn't allow me to form an attachment with any of the characters - so when the plot twists came about I simply didn't care because Id barely spent any time actually playing with the characters.

Which is a shame as they weren't bland characters by any stretch of the imagination.

And someone needs to work on the naming of the characters.
Lucan... Lycan??? One letter difference and youre setting it up as a surprise? It was the first thing I thought when I heard his name

Twist might have been more impactful if Id actually spent some time playing alongside that character as well but that's again to do with all the cut scenes minimizing the immersion.

And the Lycan fights were very tame. Very disappointing to be honest.

But I don't hate the game, it was a decent effort. Probably a 6/10 but there's definitely a great game in there somewhere. It's just not there right now, hopefully they get a sequel and can improve based off the criticism it's deservedly received so far which to me is basically more guns and less scenes.

I'm a couple of hours in now which means I must nearly be finished hur hur.
Anyway. I like it, I don't understand any of the hate. The visuals are superb and it plays very well, I like the story even though the ending seems obvious and I like the characters.

well, I reckon the fact you started it at 8pm last night and have finished it not 24 hours later with no possibility of any further value out of it might have something to do with it1!
Why should it? You don't review a game based on what's not there, you review a game on the content given and whether it's good or not.

This whole fiasco about game length is absolutely ridiculous, the main factor of a game is whether it's good or not. Not whether it takes long to finish.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back