The Perth Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Emu or Swan?

Or, more to the point, Export or Bitter?

I'm sure the k0000ky UWA law students here will try and argue Export as better but that's just not true. It's blatantly, obviously Bitter. It's got the strength and to make kids who drink Corona go "urgh yuck." Bit of malt. Swan's inoffensive, not bad, but needs something to it. But why did they change the logo? This used to be the sign of a proper working class household

DMbeer%26stout00149e.jpg

Emu or Swan?

I'm sure the k0000ky UWA law students here will try and argue Export as better but that's just not true. It's blatantly, obviously Bitter. It's got the strength and to make kids who drink Corona go "urgh yuck." Bit of malt. Swan's inoffensive, not bad, but needs something to it. But why did they change the logo? This used to be the sign of a proper working class household

DMbeer%26stout00149e.jpg

I'm a Swan Draught man first but I'm always happy with Export or Bitter.Export is better than Bitter but the price of Export has gotten ridiculous recently.

They tried to charge me over $45 for a block on grand final day. james brayshaw can confirm

I love how Swan Draught has still refused to admit that West Coast won the spoon in 2010

When I lived in Geraldton all I drank was Emu Bitter. Never drank it before I went there or since I left.

I'm a Swan Draught man first but I'm always happy with Export or Bitter.Export is better than Bitter but the price of Export has gotten ridiculous recently.

They tried to charge me over $45 for a block on grand final day. james brayshaw can confirm

I love how Swan Draught has still refused to admit that West Coast won the spoon in 2010
It's a load of s**t that Export is still some kind of cultural icon with uni students when it's not even cheap anymore. The thing with these (alcohol) trends is that, as soon as it's noticeably a trend, they lose the thing that made them a trend (the price). What are those 500 mil tinnies they sell at BWS? Just in a silver can? Well they were about $12 for a sixy this time last year and they're at $16 now. Simply because everyone's cashing in on and people are probably still buying it because they remembered they were cheap. Now Angus Litherland are selling these little Belgian knock-offs for $11 and no one's caught on. You wait, as soon as they do, they'll go up as well.

So, now, Export has lost all its lustre but lads still think it'll make them look really funny or something. For $45 a slab you might as well buy a beer that's actually nice and not just cultural credit. Wouldn't you rather a nice beer you enjoy? Whether it's white basic kids in Perth or hipsters in Brunswick, no one cares about the label on your lager or Brooklyn IPA.

I'm right in saying that Bitter used to be 4.9 or 5.0% and is now 4.3%, yes?
Didn't a heap of Australian brewed beers (which is about 70% of 'European' beers too I guess...) change a fair bit in this regard when they upped the floor price? They started stinging more tax with a higher percentage. I always thought that's why Little Creatures only sell four packs of IPAs – because they're two standards each or something, and they'd be $25 if there were six.

It's a load of s**t that Export is still some kind of cultural icon with uni students when it's not even cheap anymore. The thing with these (alcohol) trends is that, as soon as it's noticeably a trend, they lose the thing that made them a trend (the price). What are those 500 mil tinnies they sell at BWS? Just in a silver can? Well they were about $12 for a sixy this time last year and they're at $16 now. Simply because everyone's cashing in on and people are probably still buying it because they remembered they were cheap. Now Angus Litherland are selling these little Belgian knock-offs for $11 and no one's caught on. You wait, as soon as they do, they'll go up as well.

So, now, Export has lost all its lustre but lads still think it'll make them look really funny or something. For $45 a slab you might as well buy a beer that's actually nice and not just cultural credit. Wouldn't you rather a nice beer you enjoy? Whether it's white basic kids in Perth or hipsters in Brunswick, no one cares about the label on your lager or Brooklyn IPA.

Yeah I swapped to something straight away. I think Carlton Draught because it was the cheapest there.

I actually do like Export but for that sort of price I can get something I like more.

Didn't a heap of Australian brewed beers (which is about 70% of 'European' beers too I guess...) change a fair bit in this regard when they upped the floor price? They started stinging more tax with a higher percentage. I always thought that's why Little Creatures only sell four packs of IPAs – because they're two standards each or something, and they'd be $25 if there were six.

Yeah, quite a few things changed whilst I was living overseas, mostly prices!!, but yeah, I didn't notice this until I checked out a can recently at a bbq.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

https://www.danmurphys.com.au/produ...151FA02BA473ACB4.ncdlmorasp1301?bmUID=kACe4Q4

According to Dan Murphys EB is not only a 'classic South Australian lager' but is also 4.0% alcohol.

Emu Bitter is brewed in South Australia now. and yeah 4%

EE should be 30 for 30. That was the point. Cheapest you can get it now is about $35 in special. No way I'd pay $45.

I bought a case of Kingfisher the other day to give it a go. Pretty plain, not much on it but only $30 for 24 x 330mL.

Costs about 35 dollars wholesale for most places

Perth is definitely a victim of becoming a big place well after "Let's drive everywhere and vote Menzies" was a permanent thing. Until the 1960s its population was the size of Newcastle.

So its an awfully sprawled out place that becomes suburban very quickly.

Emu or Swan?

DMbeer%26stout00149e.jpg

Prefer Swan draught, never had EB actually. Exports are tolerable.
Not sure what the fuss about exports are. It seems like we bought them once as a joke and now it's become an actual thing.

Export tastes like piss. There was a period there where drinking it warm was the thing too. * this society. You could be boring, never make anyone laugh, never get girls, never say anything provocative or interesting, and yet drinking a warm Export made you have authenticity. Youth culture has been ****ed since Blink 182 and their puncey eyebrow piercings

Emu Bitter was always the go to beer back when I was a youngster in WA, it was probably the cheapest carton available, would've been less than 30 bucks but still seemed expensive back then.

No one drank Emu Export as it was shithouse, you'd maybe drink VB as it was similar to EB in taste and price or maybe Swan which wasn't too bad but that was mainly on tap.

There weren't the sophisticated beer options we have today, I haven't drunk EB, VB or Swan in years, prefer something more w***erish like Little Creatures Pale Ale.

Last edited:
Export tastes like piss. There was a period there where drinking it warm was the thing too. **** this society. You could be boring, never make anyone laugh, never get girls, never say anything provocative or interesting, and yet drinking a warm Export made you have authenticity. Youth culture has been ****** since Blink 182 and their puncey eyebrow piercings

I like my export warm and i couldn't care less if its the thing to do or not.

I know...

Ridiculous.

How can I get a carton of beer imported from another country for $30 retail but the shop selling it can't get a carton produced here for less than $35?
Probably why the big Australian brands have taken a hammering in the past few years. People in general are drinking less but better, Nobody wants to pay over 50 dollars for crown lager

Reason why swan was leaking money over here and packed it up and moved to SA.

Export tastes like piss. There was a period there where drinking it warm was the thing too. **** this society. You could be boring, never make anyone laugh, never get girls, never say anything provocative or interesting, and yet drinking a warm Export made you have authenticity. Youth culture has been ****** since Blink 182 and their puncey eyebrow piercings

Export tastes better warm.

Bitter? urg, horrific

God those Victorian flogs have gotten to you.

Probably why the big Australian brands have taken a hammering in the past few years. People in general are drinking less but better, Nobody wants to pay over 50 dollars for crown lager

Reason why swan was leaking money over here and packed it up and moved to SA.

I know why Lion Nathan shut up shop over here.

What I don't get is why we can't brew beer (s**t or otherwise) at the same cost as shipping it halfway across the world.

Emu Bitter was always the go to beer back when I was a youngster in WA, it was probably the cheapest carton available, would've been less than 30 bucks but still seemed expensive back then.

No one drank Emu Export as it was shithouse, you'd maybe drink VB as it was similar to EB in taste and price or maybe Swan which wasn't too bad but that was mainly on tap.

There weren't the sophisticated beer options we have today, I haven't drunk EB, VB or Swan in years, prefer something more ******ish like Little Creatures Pale Ale.

Drank export as a youngster cos it was cheap. jugs at pubs were basically swan draught

late 80's I used to drink a fair bit of swan gold. don't remember what full strength I used to drink back then

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back