The Perth Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Perth = the city where it smart to go to bed with a water bottle so you can make it through the night and wake up hydrated
I'd be surprised if you woke up hydrated. Sleeping normally has the opposite effect.

I always have water nearby when sleeping, no matter where I am.

Dunno why anybody would leave in the afternoon if going away for a long weekend. Either leave first thing in the morning (work/school permitting) or later at night. It's the same with coming back.
I went past the Roe Hwy at Karel Ave at noon and it was backed up for kms then. It was the same at 3pm. A lot of people try and leave early in the day, rather than at the end of the school day or after work finishes but it's the same story every freaking long weekend. ALWAYS!!

Dunno why people just don't leave a 5am and breeze through all the way to Bunbury or wherever one is headed to.

I went past the Roe Hwy at Karel Ave at noon and it was backed up for kms then. It was the same at 3pm. A lot of people try and leave early in the day, rather than at the end of the school day or after work finishes but it's the same story every freaking long weekend. ALWAYS!!

The worst freeway on ramp entry in Australia that is.

The worst freeway on ramp entry in Australia that is.
I thought the Emperor and co promised they would finish the Roe right through to Freo??
I didn't expect it to take till 2030 to get around to it!! :mad:
It'd certainly be one of the most dangerous- I can't think of a lot of places that meet where a major freeway full of trucks meets a 100kph road without a decent long parallel road to ease them into the flow. Not a stupid 10m zone that wedges down into no lane over a railway bridge! :mad: I don't know how many accidents I've seen between there and Berrigan Dr, as people try to get back to the LHS to get off the freeway. :(
Stupid design. Stupid engineers. Stupid government. Stupid greenies....

The karrinyup road on ramp meeting with the cedric street off ramp followed up by the on lane finishing almost as soon as you get on to the freeway - just crazy s**t.
Similar set up to the manning road exit - don't know which engineer thought those would work well

The karrinyup road on ramp meeting with the cedric street off ramp followed up by the on lane finishing almost as soon as you get on to the freeway - just crazy s**t.
Similar set up to the manning road exit - don't know which engineer thought those would work well
I don't know the Karrinyup Rd on ramp but I get what you're saying. Hopefully someone might have a brainwave and work out a better way.
*need more girl engineers ;)

I thought the Emperor and co promised they would finish the Roe right through to Freo??

I think it will only go as far as Stock Rd. Way back when all of this was planned, there was going to be a bridge from the end of Stock Rd over the river to Dalkeith. Somehow that never got built. The land reserve for Roe only extends as far as Stock Rd, there's no reserve from there to Freo - have a look at Google Earth, you'll see the undeveloped corridors with bushland quite clearly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think it will only go as far as Stock Rd. Way back when all of this was planned, there was going to be a bridge from the end of Stock Rd over the river to Dalkeith. Somehow that never got built. The land reserve for Roe only extends as far as Stock Rd, there's no reserve from there to Freo - have a look at Google Earth, you'll see the undeveloped corridors with bushland quite clearly.
I am obviously not the full bottle on the Roe Hwy. Never thought I'd use it out that side of town so didn't pay a lot of attention to the plans but I'm sure you're right. So it's meant to go to Stock Rd, then the trucks link up maybe to Stirling Hwy from there?

I am obviously not the full bottle on the Roe Hwy. Never thought I'd use it out that side of town so didn't pay a lot of attention to the plans but I'm sure you're right. So it's meant to go to Stock Rd, then the trucks link up maybe to Stirling Hwy from there?

It was supposed to be a second major north-south link. But that was planned by engineers looking at a map, not by people with an understanding or property values or politics. So it will never happen.

The idea has been modified a bit to be a link for heavy vehicles coming up from the southern coastal industrial strip via Stock Road to Roe Hwy and the Kwinana Freeway. Still a worthy aim in itself. They could consider upgrading some parts of Stock Road to freeway standard also.

It was supposed to be a second major north-south link. But that was planned by engineers looking at a map, not by people with an understanding or property values or politics. So it will never happen.

The idea has been modified a bit to be a link for heavy vehicles coming up from the southern coastal industrial strip via Stock Road to Roe Hwy and the Kwinana Freeway. Still a worthy aim in itself. They could consider upgrading some parts of Stock Road to freeway standard also.
It's bloody handy for getting to the airport! Now if they can only complete that work on Tonkin, it will be a dream! :D

If you're talking terrible merges, surely the Murray St on-ramp/Riverside Dr off-ramp in the city takes the cake (just shading Roe Hwy). Absolute *ation that two lanes coming on from Murray St have to merge to one and then still merge twice to get to the freeway south in the space of about 400m.

Canning/Manning and Cedric/Karrinyup have nothing on that merge.

If you're talking terrible merges, surely the Murray St on-ramp/Riverside Dr off-ramp in the city takes the cake (just shading Roe Hwy). Absolute ******ation that two lanes coming on from Murray St have to merge to one and then still merge twice to get to the freeway south in the space of about 400m.

I did that yesterday- but from the street before Murray. Hang on- what's it called?? Wellington St. You get an extra lane to merge there- goes into Murray, then across :(
and while you're watching in your rear view mirror, over your shoulder and in front of you, you're meant to be looking at your speedo at the same time!! Crazy stuff when it's busy!

It's bloody handy for getting to the airport! Now if they can only complete that work on Tonkin, it will be a dream! :D

Have you been on the detour they have in place to get to the airport? It's ridiculous and takes double the time it would take going the normal way.

Have you been on the detour they have in place to get to the airport? It's ridiculous and takes double the time it would take going the normal way.
I've only had to go to the domestic airport a few times in the past month or so, which is good. I'd hate to try and find my way around that place in the dark!

I've only had to go to the domestic airport a few times in the past month or so, which is good. I'd hate to try and find my way around that place in the dark!

Tell me about it. My Dad did a three week trip over the holiday period to visit various rellos interstate. I did the drop-off and pick-up, at night, becuase he booked the cheap flights. Things is that about 3 weeks apart things had changed quite a bit.

If you're talking terrible merges, surely the Murray St on-ramp/Riverside Dr off-ramp in the city takes the cake (just shading Roe Hwy). Absolute ******ation that two lanes coming on from Murray St have to merge to one and then still merge twice to get to the freeway south in the space of about 400m.

Yes that one is an absolute nightmare - you have Charles street getting on, followed soon after the graham farmer freeway and then the Murray street one all trying to get across to the Central lanes - it's a joke that whole parliament house section

Tell me about it. My Dad did a three week trip over the holiday period to visit various rellos interstate. I did the drop-off and pick-up, at night, becuase he booked the cheap flights. Things is that about 3 weeks apart things had changed quite a bit.
Interstate? I think going to T3&4 is ok as long as you don't fall off onto one of those poorly marked side shoots coming out of the LH lane but, if you're travelling North and expecting to turn into Horrie Miller Dr from the RH lane... :eek: - you need to zip quickly over to the LH side *BEEP BEEP* and turn off onto a left hand detour. :mad:
I was there in the day time when it was pretty quiet and someone had warned me, so I was looking out for the turn off in case I need to use it one evening.
You're right though- it does change quickly. You just have to be careful and be aware that it's like a mad woman's breakfast atm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back