The Perth Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
somewhere in the US. It was closed down for years because of how many accidents were occuring, but its being re-opened again..

Right, so not the one I was thinking about then. Perth used to have a water park back in the 80's (apart from Adventure World), but I cannot for the life of me remember what it was called or where it was located.

I was 99% sure it was called Action water park or something similar...

Right, so not the one I was thinking about then. Perth used to have a water park back in the 80's (apart from Adventure World), but I cannot for the life of me remember what it was called or where it was located.

Atlantis in Yanchep?

yeah mate, action water park in mirrabooka is probably the one you are thinking of

Went to Mirrabooka High. Played footy with Tuart Hill, Mirrabooka, Westminster-Balga, ammos with Nollamara. Showing the age, but Nolla was a pretty powerful club, 5 senior teams, colts, perennial A grade club. Now, struggling to field a side in the real lower grades. Good times in the junior comps, playing against the likes of Koondoola, Balga Blue, Balga Orange, Nollamara, Mirrabooka, Westminster, North Innaloo, Girrawheen. What made Nolla so powerful, all the young blokes came from these clubs, apart from to North Innaloo, to play for Nolla.
Now live in a leafier, softer middle class suburb.

Perth now officially has South Park!

Seriously, how unaware are the dicks who make decisions like this?

south-park-s01e02c02-kathie-lee-is-coming-16x9.jpg

I note the general madness and tax dodge that is Hutt River Province is still up and about, they even have a web page. I note with sadness Princess Shirley passed away last year, although I trust Princes Ian and Wayne will be on hand to ensure the survival of the principality.

*Principality of Hutt River.

Crown Prince Leonard is still going strong.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Went to Mirrabooka High. Played footy with Tuart Hill, Mirrabooka, Westminster-Balga, ammos with Nollamara. Showing the age, but Nolla was a pretty powerful club, 5 senior teams, colts, perennial A grade club. Now, struggling to field a side in the real lower grades. Good times in the junior comps, playing against the likes of Koondoola, Balga Blue, Balga Orange, Nollamara, Mirrabooka, Westminster, North Innaloo, Girrawheen. What made Nolla so powerful, all the young blokes came from these clubs, apart from to North Innaloo, to play for Nolla.
Now live in a leafier, softer middle class suburb.
Nolla have struggled for a good decade or so.

They had a good run in the A Grade Ammos in the late 90's thanks to a injection in cash and got some quality players. Once the money ran out, the players took off and they quickly dropped down the grades.

When I started playing ammos in the late 90's there was Bassendean, Dianella Morley and Nollamara all playing in A or B Grade. These days they are really struggling to compete.

There was also a Wet'n Wild water park down in Freo, was pretty lame like most Perth theme parks.

It had a few half decent slides and a big swimming pool, it was wet but it left a lot to be desired in the wild department.

There was also a Wet'n Wild water park down in Freo, was pretty lame like most Perth theme parks.

It had a few half decent slides and a big swimming pool, it was wet but it left a lot to be desired in the wild department.
Sounds exactly like the Kalamunda one.

It's very sad to see the state of footy in 2014 Australia. A club back home have been getting guys like Aker to come down to play and have functions, but the club struggles to get traction and the closest they've come to a win in half a decade is a 31 point loss. Apparently, it's emblematic – I've heard some figure, something like 8 clubs have started up in the last decade.

But it's not just a lack of start ups, it's the death of proper old sides. It seems the common link is those from working class areas. Is this due to kids, in the 70s, having nothing but footy to fill boredom? Is it easier to jump on trains and drink cheap piss and get cheap drugs these days? I don't know, but it seems a serious issue. Right now, in the GSFL (formerly Southern Districts), the tiny town of Mt Barker (around 2,500 these days) fielded North and South teams and both were chock of amazing talents, some of who were too homesick to make more than awesome initial inspections for Claremont. Now, the amalgamated Barker Bulls are relying on guest stints from Byron Schammer to keep afloat (despite bringing up Aaron Sandilands). It's very sad, if not for the towns, but for the lost history – history no one now cares about

It's very sad to see the state of footy in 2014 Australia. A club back home have been getting guys like Aker to come down to play and have functions, but the club struggles to get traction and the closest they've come to a win in half a decade is a 31 point loss. Apparently, it's emblematic – I've heard some figure, something like 8 clubs have started up in the last decade.

But it's not just a lack of start ups, it's the death of proper old sides. It seems the common link is those from working class areas. Is this due to kids, in the 70s, having nothing but footy to fill boredom? Is it easier to jump on trains and drink cheap piss and get cheap drugs these days? I don't know, but it seems a serious issue. Right now, in the GSFL (formerly Southern Districts), the tiny town of Mt Barker (around 2,500 these days) fielded North and South teams and both were chock of amazing talents, some of who were too homesick to make more than awesome initial inspections for Claremont. Now, the amalgamated Barker Bulls are relying on guest stints from Byron Schammer to keep afloat (despite bringing up Aaron Sandilands). It's very sad, if not for the towns, but for the lost history – history no one now cares about
What is the difference in population in towns like Mt Barker comparatively from the 70's to now? Specifically in the age demographic of people playing footy. I was a day boy at a boarding school, and a lot of the talented boarders who played footy (and back in the 70's most likely would have returned home permanently afterwards) now go travelling, go to university, or get used to suburban life and move into the big smoke permanently. Couple that with country towns in general shrinking and it has a direct influence on footy clubs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back