The Perth Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
You've made quite a jump there, haven't you? This was about retail trading, which is where most of the impact of Sunday trading lies.
Oh, I'm sorry. I thought you said you wanted to
change our society to enable a collective rest on Sunday, rather than destroying the day of rest.
So that's a collective rest on Sunday, except for the people who service the things you want to do?

Coffee at home- buy a coffee machine.
Cook your own meals- no need for restaurants to be open.
Bars- you got a fridge? And a BBQ? Invite some friends over and drink your fridge dry.

You got a door, you got a gym :p

Do we need to have someone give us something to keep us amused for every day of the year?
Whatever happened to people's creativity?
Coffee at home- buy a coffee machine.
Cook your own meals- no need for restaurants to be open.
Bars- you got a fridge? And a BBQ? Invite some friends over and drink your fridge dry.
Theme parks? Sporting events? You seriously need that EVERY single weekend?
No, I don't need it EVERY weekend, but you're proposing that we don't need it ANY weekend.

Wasnt it a 65-35 split for DLS in the metro area but the 10-90 split in country areas meant it didnt get in. Cant see the country folk changing their minds. I voted against it cause i didnt care and the melts from the pro DLS folk are so so good. Now im for it as i have kids now and as soon the suns up theyre up and that will be 5am soon. Urrgggh

Metro Area 50.40-49.60
Rural 29.96-70.04

Metro Area 50.40-49.60
Rural 29.96-70.04
Always was prone to exaggeration!! Pretty hard to convince those in the country. No freo doctor coming in in the arvo to cool things down and beach not really an option. Just stays hot till the sun goes down

Always was prone to exaggeration!! Pretty hard to convince those in the country. No freo doctor coming in in the arvo to cool things down and beach not really an option. Just stays hot till the sun goes down
Shorter commutes mean home earlier or youre working on the land or the mines where DLS makes no difference?

Shorter commutes mean home earlier or youre working on the land or the mines where DLS makes no difference?
Preaching to the choir. Was teaching in the country during the 3 year trial. Just remember it being hot during cricket training but didnt mind it, beers just went down easier afterwards

(Log in to remove this ad.)

#JustParisThings
#JustMunichThings
#JustGenevaThings
#JustBudapestThings
#JustBarcelonaThings
Just because big, famous cities do it, that doesn't mean that they're a good model or a good excuse. Geneva is a boring city in its own right, but the reality is tourists still get frustrated at the lack of Sunday trading and plenty of younger locals also hate it. They're also cities waaaaaaaaaaaaay older than Perth, with totally different, totally more unique cultures. You really can't compare the two.

Spain / Catalan with their break through the middle of the day, dinner at 10pm and generally avoiding the middle of the day heat while doing stuff into the night. Now that would be brilliant here in summer considering the shared climate.
Spain is so, so cool. It's really relaxing to go out for dinner at 10pm, have a few quiet beers or coffees until 1, and then decide if you want to punch on and go to a club at about 2:30. It's so unique but it fits their people and climate really well. The other thing is, you rarely see dickheads abuse it – and plenty of older people are out until that time too.

But yeah, the idea of a rest day is pretty offensive. What if you're a Muslim? What if you want to, as Balkan said, go out and have fun? Why should you be forced to sit around sleeping, playing scrabble, or praising religion? I don't know why I'm even bothering with this, because the Speaker's coming from such a rare, weird perspective that you'd never really even need to raise this argument again. Most people against it come from a "what about sports? What about small business?" perspective. Speaker's also shutting down everyone else's argument as shallow and obvious, but his argument is... shallow and obvious...

Sunday trading is awesome, as is trading late into the night (I mean 7pm most nights, 9pm on a Friday or something). It could really invigorate Perth CBD.

Spain is so, so cool. It's really relaxing to go out for dinner at 10pm, have a few quiet beers or coffees until 1, and then decide if you want to punch on and go to a club at about 2:30. It's so unique but it fits their people and climate really well. The other thing is, you rarely see dickheads abuse it – and plenty of older people are out until that time too.

But yeah, the idea of a rest day is pretty offensive. What if you're a Muslim? What if you want to, as Balkan said, go out and have fun? Why should you be forced to sit around sleeping, playing scrabble, or praising religion? I don't know why I'm even bothering with this, because the Speaker's coming from such a rare, weird perspective that you'd never really even need to raise this argument again. Most people against it come from a "what about sports? What about small business?" perspective. Speaker's also shutting down everyone else's argument as shallow and obvious, but his argument is... shallow and obvious...

Sunday trading is awesome, as is trading late into the night (I mean 7pm most nights, 9pm on a Friday or something). It could really invigorate Perth CBD.
Certainly on my to visit list in the future.

As for CBD trading, expensive paid parking really kills that. Expensive pain in the arse if you are only going there for shopping.

Certainly on my to visit list in the future.

As for CBD trading, expensive paid parking really kills that. Expensive pain in the arse if you are only going there for shopping.

So much this

They want people to come to the city, but charge an arm and a leg to go there.

Drop the prices or make it free on weekends and you will get more people coming.

Just because big, famous cities do it, that doesn't mean that they're a good model or a good excuse. Geneva is a boring city in its own right, but the reality is tourists still get frustrated at the lack of Sunday trading and plenty of younger locals also hate it. They're also cities waaaaaaaaaaaaay older than Perth, with totally different, totally more unique cultures. You really can't compare the two.

The only thing about the Spain siesta thing I didn't like was how shops would shut from about 12-4pm or something which made it difficult to buy anything then but I guess you would get used to it if you lived there.

I did like the eating dinner later and going out later thing they have there while having a nap during the day when it's hottest, makes a lot of sense.

Or even drop the price of trains. It's alright for me as I have a student smart rider but those who pay full price are getting ripped off.

Trains don't really help if you've got a lot of shopping or bulky items though. Plus there is the lazy element who would rather drive than catch public transport.

Or even drop the price of trains. It's alright for me as I have a student smart rider but those who pay full price are getting ripped off.
It's amazing that something can be so travel friendly, yet not at the same time with price.

But what if they abolish penalty rates?
Id probably still work Sunday's it's Saturdays that Ill never work because I play sport all year round and Sunday I just never have anything on. My Mrs is a nurse so her days off change every week anyway and we've gotten used going out and doing stuff during the week.

With getting rid of penalty rates I'd be more worried about the people who need to work every Sunday just to make ends meet (which we have a few at our work), and while lots of people would refuse to work Sunday's there is plenty of people out desperate for hours that they would be able to fill those shifts again sadly.

Working 11am to 5pm Sunday isn't bad at all – best shift you can have. You can usually shake off a hangover by 1pm and you're not getting up ludicrously early. Of course, unless you're a manager or you've been kissing Coles' arse for six years, you'll cop the 7am shifts every time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back