The Perth travel myth

Remove this Banner Ad

I stand corrected on my post, I think I over estimated the numbers. However, I'll take the word of the players that travel on the level that they have to do, compounds over time and leaves effects.

You'd think so, but a quick look at the most games played from guys whose careers have included the past 10 years shows a disproportionate number playing in non-vic clubs, so if anything the evidence goes the other way!

travel is not a myth, not an excuse either.
But it certainly is real, any club that has to travel an extensive distance more a season that 10 other competitors in the same comp cannot possibly have an effect.
How much it has in impact is the question but it is there and no sensible person can deny it isn't. Some great sides have overcome it but that was simply because they are a better side.

Surely youre not trying to say that travel cost Cox a 300 game career? Not just good old fashioned old age?

Did I say anything of the sort?

I'm just disputing that he could have played on a season.

In terms of in season recovery the travel is a factor though. That is undeniable. It's also a factor that we'll just have to deal with

Surely youre not trying to say that travel cost Cox a 300 game career? Not just good old fashioned old age?
Said like a shortarse - air travel is the fn pits when you are tall - my knees are jammed into the seat in front of me - any flight more that a couple of hours means im stiff as a board when i get off. Let alone after a game of footy.

Said like a shortarse - air travel is the fn pits when you are tall - my knees are jammed into the seat in front of me - any flight more that a couple of hours means im stiff as a board when i get off. Let alone after a game of footy.
Yeah, no doubt air travel would be tougher on your rucks and key position players, even if they are springing for premium economy.

Travel is a huge factor that would be contemplated when it comes to playing footy for an interstate team. According to Travis King and Alex Malcolm, Collingwood was up in the sky for roughly 20 hours this year. In comparison, both Western Australian teams racked up close to 80 hours each, irrefutably taking years off a player’s career and making Western Australian teams a far less tempting proposition to play for. With both Western Australian teams finishing one and two this year, a strong argument can be made that it has no impact. Both West Coast and Fremantle boasted very healthy records at Domain Stadium this year, suggesting that the home ground advantage is furthered in Perth compared to other stadiums.

Perhaps the disadvantage with the Perth travel factor is that the Grand Final is always played at the MCG. It was just three weeks ago that we witnessed Eagles at Domain Stadium who put the Hawthorn to the sword. This weekend couldn’t have been more different, with Hawthorn destroying West Coast in every facet of the game at the MCG. There is no doubt that had the game been played in Perth, the result could have been very different. Nevertheless, to win a premiership you must be able to beat the best at the MCG.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-01-27/extra-home-games-for-wa-teams

It's called the AFL, it's a national competition. So teams need to travel. Getting over these whinging non Victorians. West Coast, a Brisbane, Sydney, Port Adelaide, Adelaide have won 11 premierships between them since 1992, in that time Victorian clubs have won 13. 8 of those 11 wins have been against Victorian sides and 5 non Victorian sides have lost to Victorian premiers in they time. Facts are as clear as they can get. Good teams travel and win. Average teams don't.

West Coast in 2015 was an AVERAGE team, they were young, inexperienced, and their leaders DID NOT STAND UP WHEN IT MATTERED. Hawthorn are the opposite, they proved that when they beat Fremantle in a preliminary final in Perth the week before.

These threads have got to stop, seriously. Moderators, do your job and put an end to these useless threads dressed up with a different title but containing the same debate. This was started by a Vic supporter but it'll only stir up the whining non Victorians with chips on their shoulders.

Non Victorian supporters, GET OVER IT! The Grand Final is at the MCG, get it? That's where it's played. Interstate teams haven't been good enough to win a flag since 2012, and that is because Hawthorn have been amazing. Stop sooking and move on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's called the AFL, it's a national competition.
Non Victorian supporters, GET OVER IT! The Grand Final is at the MCG, get it? .

Schrodingers football supporter.

It has always been my suspicion that the idea of Perth team's being massively disadvantaged by flying back and forth is a bit whiny and lacks significant substance. As far as I am concerned my suspicion was confirmed yesterday. Neither Freo nor WC went anywhere for about month while the Hawks had to take the "arduous" journey twice, then ran all over the top of a younger, fitter and rested side. The home ground advantage that the WA teams get is far more significant than the negatives of flying back and forth.

Yeah, it's pretty funny that we're constantly reminded of the disadvantage of travelling from WA to Victoria and back again. But Hawthorn travelled over to WA 3 times at the business end of the season (in addition to their 9 other flights interstate, or 10 if you include the NAB Challenge.) Meanwhile West Coast flew east just once in the last 2 months of the season prior to Grand Final week. Hawthorn were supposed to be "tired" and the Eagles would "run over the top of them". But that failed to eventuate. Suddenly the disadvantage of the WA travel factor is swept aside and all the talk(whining) is of MCG "home ground advantages". :D

Yeah, it's pretty funny that we're constantly reminded of the disadvantage of travelling from WA to Victoria and back again. But Hawthorn travelled over to WA 3 times at the business end of the season (in addition to their 9 other flights interstate, or 10 if you include the NAB Challenge.) Meanwhile West Coast flew east just once in the last 2 months of the season prior to Grand Final week. Hawthorn were supposed to be "tired" and the Eagles would "run over the top of them". But that failed to eventuate. Suddenly the disadvantage of the WA travel factor is swept aside and all the talk(whining) is of MCG "home ground advantages". :D
Bang. Eagles travelling once in 2 months, Hawks twice in 2 weeks I. finals. Don't give me this knee jerk rubbish about 'home ground advantages'. West Coast should have been as fresh at they ever were all year, in fact the qualifying win proves they were in peak form, but they froze like a dear in the headlights on the big stage. But yeah, let's blame the ground because it's such a big deal.

Yes, against travelling interstate sides . Hawthorn got as much of a home ground advantage against us for the grand final (as we only played on that ground one other time this year ) as we did against them 3 weeks ago (they had also played at Subi once this year ). Difference is , we earned our home ground advantage , Melbourne/MCG based sides who make the grand final are guaranteed it even if they qualified lower.

Freo could definitely argue that they didn't get much of a home ground advantage.

Blame Freo they could have beat us in a home Prelim and you wouldn't be bitching....

Reality is West Coast only had about a 50% winning record vs Top 8 opposition and most of those wins probably came at Subiaco... West Coast and Hawthorn played 3 times ( 2 at Subiaco) and Hawthorn still won the head to head 2-1.... Best team won the Flag.

Blame Freo they could have beat us in a home Prelim and you wouldn't be bitching....
I do blame Freo . I was barracking for them (like I was in 2013), not just for my own team's sake either.

The WA teams and their fans are just having a sook. You get an advantage throughout the whole season, all the finals games, except the Grand Final and the competition is suddenly out to get you
Oh I'm sorry, I thought the whole point of this thread was that it proved there is no travel advantage?

Oh I'm sorry, I thought the whole point of this thread was that it proved there is no travel advantage?
My point is you cant have it both ways. The actual act of travelling accounts for cents on the dollar when considering the pros and cons of interstate games.

Having 7,8,9 times as many games with a home ground advantage every year is a massive advantage, those who complain about the GF being at The G choose to ignore the role that plays in getting them to the MCG in the first place

Remove this Banner Ad

Back