The Perth travel myth

Remove this Banner Ad

My point is you cant have it both ways. The actual act of travelling accounts for cents on the dollar when considering the pros and cons of interstate games.

Having 7,8,9 times as many games with a home ground advantage every year is a massive advantage, those who complain about the GF being at The G choose to ignore the role that plays in getting them to the MCG in the first place

And West Coast have 10 games with an away ground disadvantage every year - compared to Collingwood's two or three if you're unlucky

Oh I'm sorry, I thought the whole point of this thread was that it proved there is no travel advantage?
But it turned into a s**t fight trying to de-legitimise the flag; and because West Coast were not good enough on the day.

BF does it all the time, sore losers and bad sports fail to acknowledge a better opponent all the time. Want an example?

North making the prelim two years in a row:

Essendon - ASADA fatigue
Geelong - Too old and injured
Richmond - Chokers on the big stage
Sydney - Injured and past it

But they did a Bradbury both years.

Anyone using the MCG 'home ground' advantage as an excuse is a tool of the highest order.

West Coast were bloody hopeless on the day. Out played and out coached.

If you want an excuse, go and look at the 130 uncontested possessions and there is your answer.

West Coast Eagles: 1st of the also rans for 2015.

And?

That's just because at the moment the only really strong Victorian side is Hawthorn.
Out of Sydney, Freo and West Coast, how many times in the past, i dont know, 7 years have they played Collingwood at the MCG?

I'm open to having interstate grand finals, as soon as interstate travel between teams is split 50/50 and theres one year on, one year off, right now its not even close

Out of Sydney, Freo and West Coast, how many times in the past, i dont know, 7 years have they played Collingwood at the MCG?

I'm open to having interstate grand finals, as soon as interstate travel between teams is split 50/50 and theres one year on, one year off, right now its not even close

Even if we played Collingwood in Melbourne (which we do every year) - I'm not sure how that solves your problem of use only playing average teams in Melbourne.

The Grand Final is irrelevant. Keep it at the MCG.

West Coast lost because Hawthorn smashed us. Because they're a better team (at the moment) that performs when they need to perform.

This years finals has provided us with as good a sample period as we will ever get in order to test this. That is why the thread was made. Like I said in the op., whatever disadvantage there is in travel is more than made up for with the massive home ground advantage. An average WC will always win 90% of their home games. The players may play somewhat shorter careers, but that is about as far as I see the travel causing a problem.

Travel has always been a myth, perpetuated by the likes of Graham Cornes who used it as an excuse for his team's up and down form. Teams will travel and win if they are good enough. Simple as that.

In the final 5 weeks of 1998, the Crows travelled to Melbourne 3 times, Sydney once and Perth once ..... won the flag.

But it turned into a s**t fight trying to de-legitimise the flag; and because West Coast were not good enough on the day.

BF does it all the time, sore losers and bad sports fail to acknowledge a better opponent all the time. Want an example?

North making the prelim two years in a row:

Essendon - ASADA fatigue
Geelong - Too old and injured
Richmond - Chokers on the big stage
Sydney - Injured and past it

But they did a Bradbury both years.

Anyone using the MCG 'home ground' advantage as an excuse is a tool of the highest order.

West Coast were bloody hopeless on the day. Out played and out coached.

If you want an excuse, go and look at the 130 uncontested possessions and there is your answer.

West Coast Eagles: 1st of the also rans for 2015.
That is F**ken hilarious. NM supporters Should hang their heads in shame after the whinging, crying, conspiracy theorizing and general bad sportsmanship after this years Preliminary final.

This years finals has provided us with as good a sample period as we will ever get in order to test this. That is why the thread was made. Like I said in the op., whatever disadvantage there is in travel is more than made up for with the massive home ground advantage. An average WC will always win 90% of their home games. The players may play somewhat shorter careers, but that is about as far as I see the travel causing a problem.
We went 9-15 in the last two years at home before this year. Actually had a better away record than home record, which was odd.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It sounds like supporters talking (whining) about a team getting an extra days break.
Hawks definitely could've used an extra 24 hours to get themselves right for the 2012 Grand Final. They went into that game with a number of sore bodies and players carrying various injury niggles. Hodge went into the game with a torn PCL and Roughead's ankle was stuffed. They both had postponed season-ending surgery and tried to get up for the GF. Unfortunately they both had shockers and went under the knife a few days later. Maybe the extra day wouldn't have helped them much, but it certainly wouldn't have hurt.

Irrespective of all that, the Hawks finished on top and earned themselves the Friday Preliminary Final as the number one seed. Rules are rules. Unless the AFL decide to bend them when it suits.

2015 - Frem (1) Fri - WCE (2) Sat
2014 - Syd (1) Fri - Haw (2) Sat
2013 - Haw (1) Fri - Frem (2) Sat
2012 - Syd (2) Fri - Haw (1) Sat - The AFL "forgot" to book ANZ Stadium :rolleyes::thumbsu:
2011 - Coll (1) Fri - Geel (2) Sat
2010 - Coll (1) Fri - St K (3) Sat
2009 - St K (1) Fri - Geel (2) Sat
2008 - Geel (1) Fri - Haw (2) Sat
2007 - Geel (1) Fri - Port (2) Sat
2006 - Syd (4) Fri - WCE (1) Sat - Syd def WCE in the QF and earned the no.1 seeding
2005 - Syd (3) Fri - WCE (2) Sat - WCE def Syd in the QF, but somehow St K (4th) grab the top seed by beating Adel (1) :rolleyes::thumbsu:
2004 - Port (1) Fri - Bris (2) Sat

Sydney's 2012 premiership was achieved with an extra day's rest that ran contrary to AFL policy of giving the top seed the Friday night final. Good luck to them. Take what you can get, I suppose. I never whined about that in the immediate aftermath of defeat. I made a point of being a good sport about it.

For me, it only became a talking point when Demetriou's favouritism of the AFL-Swans became fully apparent after they won the flag, then signed Queensland-bound Tippett for silly money while their players were getting subsidised an extra 10% outside the cap. Swans fans were adamant they received no favours from the AFL and their jealous rivals were inventing "conspiracy theories". My attitude to that was "Oh yeah? What about their 2 Friday night Prelims and the Barry Hall tribunal fiasco?"

Last edited:

An average west coast might win 90 percent of ygeir home games but they will lose 90 percent of their aways and sit 7-12 at the end of the year and get bundled out first week of finals if they make it as it will be away.

Dunno about you mate - but we want the big dance - scraping in as finals fodder is for chumps

I wouldnt be opposed to two games minimum at the MCG for all teams during the home and away, but at the end of the day using the "only played there once" line is a copout. Hawthorn were the better side on the day, the Eagles choked in the first quarter and then choked again in the third when they were starting to mount a comeback. The crowd was not a factor and the weather conditions (hot, windy) were in West Coasts favour....as was the freshness factor from recent lack of travel and a week off.

In addition to two games minimum at the MCG we shoudl also bring in a rolling draw with no guaranteed return games against anybody. The Eagles could then use the one less derby every year to get some match practice at the MCG.
I think if you are an interstate team who finish top 6 the year prior you should get a minimum three games at the G - maybe take some off Carlton who really don't deserve them...

ah.. the sore bodies excuse. :thumbsu:
No, not an excuse about injuries. A complaint about the AFL breaking their own rules re/ finals scheduling and giving Sydney the extra day's rest when they hadn't earned it. Subtle different there, Skipper Kelly. Hawthorn never make excuses about injuries - they keep all that under their hat. Hawk fans were right to feel aggrieved when it became apparent the AFL had "forgotten" to book ANZ Stadium for the Saturday night.

That is F**ken hilarious. NM supporters Should hang their heads in shame after the whinging, crying, conspiracy theorizing and general bad sportsmanship after this years Preliminary final.
Glad you find it funny.

I have never said that we lost because of the umpires, as you theorise (and it is a theory because you have no proof to back it up).

There is a thread trashing the umpires on the North board, but as a general rule North people recognise that we were beaten by a better team on the day; unlike the *silly people from WCE who a lot blame everything except their own failings.

The umpiring in the prelim was s**t, did it affect the final result; imho NO.

Smell the roses cupcake. Your team folded with barely a whimper. You own it, live with it.

It is. It is also a whine.
Whatever...

I've enjoyed watching you and your mates howling at the "unfairness" of the AFL when all they've done is take away your privileges.
That and the Essendon drug scandal have been the icing on the Threepeat cake. I've enjoyed every second of it.

It's been awesome talking footy with you, Skipper Kelly. Let's do this again sometime.
I'll post my opinions and you can lurk in the shadows like you always do and pick me up on my "hypocrisy"

See ya, buddy!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back