The Philadelphia Experiment - Maxey Better Sadly

Mar 26, 2008
Fight Club
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
76ers, Storm, Broad St.
Get ready for the hot Sixers takes by the media now that we're the sole winless team.

Don't expect them to mention (or even know) that we're missing Wroten, Covington, Marshall - 3 of our best 5 players. And if they mention Noel being out don't think they won't take that as a sign that he's injury prone and can't get on the court (because Michael Wilbon already did that).

PendlesPremiers

All Australian
Sep 23, 2010
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Philadelphia 76ers, Arsenal
So how are we all hanging in? I had the misfortune of watching yesterday's 'effort' against Indiana- everything about the game was awful.

In short, our team is filled with one-way (or no-way) players. Okafor's a phenomenal offensive talent who's switches off on defense (he frequently refuses to provide help defense once a player that's not his own enters the lane), Noel's an amazing defender who looks out of sorts now he's had to vacate the lane with Jahlil on the floor.

Grant's a promising defender who lacks offensive nous, TJ can't defend bigger or quicker guards, Stauskas flat out stinks right now, Covington's hopefully going to find form soon...

But future Sixers Ben Simmons and Jamal Murray are playing really well!

Mar 26, 2008
Fight Club
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
76ers, Storm, Broad St.
s**t gets restless when after committing 27 turnovers, they go out and hit 29.

Expected the horrid start, but that's unacceptable. A tradeoff for having the youngest team in NBA history I guess.

Not inherently a problem, but I keep thinking worst case scenarios in the lottery and if that happens, things won't look good for Brown or Hinkie.

Aug 17, 2009
In the Country,VIC
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Phila 76ers , Phila Eagles , Man U
Nerlens needs to work on his jump shot. It's horrid atm.

We are just a terrible team. Yes we're young but how long can we use that as an excuse.

Only positive I see is if we get the number 1 pick. And that's pretty sad tbh. :(

Dignan

All Australian
Apr 8, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
76ers
Only 11 TO's to three quarter time against the Hornets #progress

Tbh, I've only got this one on in the background on my laptop with SA/NO on ESPN.

Good to see Jrue doing well* and getting back to full fitness. Always liked the bloke.

EDIT: *starting well..

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2008
Fight Club
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
76ers, Storm, Broad St.
When you're after greater effort, today's performance should be pleasing. Especially when you see Nerlens do things like this.

But * if that wasn't a bad coaching job by Brett. I don't know if he's explained his rationale for hacking Whiteside, don't know if I want to hear it, but watching it live, made me sick and pretty much foreshadowed what was going to happen after it.

I like Brett, comes across great, but the problem with doing what we've done is we still don't know if he's a good game-day coach. Hopefully, by next year we'll know for sure, but that's a game we shouldn't have lost and I put the blame on him.

That being said, for three and a half quarters the team looked great, moved the ball so well, hit open looks. Cov was huge in the 1st, set it all up and Ja was aggressive as he's ever been and even though he came up short a fair few times (Whiteside is a beast) the future signs are big if he keeps at it.

Predicting a win on this road trip.

djrossie16

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 15, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
When you're after greater effort, today's performance should be pleasing. Especially when you see Nerlens do things like this.

But **** if that wasn't a bad coaching job by Brett. I don't know if he's explained his rationale for hacking Whiteside, don't know if I want to hear it, but watching it live, made me sick and pretty much foreshadowed what was going to happen after it.

I like Brett, comes across great, but the problem with doing what we've done is we still don't know if he's a good game-day coach. Hopefully, by next year we'll know for sure, but that's a game we shouldn't have lost and I put the blame on him.

That being said, for three and a half quarters the team looked great, moved the ball so well, hit open looks. Cov was huge in the 1st, set it all up and Ja was aggressive as he's ever been and even though he came up short a fair few times (Whiteside is a beast) the future signs are big if he keeps at it.

Predicting a win on this road trip.
Other day Cleveland were up by 4 on Detroit tried hackadrummond went to s**t. I don't like it unless you're down.

Mar 26, 2008
Fight Club
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
76ers, Storm, Broad St.
Watching the end of this Providence Arizona game.

Getting a PG in Kris Dunn or Murray in the draft would be huge for us. If LAL pick doesn't convert and we don't get 1, I'd want one of them rather than the other forwards. Let's just hope we get both.

Mar 26, 2008
Fight Club
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
76ers, Storm, Broad St.
Wouldn't say this is a rumour, just has been put out there on basketball twitter, but considering how better we've looked going small ball, how much usage Okafor needs to get his numbers and how Noel & Okafor together is stunting Nerlens` best attributes (albeit on a very small sample size), would anyone here object if Hinkie traded Okafor for D`Angelo?

PendlesPremiers

All Australian
Sep 23, 2010
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Philadelphia 76ers, Arsenal
Wouldn't say this is a rumour, just has been put out there on basketball twitter, but considering how better we've looked going small ball, how much usage Okafor needs to get his numbers and how Noel & Okafor together is stunting Nerlens` best attributes (albeit on a very small sample size), would anyone here object if Hinkie traded Okafor for D`Angelo?

D'Angelo plus removing the protection off the pick.

But I'd still be nervous. Our entire plan is around gaining superstars and we'd be trading away our most likely one in Okafor.

Mar 26, 2008
Fight Club
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
76ers, Storm, Broad St.
D'Angelo plus removing the protection off the pick.

But I'd still be nervous. Our entire plan is around gaining superstars and we'd be trading away our most likely one in Okafor.

Absolutely if the pick protection was removed, just think that is unlikely.

I think Okafor will be an all-star calibre player, it just seems if we were to have him long term it would require us to build around him, and with his limited defense, I don't know how far that can take us. (though I realise at the start of the season I was super high on he and Noel's pairing :p)

But I'm also not dismissing Russell as being that superstar player. He'd put up roty candidate numbers if he were on this team, it's just in LA he has to watch Kobe jack up 20 shots a game.

Dr Awkward

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 23, 2009
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
San Antonio Spurs
Trade Okafor, jesus are you kidding. I know the Philly rationale but don't you at some point actually try and keep some good players for their career and build a "team".

Sep 7, 2005
Firing GarPax
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool, Chicago Bulls

Honestly.

I'd do it 1000%

But, the more likely scenario is that you would deal Nerlens if the fit isn't working.

As to who any trading partner would be in that scenario... well I'm coming up blank.

Boston have a logjam in the frontcourt with no difference makers or rim protection. It's possible.
Bulls would love some athletic rim protection.
Indiana could as well
Orlando if they flogged off the Vuc

Others like the Bucks have guys who wouldnt really fit either

But they don't have a ton of assets to send the other way, apart from Boston....

Mar 26, 2008
Fight Club
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
76ers, Storm, Broad St.
Pelton and Ford flagged it in article, which is why I brought it up. And it was Russell the intended trade partner, because it would be hard to fathom trading Okafor for a future pick (unless it was the Nets pick).

Embiid's the silent factor in this of course. If you don't think he'll be healthy enough you don't trade Okafor, but if you do, it would make more sense to trade him out and build a "team" by getting the player you would have picked had the Lakers taken Ja, and fill out one spot of your starting backcourt.

Figure Saric coming over, and it doesn't have to be Simmons or bust. Could pair Russell with a Jamal Murray. If the LAL pick converts, or the Lakers remove protection in a trade, then you're well set and maybe you do land Simmons. There's your team, with as many as 2, 3 potential superstars.

Admittedly though, in this scenario that's a lot riding on Embiid than you'd like.

Mar 26, 2008
Fight Club
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
76ers, Storm, Broad St.
So Jerry Colangelo becomes the Chairman of Basketball Operations and no one know whether to chill or panic.

I guess what side you fall on depends on how you view Hinkie.

Considering I'm all in on 'The Process', I can view this as great PR. Colangelo does add experience, and I'm sure he'll get to voice his opinions but ultimately he becomes more of the public face of team (something that Hinkie never was) and shielding Brett from criticism.

More pertinently though, he does this

Hinkie still calls the shots, we might add a veteran or two to appease Jerry, but ultimately we put our stocks in young talent and draft picks, and nothing much changes.

The other side of this is that Josh Harris and the ownership group have lost faith in Sam. The signing says that we're going to fast track the rebuild (to which if you agree with this rebuild you understand that there are not short-cuts) and follow Jerry's lead which might mean trading future picks for players now (and those players are probably not named Paul George or Kevin Durant).

That would be the worst, but I just can't see that happening. Josh Harris and our ownership team are hedge fund guys, they're not about to invest in a 76 year old former GM who will be living out of Phoenix.

I think what happened today is a good thing, yet the proof of where the team will be headed will be open for everyone to see, at the trade deadline and draft.

Interested to hear what everyone else thinks.

Back