The Philadelphia Experiment - Maxey Better Sadly

Remove this Banner Ad

Has been prior to this season, but has improved pretty dramatically w/ Nola and now here. Don't pine for him to take all the shots, takes more than necessary, but has a weirdly semi-reliable mid-range jumper now.

Haven't got to watch a lot of ball lately, but tonight was one of the most encouraging games I've seen as far as Jah hustling and working hard on defence. How was that desperation play toward the end with the big dive to keep the ball in play?

22 points on 9 of 16, 17 boards (including 7 on the offensive end), 3 blocks and only 1 turnover.

Oh and TJ have my ******* babies, those quick hands!

JaKarr is ultimate process.

The most loveable face in the nba.

jerami-grant-jakarr-sampson.jpg

Just saw highlights of the Pels game. Holy s**t Nerlens.

Sometimes, it becomes a concern when you think of the team having 3 bigs with star potential, but most of the time it's absolutely giddying.

Hope you guys saw this:

http://news.yahoo.com/glowing-ish-smith-claims-joel-213516615.html

“First of all I think he’s grown two inches. One or two inches I think. He’s just such a physical specimen, he’s so big and strong. But, his skill is what takes him to the next level for me.

“So, last year, when he was practicing and working out and playing and he was getting into the flow, he was doing full-court drills, handling the ball with coach Billy Lange, handling the ball, full-court spinning, behind-his-back. I’m talking about handling the ball. So after that I’m like, ‘Okay I guess anybody can do that.’ Then after that he’s doing post-up moves, and doing all that. . And by yourself it looks good.

“So then I seen him play against some guys before practice started, they had him out there. Oh my goodness. Like it wasn’t even fair how much better. He was going against our guys, and it was just a different level. He’s just so … he can shoot the ball, he’s unselfish, he’s bigger and stronger so if he just wants to power you to the rim, he can. Or he wants to skill you he can. He can step out and shoot the three ball. He’s got a pretty form….He’s got a lotta skill. He really, really does. He was special to watch.”

Just checking in. Hang in there, everyone. Saric hit a crunch-time three for Efes, Joel's giving us a 'no news is good news' kind of vibe (short of lots of jump shots and trips to Qatar) and Sacramento will provide a nice draft % boost with their 6/7/8th bottom finish.

I'm not sure I could Ish start another season, on the plus side Stauskas since the new year is shooting 41% from 3 and looks like he could have a future as a rotational piece, TJ has also looked really comfortable against back up pg's and I think I'd rather keep him over Ish assuming we got an upgrade at point but outside of trading it's hard to see it happening unless they signed Mike Conley in FA but lol at that happening.

I'm not sure I could Ish start another season, on the plus side Stauskas since the new year is shooting 41% from 3 and looks like he could have a future as a rotational piece, TJ has also looked really comfortable against back up pg's and I think I'd rather keep him over Ish assuming we got an upgrade at point but outside of trading it's hard to see it happening unless they signed Mike Conley in FA but lol at that happening.

Got eyes on Valentine in the draft, but it would require at the very least packaging the Miami and OKC picks. Know we've got interest in Schroder as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Un-*******-believable.

Bryan Colangelo? Get ****ed

Last edited:
Colangelo is a bad move but Hinkie was a joke. No one will ever use his model.

'Hinkie is a joke' is a line that gets used by folks like Stephen A Smith, Colin Cowherd, Sixers beat writers and other purveyors of obnoxious and loud takes, that pretty much always fails to account for the past and the future, and solely relies on pointing at the present W/L column. No one will ever use his model? Well maybe not, but that's not an indictment on Hinkie, it's an indictment on the culture of the NBA and pro sports that believe having a mediocre to serviceable team is more worthwhile than ever seriously contending for a championship.

Any idiot can tank for years and accumulate picks. But that bad for at least three years? I get to some small extent what he was trying to do. The Astros in baseball stunk it up for a few years and now we have one of the best farm systems in the league and are on the way up. But baseball doesn't have the lottery and even if it did the difference between first and third pick is not as great as that in the NBA.

Plus Astros picked a good mix of players between pitchers and position players. No gaping holes in key positions such as guard or small forward.

With so many young guys you need to surround them with some veterans/leaders to help show them the way especially in the NBA with so many divas. Would Embiid and Okafor been pulled more in line with some more wise heads around?

Yeah and Brett Brown came out after Hinkie was sacked to say they were planning to sign some FAs. But how many players will be willing to come in this state? Porzingis' agent refused Hinkie access to his physical or any work outs.

Any idiot can tank for years and accumulate picks.

Can they tho? What other GM/ownership group has actually committed to this kind of rebuild before and followed through with it? That's the frustrating thing for me as they actually had a path, a plan and chickened out of it and gave the tools for him to do it and then shat the bed and quit on it. At basically any point he could have turned this team into a 30 win team and do what every other team does and live on the playoff treadmill.

The process wasn't just about being a terrible team to get a superstar out of the draft it's about flexibility, whether that be in the draft, through free agency or trade Hinkie has put them in a great spot going forward for all of these options. It's also about not being reactionary and being process driven over results oriented thinking.

I think people are going to think about this whole thing a lot differently in 12 - 24 months time, they're not going to be able to go out and get a big name free agent this off season but they have the cap flexibility when you consider the influx of talent coming this off season, Saric, Embiid (yes yes, can't rely 100% on Embiid) our own lottery pick, possibly the laker pick and the flexibility of the heat and OKC first rounders. Not to mention zero credit he gets for having someone like Robert Covington on an incredibly team friendly contract, or Jeremi Grant's improvement, picking up TJ McConnell as an undrafted player - no these aren't stars but they are good role-players who's worth will be more evident with better players around them.

This all goes without saying how different it could have been if a few lotto balls fell different, but I guess that's the risk in putting a lot of your faith in that falling your way.

The only real mistakes I think he made was not bringing back Ish at the start of the season, drafting Okafor and underestimating the human element of sport/teams. Also not playing the media game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back