Competitions The PIEMAN 2014

The Pieman returns again in 2014!

For those who weren’t in it in previous years you simply pick 5 players for the year who you think will kick a lot of goals. What makes it tricky is every player has a handicap value which acts as a multiplier for each goal he kicks. So for instance, Gia has a handicap of 3. If he kicks 3 goals you get 9 Pieman points. Hrovat, however has a handicap of 11 so if he kicks 2 goals you get 22 points. Your challenge is to pick the five who will give you the most possible Pieman points over the season. I will try to post the results of each round soon after the match along with the season leaderboard.

Changes in 2014
It’s going to be much the same as 2013 (despite some excellent suggestions which I’ve put on ice for this year, e.g. a joker round, and a draft). Some key features in 2014:

DUPLICATES: The "no identical teams" rule has been scrapped.

BANKER: Much the same as last year: you get to nominate one of your team as a “Banker” every week. The banker scores you double points. If you forget to nominate one or couldn’t be bothered or your player is out, there is a standard default every week (it will be your previous week’s banker or if not available, your lowest handicapped team member) so you won’t be disadvantaged.

TRADE PERIOD: There will be two 10-day trade periods corresponding to when the WB have their two-week breaks between games. During these trade periods you can offload any of your team and draft players to replace them. However new handicaps will be issued for the trades so don’t expect pre-season odds!

LTI/RETIREMENT: If your selection retires or goes on the long term injury list you will NOT be able to get a replacement this year. It’s just bad luck and you will have to wait until the next trade period.

Awards – no cash of course, just the BF glory (maybe a badge if Ant_ can swing it).
THE KELVINS: The weekly best team score gets the Kelvin Award.
The PIEMAN: The annual winner is crowned the Pieman for 2014. Past Pieman winners are:
For those who came in late these awards honour two of our greatest forwards Kelvin Templeton (holds the club record of 15 for goals in a match) and Simon “The Pieman” Beasley who holds the club record for most goals in a career.

How to enter:
Check out the 2014 handicaps first (see table below). Then just nominate your 2013 team by posting a list of 5 different WB players in this thread. Only one entry per person. You might also like to check out the official rules for more details (see separate post below).

Don’t worry about nominating your Banker for round 1 just yet. You can do that right up to match day.

You can enter after Round 1 but you won’t get any retrospective points for games already played so try to get your entry in by 4:40pm on 23rd March.

2014 Handicaps

The Pieman 2014 – Rules of the Game

AIM
The aim is to select a group of five WB players (your Pieman Team) at the start of the year who, in aggregate, will score more Pieman Points over the year than any other contestant’s team after handicaps are calculated and applied.

Pieman Points = Player Goals x Player Handicap.

RULES

A. ENTRIES
Anyone can enter by lodging their team in this thread.
Each contestant must nominate 5 WB players in his Pieman Team. They can include rookies.
Once an entry is lodged it can’t be changed except with the prior agreement of the organiser or during a trade period (see the section on “Trading” below). Amendment 17 March: one change will be allowed up to the start of the Round 1 game. Any number of players can be swapped out in this one change but it must be done with a new post, not an edit to the original post.
Contestants may have the same 5 players as any other contestant, i.e. teams can be identical.
Entries will still be accepted after Round 1 but they will not get any score for WB games already completed or under way at the time of entry.

B. BANKER
Each Pieman team can have a Banker each round. A Banker is a player in your 5-man team that you think you can bank on kicking goals.
Points for your Banker count double for that round.
You must nominate your Banker no later than the advertised start of the WB match by posting in the relevant thread.
You are allowed to change your Banker nomination as long as it is done by the advertised start of the match in the relevant thread.

Default Banker: If you don’t have a Banker for a given match or your nomination is late/incorrect you will be assigned the same Banker you had in the previous round. If that player is not available (and the default for Round 1) your Banker will be the player in your team with the lowest handicap who is playing that match. If you have players with equal lowest handicaps, it will be player with the lowest jumper number.

C. SCORING
Every listed player (including rookies) will be given a handicap value at the start of the year. This value will be used as a multiplier for any goals they score in WB matches (H&A fixture plus any finals the WB play in).
Each week the players’ goals scored for that round will be multiplied by their handicap value, e.g.
Jones 3 goals x handicap of 4 = 12 pts
Tutt 2 goals x handicap of 9 = 27
Wallis 1 goal x handicap of 12 = 12

Each Pieman Team’s total score for 5 players + banker will be aggregated each week and accumulated through the year. E.g. a notional team of Giansiracusa (0), Jones (3), Tutt (2), Wallis (1) and Roughead (0) would get 0+12+27+12+0=51 points for that week, but if Jones was the Banker then the total score would be 63 points.

No subs will be provided if any of your team are injured, suspended, dropped, etc.
The winner each round will be declared the Kelvin Award winner for that week (glory only, no cash!)

The Pieman team with the highest accumulated score over the whole season will be the winner and declared the Pieman for 2014. (BF glory only, still no cash!)

Goal scorers will be as listed on the WB/AFL websites. Progress scores will be posted after each round, whenever possible.

D. TRADING
Changing players will be allowed in two situations:
(1) If agreed to by the organiser. This would normally only occur before the first Round of the season.
(2) In one of the two designated trade periods: 12-21 May 2014 and 21-30 July 2014.

Having players with long-term injuries, suspensions, mid-season retirements, etc is just bad luck. You will have to wait until the next designated trade period to offload them.

For a trade period, contestants may trade in (offload) any number of players and select others in their place. New handicaps will be published for the trade period and will apply only to the new selections and only from the subsequent round until the end of the season (or until next trade period if offloaded). The new handicaps will not override the earlier handicaps for players selected at the start of the season and remaining in your team.

Trading is not compulsory. You may leave your team as it is.
Trading players will not affect team scores accumulated prior to the trade period.

You may trade out a player and re-draft him if you wish. (You might want to do this if his handicap value has increased at the time of the mid-season trade period.)

Hopefully no rule changes will be required during the season but I reserve the right to make minor changes at any time within the spirit of the competition.

Last edited:
Congrats on being first in again this year Dannnnnnnnnn !

I hear a nasal spray can help with that.

Hmm not sure who can live up to the heavy burden of underachiever in my team now that Veszpremi is no longer with us.

My team

Honeychurch
Crameri
Stevens
Hunter
Darley

TheHoneyBadger

"I lost my phone"
10k Posts Western Bulldogs - Cordy, Honeychurch, Prudden, Dale Player Sponsor 2015
Sep 17, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
Dahlhaus, Macrae, Liberatore, Crameri, Stevens

I haven't eaten enough pies yet so Here is the back to back premiership entry
Dahlhaus, cooney, griffin, Stevens and McRae.

Nice work dogwatch.......shame that Dannnnnnnnnn had to blow his load too soon. I was hoping you would still have the no identical teams rules and that the premiers....me...would get first picks.

Some tough decisions this year, I want to go wide with a Honeychurch or someone like that but not sure how many games he will get

Back