The Pies/Bombers ANZAC day game is just a H&A game between two teams I Hate

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fair enough, I can't dispute your personal experience. But it's interesting you focus on the ritual aspects of the day (minutes silence, dawn service) as examples. The fact 90,000 people were deliberately quiet for a minute when they otherwise might not have been means nothing in isolation...to be honest I think it's further proof of the abstraction of the day. We go through the rituals, don't engage with the substance.
The point was simply about awareness and observance is evidence of that. It was a simple point in response to a simple incorrect statement. As for substance, my daughter is now 8 and my son 11. They know exactly why we observe a minutes silence. They see the diggers in the cars. They see the ritual and hear the last post. They know why. Thy don't yet properly understand war, but they know more about ANZAC day from the obervances than they otherwise would and in time they will understand more about what it all means. They have asked questions that wouldn't otherwise have been on their radar. I have told them abouit their great grandfather who was a non german married to a german women and how the Nazi's annuled the marriage and interrned him. They know about my Italian wife's parents post war immigration to Australia. These aren't related to ANZAC Day as such but they are discussions I doubt we would have had but for thier curiosity. They wouldn't even probably know what the initials stood for. We are just 1 family and a small number amoung the crowd. To say the game achieves zero in this regard is just ignorant. It doesn't move mountans but no claims it does does. If nothing else, what it does do is use something people understand and relate to as part of their life to add to the body of noise and messaging about the day and it's significnace to Australia (we largely ignore NZ but that's anotheer matter again).

I don't know if you have ever been to the game but let me assure you that minute silence is very moving and the last post is haunting. A lot of people do reflect.

Last edited:
The point was simply about awareness and observance is evidence of that. It was a simple point in response to a simple incorrect statement. As for substance, my daughter is now 8 and my son 11. They know exactly why we observe a minutes silence. They see the diggers in the cars. They see the ritual and hear the last post. They know why. Thy don't yet properly understand war, but they know more about ANZAC day from the obervances than they otherwise would and in time they will understand more about what it all means. They have asked questions that wouldn't otherwise have been on their radar. I have told them abouit their great grandfather who was a non german married to a german women and how the Nazi's annuled the marriage and interrned him. They know about my Italian wife's parents post war immigration to Australia. These aren't related to ANZAC Day as such but they are discussions I doubt we would have had but for thier curiosity. We are just 1 family and a small number amoung the crowd. To say the game achieves zero in this regard is just ignorant.
Again, I can't directly dispute your experience, but I find the 'wouldn't otherwise have been on their radar' argument very hard to swallow. You are saturated with Anzac at school in the week leading up to the holiday, through the media and on the day itself. Your children's growing awareness may have everything to do with them actually growing older and asking questions rather than their exposure to the football.

I don't know if you have ever been to the game but let me assure you that minute silence is very moving and the last post is haunting. A lot of people do reflect.
I've heard plenty of both and yes, they can be very moving. But you might want to reflect yourself that you're earnestly defending the importance of the game because people pause for one whole minute to 'reflect' before returning their attention for three hours onto football.

If it was so easy to replicate why hasn't the Dreamtime game got the same atmosphere, crowds and general interest? or the finals type games that keep continually being played between the 2 clubs which also doesn't get replicated by new "blockbusters".

I've heard plenty of both and yes, they can be very moving. But you might want to reflect yourself that you're earnestly defending the importance of the game because people pause for one whole minute to 'reflect' before returning their attention for three hours onto football.
I'm not defending the game. I've said plenty of times I am over all the bitching about blockbusters etc. I support a random or rolling draw evenly distributed match time scheduling. They are all different issues though.

I simply disputed the statement that the game does nothing for awareness of ANZAC Day and what it means. I know for certain that to be incorrect. I have just used my family and further observations as illustrative. The game is a part of the overall body of events and commentary - just a part but a part nonetheless and to many a meaningful part.

Last edited:
If it was so easy to replicate why hasn't the Dreamtime game got the same atmosphere, crowds and general interest? or the finals type games that keep continually being played between the 2 clubs which also doesn't get replicated by new "blockbusters".

Its not that it's easy to replicate, its that its on Anzac Day.

Oh but you know, the fact that its the two heaviest supported clubs in the league, that have worked together over a long period of time to build an event with the FULL support of the relevant parties in respecting the day, that have cultivated its membership base into viewing it as a massive event, that have conned the TV stations into viewing it as a major attraction.....

None of that counts.

It's on Anzac Day, and it should be shared. Because.

What a stupid comparison comparing an Indigenous dreamtime game to an ANZAC game.

For the record i never watch the pre-game build up for the dreamtime as i find it boring, but i will never miss the pre-game ANZAC, then the actual game is good but just another home and away.

The last 3 years the Dreamtime crowds have all been over 80k, and its credit to both groups supporter base really as both teams have been middle of row teams as far performance is concerned.

Wouldn't be surprised if gets the second biggest H&A crowd behind Anzac day this year.

If it happens BF will be flooded with threads from other clubs wanting to be able to participate in the dreamtime game LOL.

I can just imagine it now, first Good Friday game, Ch 7 2 hour match preview with promo guy with low husky voice comparing footballers "rising from the dead", "playing the game for all our sins" and silly Hipster beards being compared with JC's.

I really don't make a point of watching the ANZAC Day game, but If I've got nothing better to do I will make a point of not switching on till the game has started. The build up stuff is somewhere between cringe worthy and disgraceful.

Same here, same with all games with pre-match entertainment etc, just start the bloody game already will ya.

Are you serious?

You don't need a football match to create "awareness" for the Australian and New Zealand soldiers who fought and died in one of the biggest conflicts of the 20th century.

You can buy a pin and thank a Digger at any shopping center in the country for at least a week prior to April 25th.

If you seriously believe that Essendon and Collingwood are the only reason we commemorate ANZAC Day it's long past time to cut back on the Koolaid.

Never said your last point all I said is its done in a respectful way and we are one of many organisations creating awareness but you can build it up to what ever you want

Only problem I have is the medal, should be named after a footballer who gave his life during the war - aside from that I really have no issue with it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's not being cocky, you look at attendance, TV ratings and the build up to it.. it is easily the second biggest match of the year.
Every single final is a bigger match then a home and away match that has become a big event, but still not close to finals matches.
To suggest otherwise is complete and utter stupidity.

Every single final is a bigger match then a home and away match that has become a big event, but still not close to finals matches.
To suggest otherwise is complete and utter stupidity.
In terms of importance of course it's not. But in terms of atmosphere and crowd size then yes it is. Have a look at Geelong-Freo in 2012, they only got 44 thousand to that EF.

Could the media stop trying to make it into a mini grand final.
Don't watch the game then. Personally I'd rather have Coll-Ess on the radio in the background while I'm doing stuff around the house. It's a great day, generally it's been a competitive match. Please yourself but I'm happy with these two clubs hanging on to it.

Thankfully I'll have two other games to satisfy my AFL hunger this year.

It's completely different. But have fun exploiting war and the diggers for profit, you disgust me.

How is it completely different? Your president is fighting tooth and nail to get rights to the Good Friday game. He wants to do this solely so the club can profit from it and he is using North Melbourne's proximity to the Children's Hospital and the appeal as a bargaining chip. Sorry mate, you're going to have to climb down from your high horse.

That aside, you and your club would jump at the chance to be part of the ANZAC Day game and you'd definitely be crowing a different tune then.

If anything is disgusting, it's your self righteousness.

There are THREE games this year, including two on free to air yet it's still about Essendon and Collingwood?

I think it's more about the clubs playing. If it was Geelong and Hawthorn, less people would be complaining.

If it's just a home and away game, then treat it as such. Will be waiting for a thread about Fremantle...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back