The player that made you a Saints / AFL supporter

Remove this Banner Ad

I had no choice if I wanted a roof over my head and to be beating free (okay, the second part is an exaggeration).

My first most favourite players were Trevor Barker then Nicky Winmar. Of course I loved watching plugger, Loewe and Harvey as well.

you won't believe this, but I supported carlton. but when Jeasolenko (sic) gsacked and we picked him up, I moved clubs.
image.jpg

I have to admit that back in the day, footy was tribal. So growing up in Elwood, you followed the Saints. And Prahran was the nearest VFA club.

Yep. My dad originally barracked for Richmond, as that is where they first lived on coming to Australia. Then moved to Prahran where he grew up. Converted in '66. Thought he was onto a good thing :D

Yep. My dad originally barracked for Richmond, as that is where they first lived on coming to Australia. Then moved to Prahran where he grew up. Converted in '66. Thought he was onto a good thing :D

Mine settled in Errol St Nth melb, right next door to Jack Titus's pub. But moved to Elwood in 65. Dad sort of barracked for Norf, but simply loved our colours better.

Saints - Barks & Plugger

AFL supporter - nothing beat standing beside the point post at the local footy ground with your mates, as an 8 yr old, taking it in turns to try & dribble through goals like Peter Daicos

813943-carl-ditterich.jpg
darrel-baldock.jpg

AFL supporter - nothing beat standing beside the point post at the local footy ground with your mates, as an 8 yr old, taking it in turns to try & dribble through goals like Peter Daicos

Scoreboard and goal umping for me, was chuffed to take over the scoreboard initially because it meant a free pie and can of coke at half time and nothing says loving footy like a free feed does. :thumbsu:

Well I'm a born Saints fan, but I do have photos of myself as a little toddler with Doc Baldock. Favourite players, Big Carl, Brett Voss, G Train, Kosi, Milney, Michael Gardner, Heath Black, Cain Ackland, a Josh Saunders, Brett Peake, Keys Delaney. Some odd ones there when you think about it but they're the ones I like best.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

4th generation Saint, born into it 50 years ago..
Left Aus in 1969 and lived on a remote island until 1980 so missed what would have been my first gen of players.
Barker and Lockett were the first ones to really make me love the game and team, but Loewe has been the player I most loved to watch for almost 30 years now.

I started going on my own when plugger started but in the 70's as a 6-7 year old it had to be Barks. Then, in the early 80's it was Greg Burns. I loved Burnsy, he was awesome. Tough bugger. I had no choice though as my family followed the saints since 1897 and my great uncle went to the 1913 GF! We was robbed!!!

Well I was born into a family of essendon and wet toast fans in 86, loved watching plugger when I was a very young'un and I cried when he left but then Banger was the player I adored over time. Others that I really enjoyed watching were Frankie, Sziller and G-Train

If it's not an intrusion, who was GGF, could you tell us a little more?
From what I understand, he was R(obert) Robertson and captained the Saints in 1896 before the move to the VFL.

Potentially also played for North and Carlton in the VFA, but could be a different bloke.

Don't know all that much about it beyond 'family legend' because he died before my grandfather was actually born.

He's listed in 'The Point Of It All' by Jules Feldmann and Russell Holmesby.

From what I understand, he was R(obert) Robertson and captained the Saints in 1896 before the move to the VFL.

Potentially also played for North and Carlton in the VFA, but could be a different bloke.

Don't know all that much about it beyond 'family legend' because he died before my grandfather was actually born.

He's listed in 'The Point Of It All' by Jules Feldmann and Russell Holmesby.

Thanks Uncle Barrels, very nice. :) :thumbsu::thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back