Politics & Government The Politics Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Matchu

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 12, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
This thread is intended to promote healthy debates regarding politics with a focus on, but not exclusive to, Gold Coast politics. Just like any other part of Australia there are three levels of government on the Gold Coast which represent the local (City of Gold Coast), state and federal seats. The local level is broken into 14 divisions with one separate mayor for the whole city. At the state level there are currently 10 seats on the Gold Coast which are Albert, Broadwater, Burleigh, Coomera, Currumbin, Gaven, Mermaid Beach, Mudgeeraba, Southport and Surfers Paradise. At the federal level there are 3 seats which are Fadden (north), Moncrieff (central) and McPherson (south).

Iva Bigun Ryano316 nutstar Shai SandyToes jackenny holybishop Experimental TARGETMAN

Last edited:
As we are just days out from the 2015 Queensland state election I will put together a little breakdown of the Gold Coast seats for this upcoming election. I am only going to include the names for LNP and ALP members so if you are interested on who else is running for each seat you'll have to research it yourself.

Historically, the Gold Coast has been a conservative city with a tendency to vote for the Liberal National Party. The Beattie government (Labor) made a breakthrough on the Gold Coast in 2001 by securing 6 of the available 8 seats at the time which threw the city's preferred party into question (at the state level) and has seen the Labor party be competitive at the state level since, with the exception of the 2012 election.

Albert
Current MP: Mark Boothman (LNP)
Opposition: Melissa McMahon (ALP)
Existed since: 1880 (reincarnated in current form in 1960)
Historically held: LNP (66%) ALP (34%)
Held since 2001: ALP (78%) LNP (22%)
2012 margin: 11.9% (LNP)
2012 swing: +18.36% (LNP)
Notes: Seems the most likely of all Gold Coast seats to return to Labor. The seat has historically been more inclined to the Labor party than most Gold Coast seats and that likely has something to do with part of the seat being based in Logan City. The 2012 election saw a large swing of 18% to the LNP but with a margin of just 11% it could quite easily return to Labor.

Broadwater
Current MP: Verity Barton (LNP)
Opposition: Penny Toland (ALP)
Existed since: 1992
Historically held: LNP (53%) ALP (47%)
2012 margin: 11.3% (LNP)
2012 swing: +13.32% (LNP)
Notes: This article shows the Broadwater MP Verity Barton has been in trouble with the law recently which is never good PR for a politician. Similar to the Alberton electorate, Broadwater had a decent swing towards the LNP in 2012 but the margin was 11%. This is too close to call and is a key seat for both major parties.

Burleigh
Current MP: Michael Hart (LNP)
Opposition: Gail Hislop (ALP)
Existed since: 1992
Historically held: LNP (53%) ALP (47%)
2012 margin: 11% (LNP)
2012 swing: +15.95% (LNP)
Notes: This article seems to suggest Burleigh will be a very hotly contested seat in the 2015 state election and perhaps will be the closest of any seat on the Gold Coast. History shows the two major parties have almost split the seat of Burleigh evenly and the 2012 election shows one of the smallest victories for the LNP was in Burleigh (margin 11%, swing 15%). Perhaps the most important election result to look at when considering the Burleigh electorate is the 2009 election when Labor was able to retain the seat of Burleigh despite many other seats on the Gold Coast changing hands. With a predicted swing back to Labor in almost all seats this one is most definitely a key seat for both parties and could go either way.

Coomera
Current MP: Michael Crandon (LNP)
Opposition: Brett McCreadie (ALP)
Existed since: 2009
Historically held: LNP (100%) ALP (0%)
2012 margin: 23.3% (LNP)
2012 swing: +21.35% (LNP)
Notes: The electorate of Coomera is still very new but history shows it could be a highly contested seat. When Coomera was created in 2009 the LNP won the seat by a margin of just 2.5% and in 2012 we saw a massive 21% swing to the LNP. The question is whether the Labor party can recover from a 21% swing and gain a little bit more to get over the line. Seems unlikely so the LNP should retain Coomera. This article shows the LNP's pledge to fix Exit 54 which should put them over the top regardless.

Currumbin
Current MP: Jann Stuckey (LNP)
Opposition: Ashley Wain (ALP)
Existed since: 1986
Historically held: LNP (58%) ALP (42%)
Held since 2001: LNP (78%) ALP (22%)
2012 margin: 20.2% (LNP)
2012 swing: +13.30% (LNP)
Notes:

Gaven
Current MP: Alex Douglas (IND)
Opposition: Michael Riordan (ALP), Sid Cramp (LNP)
Existed since: 2001
Historically held: ALP (71%) LNP (21%) PUP (7%)
2012 margin: 19.1% (LNP)
2012 swing: +18.38% (LNP)
Notes:

Mermaid Beach
Current MP: Ray Stevens (LNP)
Opposition: Gary Pead (ALP)
2012 margin: 26% (LNP)
2012 swing: +15.24% (LNP)
Notes:

Mudgeeraba
Current MP: Ros Bates (LNP)
Opposition: Gary Pead (ALP)
Historically held: ALP (57%) LNP (43%)
2012 margin: 25.9% (LNP)
2012 swing: +22.01% (LNP)
Notes:

Southport
Current MP: Rob Molhoek (LNP)
Opposition: Rowan Holzberger (ALP)
Existed since: 1950 (reincarnated in current form in 1977)
Historically held: LNP (71%) ALP (29%)
2012 margin: 14.7% (LNP)
2012 swing: +18.20% (LNP)
Notes:

Surfers Paradise
Current MP: John-Paul Langbroek (LNP)
Opposition: Josh Blundell-Thornton (ALP)
Existed since: 1972
Held since 2001: LNP (100%) ALP (0%)
2012 margin: 29.5% (LNP)
2012 swing: +12.98% (LNP)
Notes:

To be continued...

Last edited:

BTW I still haven't heard anything from the member (LNP) I wrote to about what he was doing to support the Comm games legacy initiative. Its been more than 2weeks, Weak as Piss
Yeah that's a really poor effort on his behalf but as you can see above Mermaid Beach is a stronghold for the LNP so perhaps he doesn't feel the need to put in a lot of effort?

Yeah that's a really poor effort on his behalf but as you can see above Mermaid Beach is a stronghold for the LNP so perhaps he doesn't feel the need to put in a lot of effort?

If true (and I am sure your close to the mark) it is another indictment on our system and lackadaisical nature of the electorate. The fact we pay (and pay well) for the lazy pollys on both sides of the house to all but disappear until election time (and only then if the seat is at risk) just boils my blood

The catch cry from both sides at the moment seems to be "yes we are s**t, but they are shiter"

If true (and I am sure your close to the mark) it is another indictment on our system and lackadaisical nature of the electorate. The fact we pay (and pay well) for the lazy pollys on both sides of the house to all but disappear until election time (and only then if the seat is at risk) just boils my blood

The catch cry from both sides at the moment seems to be "yes we are s**t, but they are shiter"
Yep. One of the advantages of living in a hotly contested seat is that you should never encounter this problem. It's interesting reading through the history of each seat on the Gold Coast and seeing how much of an impact the 2001 election had. For example, Gaven was created in 2001 and was considered to be a conservative electorate that would most likely vote the National party in but the Beattie government was able to secure that seat and has since been held by Labor 71% of the time. Having said that, the Labor party was virtually non-existent on the Gold Coast prior to 2001 which would explain why it has been considered historically conservative. Obviously a massive increase in population has changed the city's priorities dramatically over the last few decades.

If you intend to vote for Palaszczuk and her band of career politicians who've never done a day's work in their lives you'll get what you deserve
Campbell Newman and Annastacia Palaszczuk are both career politicians.

Campbell Newman's parents were politicians (a minister and senator respectively from Tasmania), and Annastacia Palaszczuk practically inherited the seat of Inala from her father Henry Palaszczuk.

Campbell Newman went to a grammar school and grew up to become Lord Mayor of Brisbane before further becoming Premier of Queensland. Annastacia Palaszczuk was a Chevoning Scholar and had experience in a number of political portfolios before becoming leader of the opposition.

They were both born with silver spoons in their mouths.

The only way to split them is by what party their mum and dad told them to join.

People are rarely banned on our board, everyone's opiniion is welcome, help me understand how Labor "better" for the Average man?

Is it by being a union crony, as you have to be a union organiser / lawyer / member to ascend in the Labor party, I would suggest that looking after 20% of the population isn't looking after the average man.

Is it by consistently spending more than you bring in and leaving the states and Country bankrupted

Everyone is entitled to an opinion and I know mine won't sway yours but thinking that the labor party is more caring of the average man is in my opinion naïve they create debt, waste savings and in turn burden the "average man" with wasted interest payments that could and should be used to build hospitals / roads / public transport etc, correct me if I'm wrong but 100% of the population use those.

The latest idea from the opposition leader is to not lease assests and instead use the profits from them to build new roads etc, I find this particularly interesting as there would be no profits in the first place if the LNP didn't fix up issues like the overpaying of health worker through the Labor pay system debacle and the employment of 20000 too many public servants. My point is labor gets back in and employee un-needed public servants and make the system un-profitable again and then how do they pay for the services again. Simple answer they can't, they are counting on nobody actually thinking that far ahead.
I disagree that 100% of the population use public transport, because public transport does not exist in many regional areas of Queensland.

The problem with the state (and national) budget is that there is less revenue. Basically, it means that the State of Queensland and generally the whole country isn't making as much money as before, yet we're still spending the same amount of money on services and public servants.

The Newman government is cutting services and firing public servants (public servants include road workers, people who work in the health and education systems, not just bureaucrats behind desks). The problem with this approach is that it effectively shrinks the economy to handle debt, because there are less jobs available, less job security, more people out of work, more people looking for work (effectively putting downward pressure on wages, and thus more difficult for people to negotiate above award wages and conditions - take into account Tony Abbott has brought Work Choices back into the public debate), less money being circulated in the economy, and the public services that have been cut are simply going to be worse for those who use them. It's just not conceivable for a service to be better when there's less staff on hand and poorer facilities. For health services, this could mean longer waiting lists and greater risk to people's health and safety. These measures are not meant to help public services (roads, hospitals, public transport), because the only way to help those services is to build infrastructure and hire people specifically for them. How is it possible to improve or maintain a hospital without spending money? Do you think a government shouldn't borrow money to fix damage from flooding and other natural disasters, and instead wait until they've saved enough money to rebuild roads, footpaths, major highways, drainage, et cetera?

Where does debt accumulate from? Obviously from borrowings. Why were these borrowings needed? To provide services that are urgently needed: to remove asbestos from public schools, to rebuild needed roads that were damaged in the floods, to create an adequate hospital service. Not all debt should be considered to be bad debt, or unsustainable - in the same way as people borrowing money for accommodation and transport (i.e. mortgages, personal loans). It's about the capacity to repay over a period of time.

The problem I have with both parties is that none of them have the guts to raise taxes. The reason I say this is that raising taxes will increase revenue, and therefore keep the standard of our services (that we seem to take for granted) in place. And it will help repay debt.

Newman - sacks s**t load of doctors/nurses...

Makes waiting lists to get on the waiting lists but won't admit there's a waiting list to get on a waiting list..

Makes election promise to hire more nurses and doctors.

Also claims that the ALP campaign is funded by outlaw motorcycle gangs
I have no idea how anybody can accept these laws, because they walk all over basic rights and thus what makes a democracy and fair legal system function - i.e. freedom of movement, freedom of association.

As for the firing of nurses, my sister lost her job as a nurse as a result of Newman's cuts. It's pretty disconcerting when you personally know people being fired. I don't think the Newman government takes into account that these are real people losing their jobs. It's all just numbers to them.

Where are these waiting lists (serious question) as I am a bit confused as to whether the system is better or worse, I am not close enough to this issue to provide any facts one way or another. Do you have some so I can make an informed decision?

As for your 4th point If you are referring to the propaganda (that BOTH sides are flinging at the public) the ad actually says the Bikies support the ALP and it's soft approach to crime not fund it. There is a massive difference between support and funding Ryano316 and the ALP has already said they will repeal the new laws so you can understand why the Bikies support them.
I want the laws appealed. I don't care about bikie clubs, but I will defend anybody's right to be fairly treated by our legal system - and punishing people for simply talking to undesirables is just unfair - if not outright Communist Russia-like. It's a law that says 'you can't talk to this person'. For anybody that wants a free and fair society, that just smacks of being overly controlling. The idea of any government controlling who I can or can't associate with is just... yuck.

As for those waiting lists, what they're probably referring to is the 'Outpatient wait list':

https://www.qld.gov.au/health/services/hospital-care/waiting-lists/process/index.html

It's not covered by the Wait Time Guarantee and a lot of people are still on a waiting list. It's not like the waiting list was reduced; in reality people were just shuffled to another list.

Honestly, it's not terrible... it's just a waste of time and money... and sort of 'meh'. And a bit annoying when he pats himself on the back for doing nothing...

Campbell Newman and Annastacia Palaszczuk are both career politicians.

Campbell Newman's parents were politicians (a minister and senator respectively from Tasmania), and Annastacia Palaszczuk practically inherited the seat of Inala from her father Henry Palaszczuk.

Campbell Newman went to a grammar school and grew up to become Lord Mayor of Brisbane before further becoming Premier of Queensland. Annastacia Palaszczuk was a Chevoning Scholar and had experience in a number of political portfolios before becoming leader of the opposition.

They were both born with silver spoons in their mouths.

The only way to split them is by what party their mum and dad told them to join.

I disagree that 100% of the population use public transport, because public transport does not exist in many regional areas of Queensland.

The problem with the state (and national) budget is that there is less revenue. Basically, it means that the State of Queensland and generally the whole country isn't making as much money as before, yet we're still spending the same amount of money on services and public servants.

The Newman government is cutting services and firing public servants (public servants include road workers, people who work in the health and education systems, not just bureaucrats behind desks). The problem with this approach is that it effectively shrinks the economy to handle debt, because there are less jobs available, less job security, more people out of work, more people looking for work (effectively putting downward pressure on wages, and thus more difficult for people to negotiate above award wages and conditions - take into account Tony Abbott has brought Work Choices back into the public debate), less money being circulated in the economy, and the public services that have been cut are simply going to be worse for those who use them. It's just not conceivable for a service to be better when there's less staff on hand and poorer facilities. For health services, this could mean longer waiting lists and greater risk to people's health and safety. These measures are not meant to help public services (roads, hospitals, public transport), because the only way to help those services is to build infrastructure and hire people specifically for them. How is it possible to improve or maintain a hospital without spending money? Do you think a government shouldn't borrow money to fix damage from flooding and other natural disasters, and instead wait until they've saved enough money to rebuild roads, footpaths, major highways, drainage, et cetera?

Where does debt accumulate from? Obviously from borrowings. Why were these borrowings needed? To provide services that are urgently needed: to remove asbestos from public schools, to rebuild needed roads that were damaged in the floods, to create an adequate hospital service. Not all debt should be considered to be bad debt, or unsustainable - in the same way as people borrowing money for accommodation and transport (i.e. mortgages, personal loans). It's about the capacity to repay over a period of time.

The problem I have with both parties is that none of them have the guts to raise taxes. The reason I say this is that raising taxes will increase revenue, and therefore keep the standard of our services (that we seem to take for granted) in place. And it will help repay debt.

I have no idea how anybody can accept these laws, because they walk all over basic rights and thus what makes a democracy and fair legal system function - i.e. freedom of movement, freedom of association.

As for the firing of nurses, my sister lost her job as a nurse as a result of Newman's cuts. It's pretty disconcerting when you personally know people being fired. I don't think the Newman government takes into account that these are real people losing their jobs. It's all just numbers to them.

I want the laws appealed. I don't care about bikie clubs, but I will defend anybody's right to be fairly treated by our legal system - and punishing people for simply talking to undesirables is just unfair - if not outright Communist Russia-like. It's a law that says 'you can't talk to this person'. For anybody that wants a free and fair society, that just smacks of being overly controlling. The idea of any government controlling who I can or can't associate with is just... yuck.

As for those waiting lists, what they're probably referring to is the 'Outpatient wait list':

https://www.qld.gov.au/health/services/hospital-care/waiting-lists/process/index.html

It's not covered by the Wait Time Guarantee and a lot of people are still on a waiting list. It's not like the waiting list was reduced; in reality people were just shuffled to another list.

Honestly, it's not terrible... it's just a waste of time and money... and sort of 'meh'. And a bit annoying when he pats himself on the back for doing nothing...

Thanks for your input jackenny I think we actual have a similar goal just from different view points. I am not condoning or supporting the need for us to have money in the bank first before providing services to the people or providing relief as you have mentioned above, it is a governments role to ensure it looks after its people. My concern comes from what I believe is Labors inability to manage the economy, they are happy to spend but have no idea how to pay for the spending. As a result we have massive interest bills (all wasted money) that could be used for front line services. Their model is unsustainable.

As for your thoughts on a free society I am interested as to how you think a true free society would work, we know there are people willing to kill, cheat and intimidate, how do you think society should deal with them?

So after a bit of research I've come up with some predictions for the 10 Gold Coast seats. Here they are:

LNP retaining certainties
Coomera
Currumbin
Mermaid Beach
Surfers Paradise

Likely LNP retention
Mudgeeraba
Southport

Key seats/hotly contested
Albert
Broadwater
Burleigh
Gaven

So, as you can see, the LNP is still likely to have majority of the seats on the Gold Coast following the 2015 election but the four key seats will be interesting to follow. Gaven is probably the most interesting of them all with an Independent currently holding the seat who was voted in a member of the LNP. Gaven has historically been a strong Labor seat so really any of the three could win.

So I'm finally unbanned (* you, general discussion board), and I'm a week behind the times with no motivation to reply to anything specific.

However, as a nurse who has to endure the forced sacking of thousands upon thousands of nurses throughout Queensland, there is no way in hell I'll be voting for the LNP or anybody who has any interest in supporting Newman's vile and inhumane destruction of Queensland's public healthcare system. The 'wait time guarantee' is a complete crock of s**t, emergency rooms are overflowing, and best yet, the constant reporting of 'not having enough beds' is simply covering up the fact that there are * all nurses in Queensland's public hospitals. There are plenty of beds, there is a plethora of equipment, yet there is nobody there to utilise them.

I've been bombarded for weeks by the Queensland Nurses Union about putting the LNP last, and that's exactly what EVERYONE should be doing if they even remotely care about the quality of healthcare in this state. Keep in mind that I'm not saying to vote for the ALP - that's your perogative. I'm merely saying '* Newman and * the LNP'.

The LNP treat their government as a 'for profit' organisation and have not an ounce of * given for anything that stands in their way of a surplus - NEVER should a government act as a 'for profit' business at the expense of the public. The worst thing the Libs have ever done is convince the public that 'debt is bad' ('the nation's credit card', etc - ******* *s).

We've lost nurses, teachers, experienced police officers, ambos, and countless public servants - oh, but we'll have a surplus! Yay! Tell that to your children when their friends start dying from preventable illnesses because public health is no longer accessible. Tell that to your children when they ask 'Mum/Dad - why are there so many people in my class?'. Tell that to your children when electricity prices are so excessive that airconditioning and the use of god damn ceiling fans are no longer affordable. Tell it to your children when Translink is privatised (sorry, 'leased') meaning their bus/train to school costs more than your weekly petrol allowance).

So * Newman and his attack on frontline services, and * the LNP and their outdated and pathetic ideologies.

Last edited:
The 'wait time guarantee' is a complete crock of s**t, emergency rooms are overflowing, and best yet, the constant reporting of 'not having enough beds' is simply covering up the fact that there are **** all nurses in Queensland's public hospitals. There are plenty of beds, there is a plethora of equipment, yet there is nobody there to utilise them.
I have heard this is/was the case at the Gold Coast University Hospital. I don't have any evidence to back this up but I heard that only a quarter of the beds were being used due to a lack of staff.

I have heard this is/was the case at the Gold Coast University Hospital. I don't have any evidence to back this up but I heard that only a quarter of the beds were being used due to a lack of staff.
I don't think it's a quarter, but it's nowhere near full either. It is severely understaffed and the funding is woefully mediocre. I've got a friend there who has told me there are still rooms and pieces of equipment that are brand new and have never been used at GCUH.

A lack of funding is plaguing every public hospital in Queensland, and with most of my friends at either the PA and RBH, they're both saying there are huge issues with wait times and staff shortages. The nurses that are currently employed are extremely overworked (with excessive penalty rates, mind you - so it'd be cheaper to employ extra nurses on non-overtime rates than to continue paying current nurses and 2 - 3 times their usual pay when they work more than their contracted hours). Same thing is happening at the GCUH.

I did see in the paper the other day though that Labor has promised to fund 4000 graduate nursing positions around Queensland should they get into power, which in itself is enough for anybody even remotely sane to vote for them - or at least vote for a minor party who will preference the ALP - given Newman's continuous attack on the health sector in Queensland.

Also, keep in mind that this is a direct quote from the Brisbane Times from the other day:

"After Tuesday's ALP campaign launch and the LNP launch on Sunday, the broad figures for 2015 election promises are $5.340 billion from the LNP and $1.282 billion from Labor."

That's a 4-to-1 difference in funding from Libs to Labs, so anyone in this thread with even the remote inclination to ask 'where's the money coming from?' - shut up and educate yourself on government expenditure and debt.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So I'm finally unbanned (**** you, general discussion board), and I'm a week behind the times with no motivation to reply to anything specific.

However, as a nurse who has to endure the forced sacking of thousands upon thousands of nurses throughout Queensland, there is no way in hell I'll be voting for the LNP or anybody who has any interest in supporting Newman's vile and inhumane destruction of Queensland's public healthcare system. The 'wait time guarantee' is a complete crock of s**t, emergency rooms are overflowing, and best yet, the constant reporting of 'not having enough beds' is simply covering up the fact that there are **** all nurses in Queensland's public hospitals. There are plenty of beds, there is a plethora of equipment, yet there is nobody there to utilise them.

I've been bombarded for weeks by the Queensland Nurses Union about putting the LNP last, and that's exactly what EVERYONE should be doing if they even remotely care about the quality of healthcare in this state. Keep in mind that I'm not saying to vote for the ALP - that's your perogative. I'm merely saying '**** Newman and **** the LNP'.

The LNP treat their government as a 'for profit' organisation and have not an ounce of **** given for anything that stands in their way of a surplus - NEVER should a government act as a 'for profit' business at the expense of the public. The worst thing the Libs have ever done is convince the public that 'debt is bad' ('the nation's credit card', etc - ******* ******s).

We've lost nurses, teachers, experienced police officers, ambos, and countless public servants - oh, but we'll have a surplus! Yay! Tell that to your children when their friends start dying from preventable illnesses because public health is no longer accessible. Tell that to your children when they ask 'Mum/Dad - why are there so many people in my class?'. Tell that to your children when electricity prices are so excessive that airconditioning and the use of god damn ceiling fans are no longer affordable. Tell it to your children when Translink is privatised (sorry, 'leased') meaning their bus/train to school costs more than your weekly petrol allowance).

So **** Newman and his attack on frontline services, and **** the LNP and their outdated and pathetic ideologies.

Passionate words Experimental and while I don't agree it is good to see passionate debate

Isn't it a true that there are 800 more nurses and 200 more doctors in Queensland now than the was during the last Labor government, it was mentioned during the debate this morning and Plebasuck didn't refute it or try to spin it. Then again someone that cant even tell you what the GST % is probably wouldn't know. If true it certainly dispels the idea that the system is more poorly resourced than is was under Labor when they couldn't even get the pay system right.

Why am I not surprised the UNIONS are telling people who to vote for, their methodology of espousing freedom for all out of one side of their face while telling you who to vote for like a dictator from the other is laughable. Unions as and idea are great but in reality they are corrupt and self serving, filled with bullies and intimidators. Read through the transcripts of the CFMEU investigation, I worked in construction in Melbourne for years and saw it first hand, they will never get my vote.

Can't agree with you about the debt is good idea, Billions wasted in interest rates is not good for anyone, while I don't like the sell off of assets it appears to be inevitable as Labor will continue to spend when they get back into office, whether it is next term or after that. Lets not forget why the debt levels are where they are today, Labor state and National governments, weak and corrupt. Serious question, can I ask why you think unsustainable debt and wasted billions in interest is good?

I don't think it's a quarter, but it's nowhere near full either. It is severely understaffed and the funding is woefully mediocre. I've got a friend there who has told me there are still rooms and pieces of equipment that are brand new and have never been used at GCUH.

A lack of funding is plaguing every public hospital in Queensland, and with most of my friends at either the PA and RBH, they're both saying there are huge issues with wait times and staff shortages. The nurses that are currently employed are extremely overworked (with excessive penalty rates, mind you - so it'd be cheaper to employ extra nurses on non-overtime rates than to continue paying current nurses and 2 - 3 times their usual pay when they work more than their contracted hours). Same thing is happening at the GCUH.

I did see in the paper the other day though that Labor has promised to fund 4000 graduate nursing positions around Queensland should they get into power, which in itself is enough for anybody even remotely sane to vote for them - or at least vote for a minor party who will preference the ALP - given Newman's continuous attack on the health sector in Queensland.

Also, keep in mind that this is a direct quote from the Brisbane Times from the other day:

"After Tuesday's ALP campaign launch and the LNP launch on Sunday, the broad figures for 2015 election promises are $5.340 billion from the LNP and $1.282 billion from Labor."

That's a 4-to-1 difference in funding from Libs to Labs, so anyone in this thread with even the remote inclination to ask 'where's the money coming from?' - shut up and educate yourself on government expenditure and debt.

One is funded, one is not, more ALP debt on top of their pile.

Can't agree with you about the debt is good idea
Do you have a mortgage, Iva? Or maybe a mobile phone plan, or a car loan? Or a credit card? Unless it gets out of control, it's all good debt. It achieved something. It gets 'paid off' and you end up with something to show for it. Comparatively, the debt 'inherited' by the current government helped pay for flood relief, public transport infrastructure, public hospital creations and expansions, as well as countless road and highway upgrades among other things. Without debt, these things could not have come into existence - and that's why it's classed as 'good debt'.

Despite what the LNP and their cronies attempt to portray, Queensland's 'debt issue' isn't an issue at all. When compared with QLD's GDP or GDI, it's not that big of a deal - especially considering much needed public transport (G:Link, the Springfield Line, increased Brisbane bus numbers, transport improvements in NQ) have come because of it. Similarly, we've been given Metricon Stadium, an Ipswich Hospital expansion, and the Gold Coast Uni hospital thanks to the previous government/s. I'm not claiming it was solely thanks to Beattie/Bligh, but it sure did help.

Debt is not always bad. It's not an opinion - it's fact. Queensland (and Australia, for that matter) is not about to implode because of it.

To answer your question about the nurse and doctor shortages - it's hardly 'improving numbers' when staff have been fired from one area, yet new nurses have been hired in a different area. The first area is still struggling (ED, critical care, etc), yet the second area is doing okay. The RBWH and the GCUH are effectively working at 50% efficiency at the moment thanks to Newman - what's the point of having state-of-the-art hospitals only for them to be underutilised? Newman appologised for this last year yet made no comment on how he plans on fixing what he ruined.

I think it was actually you, Iva Bigun, in a previous thread that basically summed up the ALP's current election tactic: "Yeah, we're bad - but the LNP is worse". That's pretty much it. The Queensland Labor Party had 3 years of planning, yet have completely underdelivered. This election was basically handed to them on a plate, but they've made very little effort in letting the Queensland people know what the party is prepared to offer.

As I've previously said, I won't be voting for either of the major parties, but I do hope that even if the ALP don't get back in, that Newman at least loses Ashgrove - that would make me happy.

However, the best part of Australia is that we are all free to form our own opinions and values and vote accordingly. I'm super excited for the election tomorrow and look forward to plonking myself down on the couch, glued to the TV!

Something that I forgot to mention earlier is that the LNP has committed to funding the second stage of the Gold Coast light rail, which is fantastic news. Similarly, they've commented on ensuring that there will be bus-only fast-lanes built in the lead up to the 2018 Commonwealth games (of which one will be built to/from Metricon). Great news for everyone on the Gold Coast.

Do you have a mortgage, Iva? Or maybe a mobile phone plan, or a car loan? Or a credit card? Unless it gets out of control, it's all good debt. It achieved something. It gets 'paid off' and you end up with something to show for it. Comparatively, the debt 'inherited' by the current government helped pay for flood relief, public transport infrastructure, public hospital creations and expansions, as well as countless road and highway upgrades among other things. Without debt, these things could not have come into existence - and that's why it's classed as 'good debt'.

Despite what the LNP and their cronies attempt to portray, Queensland's 'debt issue' isn't an issue at all. When compared with QLD's GDP or GDI, it's not that big of a deal - especially considering much needed public transport (G:Link, the Springfield Line, increased Brisbane bus numbers, transport improvements in NQ) have come because of it. Similarly, we've been given Metricon Stadium, an Ipswich Hospital expansion, and the Gold Coast Uni hospital thanks to the previous government/s. I'm not claiming it was solely thanks to Beattie/Bligh, but it sure did help.

Debt is not always bad. It's not an opinion - it's fact. Queensland (and Australia, for that matter) is not about to implode because of it.

To answer your question about the nurse and doctor shortages - it's hardly 'improving numbers' when staff have been fired from one area, yet new nurses have been hired in a different area. The first area is still struggling (ED, critical care, etc), yet the second area is doing okay. The RBWH and the GCUH are effectively working at 50% efficiency at the moment thanks to Newman - what's the point of having state-of-the-art hospitals only for them to be underutilised? Newman appologised for this last year yet made no comment on how he plans on fixing what he ruined.

I think it was actually you, Iva Bigun, in a previous thread that basically summed up the ALP's current election tactic: "Yeah, we're bad - but the LNP is worse". That's pretty much it. The Queensland Labor Party had 3 years of planning, yet have completely underdelivered. This election was basically handed to them on a plate, but they've made very little effort in letting the Queensland people know what the party is prepared to offer.

As I've previously said, I won't be voting for either of the major parties, but I do hope that even if the ALP don't get back in, that Newman at least loses Ashgrove - that would make me happy.

Please don't mention the flood I get chills, a flood that should never of happened if the dam was opened at 80% like is was supposed to be, but was allowed to fill to bursting point then the operators where over ruled by the water minister Steven Robinson.

I don't disagree that debt to build required infrastructure is a GOOD use of borrowed funds. But to use your quote with one small change "Debt is not always GOOD, It's not an opinion, its fact". I wonder how many of the assets you mention (Metricon, GC Uni hospital etc) could of been paid for (debt free) out of the 10's of billions we have paid overseas in interest as part of the labor legacy, 10 hospitals, 20 Metricons, 10,000 nurses?????

As for my quote it was "We are s**t but you are shitter", and was a slur on both sides of politics, I think that equates equally to both sides in this campaign, both have been well under what the people of this state deserve.

Whilst you and I may not agree on the way to go about it, I do think we want the same thing, a quality government that the people of this state can rely on. Unfortunately which ever way it goes that will not be the outcome tomorrow.

PS, don't bother to vote for a minor party they are all in Bed with Labor so your vote ends up in the same place regardless, last thing we need is a Jackie Lamby in the Queensland parliament.

EDIT: I didn't answer your first question, yes I have a small mortgage and in general finance terms this is known as bad debt (not good as your post states), I also have some investment properties which are know as good debt due to the tax breaks, capital growth and depreciation etc. work pays for my phone and I don't have car loan or a credit card. Mainly because I know how to spend wisely and within my means. A bit cheeky of me, but you did ask :D

Last edited:
Something that I forgot to mention earlier is that the LNP has committed to funding the second stage of the Gold Coast light rail, which is fantastic news. Similarly, they've commented on ensuring that there will be bus-only fast-lanes built in the lead up to the 2018 Commonwealth games (of which one will be built to/from Metricon). Great news for everyone on the Gold Coast.

Those bastards ;)

Iva Bigun, you seem to be fixated with Labor's previous government and the debt they racked up (a lot like some of the campaigns the LNP runs). Just because the Bligh government compiled debt doesn't mean a Palaszczuk government will. We're not living in 2012 anymore, the debt exists and we need to choose the correct party to deal with it efficiently while balancing other state interests. From what I've seen the Labor party appears to have promised around $1.7 billion compared to LNP's $5 billion. That is a considerable difference and there is no way I am in favour of them selling public assets to keep those promises.

Anyone have any interesting voting stories from today? Pretty standard stuff for me. People trying to hand me leaflets as I entered and selling food on the way out.

I thought it was interesting that all of the Greens/Independant/One Nation volunteers were saying "put LNP last", but weren't actually telling the people walking to the booths who to put first.

The whole political argument this election seems to be 'put who you want first, as long as LNP is last'. Thought that was pretty strange - everyone against Newman, it seems.

That is interesting Experimental. The media seems to be predicting a Labor win at this stage given the results of the Galaxy exit poll. Somewhere between a 16-17% swing in Labor's favour.

Iva Bigun, you seem to be fixated with Labor's previous government and the debt they racked up (a lot like some of the campaigns the LNP runs). Just because the Bligh government compiled debt doesn't mean a Palaszczuk government will. We're not living in 2012 anymore, the debt exists and we need to choose the correct party to deal with it efficiently while balancing other state interests. From what I've seen the Labor party appears to have promised around $1.7 billion compared to LNP's $5 billion. That is a considerable difference and there is no way I am in favour of them selling public assets to keep those promises.
If they have learnt from there errors then great, I welcome the change but I am sure you can understand why I might wait and see, it's like Newmansaying he will fix the health system, I am sure you would be sceptical until you saw positive results. Please God make the government one for the people

Remove this Banner Ad

Back