The Precinct at Alberton (Formerly The Port Club)

Remove this Banner Ad

Surprisingly true. Whenever I head to my mate's shack at Coobowie, our first stop is the hotel for a fresh schooner of WE draft.
Normally I wouldn't touch the stuff but it is bloody good after a long drive in the heat and the kids are no longer screaming in my ear.

RIP Coobowie Deli

http://www.seek.com.au/job/30300521...d=56368515901111861&tier=no_tier&whereid=1007

They're after a new Chef/Kitchen Staff/Venue staff

Established in 1870, the Port Adelaide Football Club is one of Australia's leading sporting organisations with a proud, successful history in both the AFL and SANFL competitions.

We are seeking applications from candidates with experience in the following roles:

• Chef or Kitchen Hand

• Bar, Gaming, Bistro & Function Staff

• Match Day Staff (includes weekend work)
These are casual roles working at the Port Club at Alberton; demonstrated experience in a similar role is required along with a desire to work in a fun team environment.

Only experienced applicants are invited to apply.

Please send your application to Linda Crabb, Venue & Magpies Marketing Manager with the subject heading "Port Club" by Monday 8th February.

Can only be a good thing :)

Anyone see on the facebook port memorabilia page Barry curtain get upset because people were commenting that the clubs food had gone downhill? Lol

Hi All,

Thanks for the feedback. I thought I'd update everyone with some of the recent concerns. The feedback from online sources, social media has been a mix with many great reviews and some not so great as per this thread. We have acknowledged it and discussed it at staff level and confident we are addressing it in the right way. A bit of commentary below to keep everyone updated.
Annually we will reduce our menu for the off season as revenue can be quite challenging. In the 2014/15 off-season we took the risk of not reducing it as we were confident in our product and momentum the Club had. Unfortunately this exposed us to a larger inventory and challenged us as a business so this off-season we reverted back to the old formula with a reduced summer menu.
We are more than your usual Pub and Club being member driven and to have a successful business model we sometimes have to make sacrifices which don't always appease the whole.
The Steakhouse concept has been a fun and exciting venture to our members but the majority didn't embrace it. From an operational sense it was very challenging when we are pumping out 250 meals plus in one night, firstly to be efficient and ensure that we delivered a high quality product. We anticipated that the novelty and unique concept would outweigh the smaller issues and drive into additional revenue but our core revenue was challenged to the point we had to keep on introducing more basic items. The quality we believe we passed but the efficiency was more than a challenge with complaints of our members waiting over an hour for their steak. The novelty items we tried to set a benchmark and attract new business but the return wasn't viable and didn't make sense when we had our members demanding pub classics.
In regards to personnel we have had a stable team who are very passionate about the Club and pride themselves on satisfying our members. The current team are the majority of the group who have been part of the journey of growing Club revenue streams since 2012 and continuously strive to make our Club the benchmark in the industry. Post Xmas our Exec Chef has moved on but we are confident Fev (Brendan Kew) our Head Chef from the Prince of Wales who has transferred to the Port Club will be up for the challenge.
We have put in metrics to measure our product but with some hard work over the past month and with our Football season menu due late February, the return of Talking Footy, rejuvenated salad and veg bar and Fev's new ideas I am pretty excited for 2016.
Due to current conditions surrounding beef you will notice many hotels and clubs are reducing meat inventory. Unfortunately, we have had to follow suit as the price of beef has skyrocketed and jeopardised our '1870 Steakhouse' branding. We hope to retain the 1870 branding but will be looking to replace the steakhouse name.. Fire away with some ideas folks.
In other news at the Club, Linda Crabb returned to the Port Club late last year after spending her last 10 years at PAFC working for the Magpies. Her new role is 'Venue & Magpies Marketing Manager' and will replace Sioban who has moved away with her new family to QLD. Linda has already brought a lot of new concepts and innovations to the Port Club with many exciting events scheduled throughout 2016.. Keep an eye out for a new one 'Family Feud' as we see the players and their families face off against each other! Players Uncut led by Bobby Carlile & Baz Curtin also kicks off in February with Bobby promising 'bigger and better than ever before'
Any ideas, feedback or questions you have please don't hesitate to respond as we want to ensure we are maximising the potential of our Club and offer a members the best experience in the AFL.
Remember every time you visit our great club 100% of the profits stay with the PAFC.

Thanks Dave

Last edited:
The Semaphore SLSC has their F-Yeah American Pale Ale on tap. It's a big, bold ale and goes down like a size queen at a lumberjack convention.
They had it on tap at the Lighthouse in the Port too. They were changing the tap over to Kol Schisel, that was Saturday.
Nice.

I've seen those bottles at Distill also.

I love checking out all the dusty pale ales at the Wheatsheaf... I often have a couple there before Port games.
A couple of my mates did the Wheaty before the Freo game rnd 23. They rocked up quite drunk.

Big Shed Golden Stout. Sold out atm but due to popular demand they have one brewing now. Tastes like (not just like but exactly like) a Golden Gaytime icecream.
This is the only one I'm yet to try and I hear it's the best. The West Coast IPA is delicious though. Big taste, hoppy and very aromatic. One of my facourites but a bit heavy to drink too much of.

Anyone on the Untappd app?

Hi All,

Thanks for the feedback. I thought I'd update everyone with some of the recent concerns. The feedback from online sources, social media has been a mix with many great reviews and some not so great as per this thread. We have acknowledged it and discussed it at staff level and confident we are addressing it in the right way. A bit of commentary below to keep everyone updated.
Annually we will reduce our menu for the off season as revenue can be quite challenging. In the 2014/15 off-season we took the risk of not reducing it as we were confident in our product and momentum the Club had. Unfortunately this exposed us to a larger inventory and challenged us as a business so this off-season we reverted back to the old formula with a reduced summer menu.
We are more than your usual Pub and Club being member driven and to have a successful business model we sometimes have to make sacrifices which don't always appease the whole.
The Steakhouse concept has been a fun and exciting venture to our members but the majority didn't embrace it. From an operational sense it was very challenging when we are pumping out 250 meals plus in one night, firstly to be efficient and ensure that we delivered a high quality product. We anticipated that the novelty and unique concept would outweigh the smaller issues and drive into additional revenue but our core revenue was challenged to the point we had to keep on introducing more basic items. The quality we believe we passed but the efficiency was more than a challenge with complaints of our members waiting over an hour for their steak. The novelty items we tried to set a benchmark and attract new business but the return wasn't viable and didn't make sense when we had our members demanding pub classics.
In regards to personnel we have had a stable team who are very passionate about the Club and pride themselves on satisfying our members. The current team are the majority of the group who have been part of the journey of growing Club revenue streams since 2012 and continuously strive to make our Club the benchmark in the industry. Post Xmas our Exec Chef has moved on but we are confident Fev (Brendan Kew) our Head Chef from the Prince of Wales who has transferred to the Port Club will be up for the challenge.
We have put in metrics to measure our product but with some hard work over the past month and with our Football season menu due late February, the return of Talking Footy, rejuvenated salad and veg bar and Fev's new ideas I am pretty excited for 2016.
Due to current conditions surrounding beef you will notice many hotels and clubs are reducing meat inventory. Unfortunately, we have had to follow suit as the price of beef has skyrocketed and jeopardised our '1870 Steakhouse' branding. We hope to retain the 1870 branding but will be looking to replace the steakhouse name.. Fire away with some ideas folks.
In other news at the Club, Linda Crabb returned to the Port Club late last year after spending her last 10 years at PAFC working for the Magpies. Her new role is 'Venue & Magpies Marketing Manager' and will replace Sioban who has moved away with her new family to QLD. Linda has already brought a lot of new concepts and innovations to the Port Club with many exciting events scheduled throughout 2016.. Keep an eye out for a new one 'Family Feud' as we see the players and their families face off against each other! Players Uncut led by Bobby Carlile & Baz Curtin also kicks off in February with Bobby promising 'bigger and better than ever before'
Any ideas, feedback or questions you have please don't hesitate to respond as we want to ensure we are maximising the potential of our Club and offer a members the best experience in the AFL.
Remember every time you visit our great club 100% of the profits stay with the PAFC.

Thanks Dave
Cheers.
I'll be @ the Port Club for Talking Footy on Thursday Dave. Hope Fev will be cooking up a storm.

They had it on tap at the Lighthouse in the Port too. They were changing the tap over to Kol Schisel, that was Saturday.

A couple of my mates did the Wheaty before the Freo game rnd 23. They rocked up quite drunk.

This is the only one I'm yet to try and I hear it's the best. The West Coast IPA is delicious though. Big taste, hoppy and very aromatic. One of my facourites but a bit heavy to drink too much of.

Anyone on the Untappd app?
Yeh, did the tasting paddle at Big Shed and all great beers.

Hi All,

Thanks Dave
Great to see the club taking on board feedback, cant wait to get back for a meal and a pint

I completely understand the reasoning and I'm sure it's backed up by the statistics, but that's a real shame. I've now got no reason at this point to go to the club when I can go elsewhere for cheaper food and a newer environment. I love the club, but that is all they will be trading on and the only business it will now get from me is a parmi once a year at the family day. Losing the steakhouse is super depressing.

Thanks for the feedback, it seems we will have to be content with the basics because of the usual clientel being older and more interested in the standard pub meal.

P.s please consider replacing the carpet, it's genuinely awful.

TO NORDBURGER!

I didn't think the pub classics had ever actually disappeared?

I know it's more complicated than that, but that would surprise the hell out of me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I rarely go for a meal to the club - I'm just one of those old guys that drink beer there, usually on game day.
But it certainly makes sense to have a financial sustainable bar/restaurant. There's no point trying to be all things to all people.

Businesses in Alberton are unfortunately somewhat constrained by the fact that they're in Alberton.

Specifically designed to hide stains (and to induce hallucinogenic spasms on the unwary)

thePR1NCE

I live in the city.
I've got a family of five. All Port supporters.
From October to March every year, we head to the Semaphore SLSC each Saturday at 11am and stay until 4ish for the kid's nipper training.
Once we leave, we're buggered and looking for somewhere to plonk the tribe down and fill them with carbs and me with whiskey and/or beer.
There are three other families that I know of in the same circumstances, each and every Saturday over the off season.

Some questions:
1. Would the Steakhouse—or whatever incarnate it currently is—be open to families in this situation? (a bit wet, a bit sandy, and a bit rambunctious.)
2. Is there any benefit in bringing my tribe there instead of heading down to the Lighthouse or one of the pizza bars along Commercial Rd?

I completely understand the reasoning and I'm sure it's backed up by the statistics, but that's a real shame. I've now got no reason at this point to go to the club when I can go elsewhere for cheaper food and a newer environment. I love the club, but that is all they will be trading on and the only business it will now get from me is a parmi once a year at the family day. Losing the steakhouse is super depressing.

Thanks for the feedback, it seems we will have to be content with the basics because of the usual clientel being older and more interested in the standard pub meal.

TO NORDBURGER!

Thanks Doctor Feel,

We tried to be innovative and unique which we thought would attract members from outside our region, we did get extra clientele but this was few and far between. We have utilised our internal marketing resources, growing our social media profile and letterbox drops/general advertising. The reality is that we would still sell our core items such as Schnitzels, roasts etc 10:1. The inventory we removed to introduce the various steaks etc performed poorly against the new items and we have to have a sustainable business model. The quality was very high for a good 12 months plus with excellent reviews but the revenue stream on these products did not justify the concept we persisted with. The pricing was an issue as we sourced top quality meat and had to cover our expenses. Before we pulled this concept completely we did offer a few cheaper alternatives via the specials board but unfortunately the quality reflected what we were purchasing.

In regards to the carpet, totally agree. It is a priority to extend the new Sports Bar carpeting throughout the venue and planning to have this a part of our Capital Expenditure next Financial Year.
It has been budgeted for previous years but we have had to prioritise the allocated spend. Due to the majority of plant and equipment at the Club being over 15 years old we have had to address other outstanding issues but carpet is an ongoing discussion.

Hope to see you Family Day and let us know how your Parmi is Family Day..

Thanks

thePR1NCE

I live in the city.
I've got a family of five. All Port supporters.
From October to March every year, we head to the Semaphore SLSC each Saturday at 11am and stay until 4ish for the kid's nipper training.
Once we leave, we're buggered and looking for somewhere to plonk the tribe down and fill them with carbs and me with whiskey and/or beer.
There are three other families that I know of in the same circumstances, each and every Saturday over the off season.

Some questions:
1. Would the Steakhouse—or whatever incarnate it currently is—be open to families in this situation? (a bit wet, a bit sandy, and a bit rambunctious.)
2. Is there any benefit in bringing my tribe there instead of heading down to the Lighthouse or one of the pizza bars along Commercial Rd?

Hi Bomber,

1) Definitely bring down the Families, we have a kids menu selection and we are a family club and a bit of sand is nothing the vacuum cleaner can't handle.

2) it is a point of difference and can be a great way to show the kids PAFC's own club which is full of memorabilia displaying many of our Clubs great achievements. The kids can also bring a footy and have a kick in the hallowed turf of Alberton Oval.

Thanks Doctor Feel,

We tried to be innovative and unique which we thought would attract members from outside our region, we did get extra clientele but this was few and far between. We have utilised our internal marketing resources, growing our social media profile and letterbox drops/general advertising. The reality is that we would still sell our core items such as Schnitzels, roasts etc 10:1. The inventory we removed to introduce the various steaks etc performed poorly against the new items and we have to have a sustainable business model. The quality was very high for a good 12 months plus with excellent reviews but the revenue stream on these products did not justify the concept we persisted with. The pricing was an issue as we sourced top quality meat and had to cover our expenses. Before we pulled this concept completely we did offer a few cheaper alternatives via the specials board but unfortunately the quality reflected what we were purchasing.

In regards to the carpet, totally agree. It is a priority to extend the new Sports Bar carpeting throughout the venue and planning to have this a part of our Capital Expenditure next Financial Year.
It has been budgeted for previous years but we have had to prioritise the allocated spend. Due to the majority of plant and equipment at the Club being over 15 years old we have had to address other outstanding issues but carpet is an ongoing discussion.

Hope to see you Family Day and let us know how your Parmi is Family Day..

Thanks

Haha this is great. I'll be there. Thanks for your response. I know it must be difficult trying all the right things and just not getting the results. You will always get the trade of the die hards and local port fans, and sometimes you just need to know your market which you appear to have found. Glad to hear about the carpet, hopefully brightens the place a bit as it can be quite dark.

Oh and in 2014, the club did an amazing job for the Freo away final. That was a great night.

thePR1NCE

Any talk of a kids play cafe type area for all the mums with kids during the day?

Hi Zakk,

I'll be able to give some clarity on this later in the season. We have discussed the opportunities for kids entertainment etc but our capital expenditure list is still very long. Personally, I'd love to see the Quinn stand rejuvenated and modify the front rows so we could enable natural light into the club with opening cafe doors and a game day village set up the whole length of the stand to the boundary. The kids would be able to run around on the oval after school whilst parents enjoy the outdoor area plus we would have the added bonus of our members watching the Power and Magpies train while enjoying a meal/beverage. it would transform the Port Club into one hell of a venue and Magpies match days would be monumental.

Hi Zakk,

I'll be able to give some clarity on this later in the season. We have discussed the opportunities for kids entertainment etc but our capital expenditure list is still very long. Personally, I'd love to see the Quinn stand rejuvenated and modify the front rows so we could enable natural light into the club with opening cafe doors and a game day village set up the whole length of the stand to the boundary. The kids would be able to run around on the oval after school whilst parents enjoy the outdoor area plus we would have the added bonus of our members watching the Power and Magpies train while enjoying a meal/beverage. it would transform the Port Club into one hell of a venue and Magpies match days would be monumental.

This is similar to the setup at gliderol. I had a meal there a few months back and it was absolutely packed with families and kids. The kids were out on the oval with the lights on.

Haha this is great. I'll be there. Thanks for your response. I know it must be difficult trying all the right things and just not getting the results. You will always get the trade of the die hards and local port fans, and sometimes you just need to know your market which you appear to have found. Glad to hear about the carpet, hopefully brightens the place a bit as it can be quite dark.

Oh and in 2014, the club did an amazing job for the Freo away final. That was a great night.

Thanks, wow that night i can still remember the random high-fives, hugs, the chants - it was unbelievable. 4000 plus that night and Could be heard suburbs away.

I can't wait for the next one!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back