The positives thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Have a look at our history.

Bears supporters endured 8 years without a final series when they first came in.

Fitzroy supporters went 57 years without a premiership and twice went 18 seasons in a row without playing in the finals (1925 to 1942 and 1961 to 1978 - the later including a periods of winning just 1 game in two years, 6 games in 4 years and 19 games in 7 years)

It is when things are at their worst that the Club needs people to stand by them. It is the quality of such people that make a Club. I suggest we all take a deep breath and ask ourselves what would Vossy, Roger Merrett, Leigh Matthews or Kevin Murray do?

Accept the challenge, never give in, never take a backward step. It is when the chips are down we need our best supporters to come together to help lift the Club out of the mire.

Of course it will be tough, of course it will be a long road, and yeah you are going to question a lot of things along the way (and rightly so).

However, it is time for everyone involved in the Club - players, coaches, Board, admin / employees, volunteers and supporters - to stand up and say enough is enough. Only when we have had enough of our current predicament and are all pulling in the one direction with the sole aim of giving everything to achieve success again will we start the slow climb back towards the summit and ultimate glory.

Hopefully today we finally reached the bottom. Hopefully we have all now had enough. Hopefully we are all now ready for the hard yards necessary to get to the top again.

Positive: this post is one of the best I've seen on BF.

BlA9umaIAAAFn1G.jpg

Stay positive Lions amigos. We will be back!

I have a couple!

• Lewy Taylor and Nick Robertson both did their utmost to stand up in the face of extreme adversity. Both appear to be fighters, and look to be able to improve their disposal.
  • GC's heavy loss to the Hawks indicates that the Lions really were off of their game over the last two weeks, and this is definitely not the best that they can dish up
  • Our team is likely to be transformed if and when all of Green, Rich, Ash, Mcguane, Staker, Leuey, Merrett/Goose, Hanley, and Beams all come back on deck.
  • The instances in which posters on our board use 'verse' instead of 'versus' are decreasing.
  • I have a rad avatar.

Main positive is the young guys. The 4 main picks, Aish, Taylor, Robbo and Cutler, none of those 4 seemed to be overwhelmed with the crushing defeat. They didn't look lost, they all managed to get into the game. Robbo did very well, just needs to adjust to the tempo of the game at that level, and learn how to keep his arms free to shoot off an effective handball when he wins the ball. We should have Black doing some one on one handball training with him every week under pressure.

I was really impressed with the way Cutler hung on to the ball before giving that handball off to Clarke i think for a goal. No panic, drew the man then bang. I also was happy with the way Lewy finished the game out. Once he gets all 4 qtrs going he will rack up disposals at will. Robbo was hard and tough and gave a real go with trying to make something with his clearances.

It was a beauty, just not sure it warranted the celebration that came after it in light of the scoreline at that stage.

Only get one first goal. Let him enjoy it.

It was a beauty, just not sure it warranted the celebration that came after it in light of the scoreline at that stage.
I think it's fine to celebrate your first goal at senior level. Spesh if you're a defender. Even more spesh if the opposition was giving as little away as it was at the time.

Main positive is the young guys. The 4 main picks, Aish, Taylor, Robbo and Cutler, none of those 4 seemed to be overwhelmed with the crushing defeat. They didn't look lost, they all managed to get into the game. Robbo did very well, just needs to adjust to the tempo of the game at that level, and learn how to keep his arms free to shoot off an effective handball when he wins the ball. We should have Black doing some one on one handball training with him every week under pressure.
I think I read (skimmed over) a Lions article/tweet/quote somewhere that Dizzy was in consideration for selection last week as well.
I take it this means he is likely for some stage of the year and is doing nicely too. I think this is a good/promising sign for where we're headed.

I think I read (skimmed over) a Lions article/tweet/quote somewhere that Dizzy was in consideration for selection last week as well.
I take it this means he is likely for some stage of the year and is doing nicely too. I think this is a good/promising sign for where we're headed.
Would prefer Goose to come in. Cant afford another young kid atm.

I got to see most of J. Brown's 249 games and will sit down watch him play his 250th.

One of the best being round 6 2005. I think it was after GF suspension. He kicked eight and spent to night smashing into packs of bomber's players, knocking them down like bowling pins.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wasn't suggesting he be played this week. The discussion was about the positives of our newly acquired draftees. The fact that he was in consideration is positive, not that he should be played.;)

This is just a really long pre-season so we can make our resurgence in our real jumper next year!

18 games to go.

With Leppitsch beside him, Hardwick had the worst record of any coach in history after 7 games. Leppa is going down a similar path and fielding young teams. He will cop pain in order to lay the foundations. The situation as Brisbane isn't as dire as it was at Richmond, so you blokes should win a few games sooner rather than later.

Clarke's goal was fantastic. I think we all forget how few games he has played and how young he is. If he played in a team from any other state the commentators would all be in raptures. Hopefully we have him for life.

He is still very raw for a key defender. Compare him to May from GC who has played 38 games and was drafted in 2010. That is a world of experience and preseason development ahead. Clarke is on about game 18 and still just over a year into his AFL career. Our need has meant we had to play him early but that will pay off in the long run.

Given that key defenders can be late developers, he has come a long way in a short time and he will keep getting better. Five years from now he will have hopefully racked up well over a hundred games and still not yet be at his peak.

Right now he is just learning what defending is all about at this level and he is probably getting lessons that few other key defenders get to learn so young. But it will pay off. I think we saw just a glimpse of what might come with that goal.

Great to see Bruny Oval on Jack Irish last night.
Not the best surface but the grandstand brings back great memories.
The footy snip wasn't great but at least Fitzroy kicked a goal.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back