The positives thread

BigCat2

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 10, 2006
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Glad we didn't win, otherwise our victory song would have needed to feature 7 players (and the rest of the huddle not big enough)! ;)

Great performance from our kids. Get excited!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jan 9, 2009
Queensland
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Browny is an absolute legend and it was great to see him take some big marks and kick 4 goals in his 250th!

Adcock played a good game last night and was captain courageous.

Rocky and Zorko really stood up in that first quarter when we were playing horribly and they did their best to provide some run for us.

Sam Mayes worked hard and looked a class above at times. Unfortunately his disposal let him down at times tonight which is unusual for Maysie but it is not something to worry about because we all know he has close to elite disposal.

Aish did some quality things and he seems to be adapting better to the pace of senior footy.

Taylor is unable to run out a full game as of yet but once he gets a couple of pre seasons into him he will be a beauty. He was a steal at pick 28. That running goal was beautiful.

Talking of draft steals, Nick "Robbo" Robertson stood up in just his 2nd game. He worked his ass off all night and despite making a few errors, he never dropped his head. He will be a clearance machine.

Tom Cutler just looks like he belongs at this level. He is so composed and he looked more comfortable then he did against Port. I can see this kid getting better and better every senior game he plays as he adapts to the pace of senior footy. He runs hard to receive the ball and his decision making skills and delivery are great for a 2nd gamer. He covers so much ground. One minute he is receiving a handball in the backline and the next he is crumbing a goal up forward. He could be our replacement for Yeo.

Gardiner had a tough 1st game playing on Dustin Martin but I loved how he really niggled Martin all night and Martin ended up giving away a couple of free kicks as a result. This was a good base to build on.

Overall the 2013 draft class is shaping up to be a beauty for us and possibly even better then the 2008 draft:thumbsu:

All in all I thought the boy's tried really hard last night and they were far more competitive compared to the past 2 games vs. GC and Port. I loved how they stepped up after the poor 1st quarter and worked really hard in the 2nd and 3rd terms. Unfortunately the 5 day break killed us in the last quarter but that was always going to happen with such a young team. I am proud of the effort overall though and it was great to see the youngsters have a real crack:thumbsu:

I love the Brisbane Lions. I am proud to be part of the rebuild and the return of our clubs great culture. Seriously the losses are crushing but I re watched the 2nd and 3td quarters and nobody and I mean nobody can criticize our effort. Then you take Rocky who is an elite mid and an absolute role model who I'd build the culture around. He reminds me of Luke Hodge in a lot of ways and I can't compliment him enough by saying that.

/easter beer happy mood rant

Harzy kicked a goal in the ressies yesterday. It was a great day.

Oh and I met Robbo44 on Thursday night. That's gotta be a positive, right? :p :D

James North

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 18, 2013
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Giving away less free kicks than last year...
Winning the clearances, or at least being competitive, after it being our bugbear for years. Might be a bit too controversial for this thread, but I honestly think the omission of Raines has a lot to do with that, as having an extra person dedicated to winning the ball instead of nullifying another player makes it easier to clear and spread.

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Winning the clearances, or at least being competitive, after it being our bugbear for years. Might be a bit too controversial for this thread, but I honestly think the omission of Raines has a lot to do with that, as having an extra person dedicated to winning the ball instead of nullifying another player makes it easier to clear and spread.

Has our contested footy been that good this year?

Sep 14, 2012
Broadbeach
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I think its improved out of sight. We are playing a very young and inexperienced side yet have been breaking even and in some cases leading the opposition in CP and clearances. We just need a bit more polish to our disposals to make full effect of winning this important part of the game.

On topic, the most pleasing thing I have is that so far we are winning on the 'go home 5'. The players we got so far have all shown that they can play at the top level. Polec is the one going to hurt us the most IMO not Yeo as some have suggested. We have a plethora of HBF but we are still lacking in that outside X factor that the great teams have...

Has our contested footy been that good this year?
IMO our contested footy is much better than previous years. It's our uncontested footy - the forward 50 entries or the transition from contested to uncontested where we're falling apart.

May 3, 2005
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Scuderia Ferrari, Dallas Cowboys
IMO our contested footy is much better than previous years. It's our uncontested footy - the forward 50 entries or the transition from contested to uncontested where we're falling apart.

It's like that time I did that home wine-making course and forgot how to drive.

AFLQLD

Premiership Player
Jul 15, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
There are other teams?
A win!!! And the first win in a Lions jersey for Aish, West, McGuane, Taylor, Robertson, Cutler and Gardiner!!!!! The first of many.

Back