The positives thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I think we are close to the very bottom now, in the sense that things can't get much worse. The positive about that is: soon we can only go up.

As perverse as it sounds, I think we can take some solace from being close to our lowest point. I don't think we will win many this season but every game where we show a little bit of heart and desire will mean something. Every player who shows heart and desire will mean something.

We have some heavy losses to endure this season but if each game delivers just one or two signs that there is hope for the future, we can build on it.

Here is my weekly praise of Justin Clarke:

He stuffs up, makes mistakes, gets caught out...but he never, ever stops trying his hardest. He is desperate and courageous every time the ball comes his way.

I can watch Clarke and forgive him his errors because there is never any doubt at all that he does absolutely everything he can, to fight and scrap and pressure and defend, often with minimal support. In our dreadful performances this year he is one player I feel can hold his head high. There was one time when he had three opponents at him and somehow he managed to hold them up until, belatedly, help arrived.

He was exhausted and well beaten by Dixon and still desperately spoiling the ball in the fourth quarter as if the game was in the balance.

Still young but already one of our most valuable players. And a player with the attitude we so urgently need right now.

Wish he had twitter so I can let him know how well he is doing because he deserves every bit of praise he gets

I'm sure I've said it before, and I'll say it again (and you better pay attention because I have form when it comes to this prediction!), Justin Clarke will be the 2015 Club Champion, and if he isn't then it will be a travesty of justice.

I'm sure I've said it before, and I'll say it again (and you better pay attention because I have form when it comes to this prediction!), Justin Clarke will be the 2015 Club Champion, and if he isn't then it will be a travesty of justice.

Beams in front right now for mine. Clarke and Rich thereabouts.

Beams continues to improve wach week as he settles in. Think it was his best game this week. Once Rocky and Hanley are back in there i think he will really start cracking heads.
I don't think we can under estimate the benefit Hanley will bring to our game when he comes back. Add in a kpf of better than moderate ability, and we will straighten up immensely. And we'll beat Carlton next week because they are shitter than us.

I know times are bleak at the moment but I think people are underestimating the impact of having a fit Rockliff, Hanley and Merrett added to this side. Not only are they all quality players but they are leaders and they are important to our game plan and structure. Merrett is the leader we need down back to order players around and make sure they are in the right positions. Rockliff is our main link up player and along with Hanley they are vitally important to our game plan as Rocky does the link work while Hanley does the breaking of the lines. Not to mention the added confidence that the other players will have when these three return and the load it will take off the likes of Clarke, Gardiner, DBeams, Rich, Redden and Zorko resulting in their performances improving. And I daresay if our midfield picks up once those two(Rocky and Hanley) return our forward line will look more functional and the Mozzies will thrive as more opportunities are created. The second half of the year will be a big improvement on the first.

There wasnt a lot to feel positive about but Nrobbo had a real crack. I said it before, he will play a lot of games this year.

Our 'back four' at the start of the last quarter was:

Clarke Paparone Andrews Gardiner

Whilst this will cause a lot of hurt for us this season; it's a rock solid foundation to build our team on and all look like they are buying in to the club and learning their craft.

And with Andrews and Paparone both able to play other positions, it's a highly flexible crew back there :thumbsu:

McStay, another who can play defence as needed; was really impressive in only his 15th game - a real confidence booster for him I'm sure.

Whilst this will cause a lot of hurt for us this season; it's a rock solid foundation to build our team on and all look like they are buying in to the club and learning their craft.

And with Andrews and Paparone both able to play other positions, it's a highly flexible crew back there :thumbsu:

McStay, another who can play defence as needed; was really impressive in only his 15th game - a real confidence booster for him I'm sure.

I agree with this entire post, and particularly this bolded bit. For him to see that he can get that role done effectively at AFL level for a whole game is gold dust. I reckon both the fans and the young KPFs just need that encouragement to endure the rougher times while they're learning.

Beyond it just being a win, I think yesterday was so valuable for us as a club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Clarke 21
Paparone 20
Andrews 18
Gardiner 19

That is something to work with, plus it was a good selection because the structure was right, helped by Andrews being outstanding. But Darcy released to play third tall and Paparone able to play a looser more attacking role. All of a sudden we looked a lot better. Goes to show how much the loss of Merrett has hurt us.

Wish he had twitter so I can let him know how well he is doing because he deserves every bit of praise he gets
Totally agree, not sure where the Clarke doubters ever came from but he is an A grade defender and one of the best in the league, the stats prove it too.

Totally agree, not sure where the Clarke doubters ever came from but he is an A grade defender and one of the best in the league, the stats prove it too.

Really solid, developing defender, but not A-Grade...far from it.

I can see him becoming a Darren Glass clone by 25 (who was A-Grade).

I love Clarkes body language
Always seems calm .no matter the situation.
He is an absolute gem.

It was fun seeing him stream forward with Aish after that 50m penalty. Shame it didn't work out in a goal, but fun to watch regardless.

Clarke is one of the most completely likeable footballers I can remember.

Clarke's a legend.

Also Leuey should play his 100th game against the Saints in two weeks and I'll be there.

Will be great to see him finally get to 100 games.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back