The positives thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Like McEvoy & Hale?
Lobb & Downie?
Maric & Hampson?
Sandilands & Griffin?
Grundy & Witts?

Plenty of dual rucks getting about, and those not playing 2 rucks have more than one good forward.

Well I didn't look at every team. The point is, none of those are relied on to kick goals. None of those teams rely on their forwards to share the ruck load. With the list we have, if we got Dixon, he is to play forward, fullstop. He can provide a chop out in the forward 50, but would be wasted in the middle. On the other hand, Martin provides plenty around the ground. An extra ruck doesn't have to rest forward (particularly if the sub is done away with), but both ours can still provide a target and bring the ball down, even if they're not taking big grabs and scoring.

I did look at every team earlier in the year.

Most teams do run a single ruck who takes most of the ruckwork. We're an exception, along with West Coast and Collingwood. Fremantle plays Clarke more than Griffen, GWS had Stewart in with Mumford, etc.

I did look at every team earlier in the year.

Most teams do run a single ruck who takes most of the ruckwork. We're an exception, along with West Coast and Collingwood. Fremantle plays Clarke more than Griffen, GWS had Stewart in with Mumford, etc.
Hmmm. Those I identified was a quick list from this weekends matches. So if not the norm, that's how they structured up this week. From hitout numbers, those I listed spent significant time rucking.

Hmmm. Those I identified was a quick list from this weekends matches. So if not the norm, that's how they structured up this week. From hitout numbers, those I listed spent significant time rucking.

Yes, I'm suggesting it's not the norm for those teams across the year. Maric's played 16 games, Hampson only 3. Sandilands 16, Griffen 2 (Clarke 12).

For the season, the combinations of multiple actual rucks (within at least a 2:1 ratio of hitouts) where both have played in a majority of games are Martin/Leuenberger, Grundy/Witts, some combination of Ceglar/McEvoy/Hale, Naitanui/Sinclair, Lobbe/Ryder, and Pyke/Tippett. Ryder and Tippett are credible forwards (Hale to a lesser extent), so it really only is four teams that go with a two ruck combination as their preferred option. GWS prefers Mumford solo, Fremantle prefers Sandilands solo and Richmond prefers Maric solo, all with a fill-in option to give them a break (Stewart, Clarke and Griffiths generally for each).

Yes, I'm suggesting it's not the norm for those teams across the year. Maric's played 16 games, Hampson only 3. Sandilands 16, Griffen 2 (Clarke 12).

For the season, the combinations of multiple actual rucks (within at least a 2:1 ratio of hitouts) where both have played in a majority of games are Martin/Leuenberger, Grundy/Witts, some combination of Ceglar/McEvoy/Hale, Naitanui/Sinclair, Lobbe/Ryder, and Pyke/Tippett. Ryder and Tippett are credible forwards (Hale to a lesser extent), so it really only is four teams that go with a two ruck combination as their preferred option. GWS prefers Mumford solo, Fremantle prefers Sandilands solo and Richmond prefers Maric solo, all with a fill-in option to give them a break (Stewart, Clarke and Griffiths generally for each).
Fair enough. It seems we're ahead of the pack then.:cool::$

Looking at it another way; how many other clubs have 2 ruckmen on their list as good as Martin and Leuenberger (now that Leuey has found some form)?

Other clubs probably don't get the same advantage in the midfield by playing 2 genuine ruckmen. Collingwood have Witts and Grundy although Grundy is fairly solid up forward.

Fair enough. It seems we're ahead of the pack then.:cool::$

2nd, 3rd, 11th, 18th. Looks like we're in good company if you throw out the Pies, and who doesn't!

Robbo was in our top 5 players. Was closely watching his opponent, but as soon as the ball hit the ground he just dives at it head first. He might be playing a tag type role, but it isnt the heavy tag like what Raines use to do. I really hope he plays a lot of footy with our young guys because he is a great example of effort and hunger for the contest. Overall, our boys dont go hard enough for the ball, still too happy to sit back and try tackle the guy that does get it. Id rather see us get pinged more getting caught diving on it.

Mayes had a really solid game which i was very happy with. He has had a dirty year so far, was good to see him bounce back. Beasley was also good. Im happy with our defensive players for the next decade. I think we have the pieces. Just need to sort the forward line and keep adding some midfield grunt and polish.

The fact that Robinson has 'stood out' this season sums up our year. Had our squad been fit/uninjured, i doubt he would have been more than a bit player.

Bundy was on Sen this afternoon. Come across great, said his enjoying his time at Brisbane and that its nice to walk down the street unnoticed. Full of admiration for Beams going by the what he said today.

Bundy was on Sen this afternoon. Come across great, said his enjoying his time at Brisbane and that its nice to walk down the street unnoticed. Full of admiration for Beams going by the what he said today.

He seems very level headed for someone who had to leave Geelong due to personal issues.

Care to expand?
Paraphrasing but it went along these lines- he said the fact that he puts his body on the line in most contests even though he has a bung shoulder has earnt him a lot of respect and that Beams is very switched on come game time. He said he is easy going off field but once its time to get it done his ready to rock. Bundy himself come across well. He mentioned that he was overweight and unfit at the start of his time with the Lions but is getting close to full fitness now and is getting the rewards on the field with better performances. He also said the Lions are putting the building blocks in place to be a good side down the track. Come across as a humble likable guy. I'm sure SEN has a podcast, it was on the afternoon show with Mark Allen and The Ox.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wonder if there is a trend towards dual ruck combos as the season wears on and the single rucks start to get weary.

I suspect the trend we're seeing will eventuate in the next generation of rucks being far more capable as midfielders than forwards. We'll see guys like Martin but with better skills, able to run on a wing or even shift onball alongside another ruckman. Right now, it is only skill/game sense that is holding someone like Martin back as a midfielder.

If history repeats we have a great five years coming up. Prelim.next year, prelim. The year after. Then three solid years of ultimate september success. Bring on the wooden spoon.
This is actually interesting, that team certainly wasn't worthy of a wooden spoon, and neither is this one (although a bit younger and not as good)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back