The positives thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Right there is the problem.

Tbh this is the only thing I'm worried about. I can't see another exodus happening, but we do need better facilities and personal to ensure our players can reach their potential.

I just look at Collingwood and their development of average players and think if we can apply the same to our above average players our on field exploits will increase 10 fold.

Still, positively speaking we have some super talent in our stocks and will draft/trade some elite talent in come the end of the year. Exciting times ahead, no matter how frustrating losses can be.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Andrews needs to trust his kicking more. Take te mark, get back off the mark quickly and then kick it. A few times early he went the quick hand pass to a pressured oponent but his kicking is excellent so use it (including one left foot pass pin point over 40m in the first quarter)

Freemans first quarter was definitely promising. More fitness and being able to do that for a full game would be good.

Leuenberger coming back on after that I jury. Looked nasty at first glance and I thought we'd lost any trading flexibility.

Andrews needs to trust his kicking more. Take te mark, get back off the mark quickly and then kick it. A few times early he went the quick hand pass to a pressured oponent but his kicking is excellent so use it (including one left foot pass pin point over 40m in the first quarter)

Freemans first quarter was definitely promising. More fitness and being able to do that for a full game would be good.

Leuenberger coming back on after that I jury. Looked nasty at first glance and I thought we'd lost any trading flexibility.

I thought he backed his kicking superbly today. His game was freaking awesome, and not just for someone his age, but for someone at an AFL level

In the second quarter he took his two best contested marks on the tv side on defensive 50 and hand passed both times to players standing still one to someone completely in trouble.

I said trust his kicking more.

Absolutely awesome game for an 18yo. His best for the season in what's been a good year.

If the powers that be were considering a Rising Star nomination for HarrisA, then today he played a game worthy of it.

And in the first 10 minutes I am thinking LiamD was looking at home at this level for the first time.

We need a great deal of structure and much, much more intensity, but we have groups of young players now who need the chance to develop. And develop well.

What I see of Robertson, Dawson, Andrews, McGrath, Taylor, Gardiner, Cutler, Beasley and Freeman is plenty of potential to be genuinely good footballers in the right team structure.

The next group: Clarke, Mayes, Paparone, Close is smaller because of GH5 but the four are, or can be, very solid footballers who might become much more over the next couple of years.

It looks like we will have two or three handy ones coming our way in the draft if we assume we will get a pick 1 -3 and Keays and Hipwood. Any others will be a nice bonus.

As well there are the young guys still in the twos or yet to play: Evans, Mcguiness, Hammelmann, Clayton, Watts and the younger Hanley. Perhaps one of those might make it. A bonus if more than one.

Those groups of players should give us plenty to work with but development is the key. As Leppa said - it depends how quickly the AFL want us to get better. Quality development with top line development coaches in decent facilities....

I couldnt watch the game live so had to stay up late last night to watch it. Never really visit this thread much but thought id come on to reiterate what everyone is saying. Harris Andrews is going to be a star. Dawson looked comfortable for the first time.
How much have we missed rockliffs inside 50s? Working his way back in nicely. Hanleys run and carry threw the middle gave me a little tingle of excitement. We are seeing why we should be a solid team but for only glimpses at a time. Stick in there lions fans as im taking more out of yesterday as a positive then not.

Oh and we kicked 50+

Promising young players I can see are Freeman, Clarke, Andrews, Dawson, Taylor, McGrath, Gardiner and maybe Robertson and McStay. But still we're looking terible at the moment. Hopefully we finish around 8-13 next year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back