The positives thread

Remove this Banner Ad

sure, there aren't many positives this season but while enjoying last night's (rare) win, I began thinking about our injury toll and reflecting on the state of our list, specifically our depth

I thought it was a healthy sign that the 15 players unavailable for selection this week would make a fair side in their own right...

Defenders:

Jordan Bourke

Justin Clarke

Darcy Gardiner

Claye Beams

Josh McGuinness

Midfield:

Matthew Leuenberger

Dayne Beams

Ryan Lester

James Aish

Cian Hanley

Fowards:

Josh Green

Nick Robertson

Jaden McGrath

Michael Close*

Jackson Paine*

so while we might be in wooden spoon territory (again), the positive is that at least we do have a deep pool of young talent in place and gaining experience :thumbsu:

...I don't think I could cope if we were still in this position with an ageing, top-heavy list

peace

from the review thread

Just wanna say how impressed I was with Johnno Freeman. That was twice the game as the 4 goal/pies effort. Could have had 2 more if our delivery was better. Imposing, leads well, strong hands & good finisher. Hugely influential inn how he straightened us up after his early efforts - the team changed when they knew they had a real target. Or so it seemed on the gigglebox - was it the same live?

Loved his work in close/below the knees, and the way he ran back later in the game to provide a link when we needed it.

Now I am cooling on Dixon, and dont see SChache as essential. Johnno in the square & Weitering/Andrews/Hipwood up the ground will do me nicely.

sure, there aren't many positives this season but while enjoying last night's (rare) win, I began thinking about our injury toll and reflecting on the state of our list, specifically our depth

I thought it was a healthy sign that the 15 players unavailable for selection this week would make a fair side in their own right...

Defenders:

Jordan Bourke

Justin Clarke

Darcy Gardiner

Claye Beams

Josh McGuinness

Midfield:

Matthew Leuenberger

Dayne Beams

Ryan Lester

James Aish

Cian Hanley

Fowards:

Josh Green

Nick Robertson

Jaden McGrath

Michael Close*

Jackson Paine*

so while we might be in wooden spoon territory (again), the positive is that at least we do have a deep pool of young talent in place and gaining experience :thumbsu:

...I don't think I could cope if we were still in this position with an ageing, top-heavy list

peace

why the asterisk?

I think that even though the win/loss dont reflect it I think we have improved slightly. I think we got beaten by a hundred points twice last year and none so far.

Defenders:

Jordan Bourke

Justin Clarke

Darcy Gardiner

Claye Beams

Josh McGuinness

Midfield:

Matthew Leuenberger

Dayne Beams

Ryan Lester

James Aish

Cian Hanley

Fowards:

Josh Green

Nick Robertson

Jaden McGrath

Michael Close*

Jackson Paine*

peace

Hey welcome back beatnik. A positive in itself.

So something I have started to notice and is pleasing....

The academy boys seem to be nice kicks. Dawson's field kicking has been good (didn't know he was a good kick), Andrews is a freak for such a tall bloke, and to have that sort of kicking is great (he's done some great weight kicking this season IMO), and Freeman seems likely on a set shot, bobbles during run up but so did the great JB so I'll wait and see. Add to that Rockliff whose short kicking into the 50 is pretty serviceable, Hanley who delivers both sides rather well, Rich who when on is a deadly boot, Beams both sides, C Beams has a good kick, Mayes, Zorko, Christensen, Taylor have moments, and who knows what Cutler & McStay could be etc etc....

All of a sudden I can't help but think that the kicking skills of the Lions could be on the rebound (pardon the pun) and if we did get someone like a Suckling who on his day is exceptional (not saying we should, just making a comment) you are looking at adding to the pool of decent kicks and 'potentially' decent kicks. Most importantly getting players who can deliver into the 50 will help develop our key prospects too.

Hey welcome back beatnik. A positive in itself.
Yep. Always good to hear from beatnik - don't be a stranger, mate!

lol tks guys, I read more than I write nowadays with bub number 2 on the rampage! :confused:

tough times for the club but bizarrely it's been an enjoyable season too...watching without any expectation of winning has meant I don't get as riled by poor umpiring or commentary...silver linings 'n all!

Not getting Schache at #1 this year will be fine - he'll come to Brisbane in 2 years. :thumbsu::D

Isn't that how it works now.

We'll have our own Trojan Horse at Carltank

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just want to say how awesome the members offer for the last 3 games has been ($10 tickets to Suns/Blues and $0 tickets to Dogs). In a poor season when it has been tough to get friends to come along to games, I have found requests for tickets at those prices have been very popular. I have 6 extras already for the Dogs games and when selecting seats the bays look quite full.

Excellent job by the club. Hopefully some of the people who come along return to support the club next year!

Hi All,
I thought I would create a Brisbane Lions Positive Thread - sick and tired of all the negative stuff.

I'll start with what I've just heard on AFL 360.

David King just on AFL 360 - was very optimistic of our situation.
Felt that :-
- we need to sign Leppa long-term
- we have some very good young players (mentioned Harris Andrews)
- our injury toll over the past 2 years has greatly impacted us on-field (average games missed 90, ours over 240)
- once Lambert comes on board that it would solve our retention issues
- we all need to tack a deep breathe and see how things pan out

Hi All,
I thought I would create a Brisbane Lions Positive Thread - sick and tired of all the negative stuff.

I'll start with what I've just heard on AFL 360.

David King just on AFL 360 - was very optimistic of our situation.
Felt that :-
- we need to sign Leppa long-term
- we have some very good young players (mentioned Harris Andrews)
- our injury toll over the past 2 years has greatly impacted us on-field (average games missed 90, ours over 240)
- once Lambert comes on board that it would solve our retention issues
- we all need to tack a deep breathe and see how things pan out

BULLSHIT

oops sorry didn't read thread title.

Expecting this thread to be bare and the vent thread for round 23 to overcome this within a minute

I agree that Leppa needs to be put on a long term contract, he's doing a good job with the cleanout but needs some job security as there may be some more pain in the short term.

Any oncoming academy players or father son selections beyond this year we can look forward, knowing the unlikeliness of a go home factor?

I agree that Leppa needs to be put on a long term contract, he's doing a good job with the cleanout but needs some job security as there may be some more pain in the short term.

This is his second season and we are about to receive the Wooden Spoon... I'm all for Leppa coaching, but he hasn't done enough this season to warrant a long-term contract.

It takes more than 12 months to turn a club around, look at Paul Roos at Melbourne, hasn't exactly set the world on fire after 2 years but they have a 3-5 year plan in place.

It takes more than 12 months to turn a club around, look at Paul Roos at Melbourne, hasn't exactly set the world on fire after 2 years but they have a 3-5 year plan in place.
He has been in the club for 2 years not 12 months, and the Demons have drastically improved in their 2nd year.

The problem l see is that the players still don't know the gameplan even after all this time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back