The positives thread

Remove this Banner Ad

For me it is about showing signs.

I have seen positives, just not as many as I'd of hoped for at the beginning of the year. Some players have come on nicley like Robbo, Andrews, Dawson and Freeman to an extent. McStay is a back and looks better there but can swing forward, Hanley, Rockliff and Beams have all fought on injured, McGuane is providing more forward than I ever would have thought, Stef is on fire (hopefully he stays), Zorko's second half of the season has been great, Christensen's second half of the year has been solid etc etc .... I think we are on the verge of having a nice team, it is just getting it all together at once which is a problem.

The major issue is injuries, we need to overcome that first so we know what we have on our hands.

I'm glad there's a cleanout on a few fronts. For the first time in a while, I'm excited to see what happens.
Im kinda with you on this one. Its not all doom and gloom. Just yet. If we thought the 2013 draft and trade period was monumental to our future we where wrong.

This draft and trade period gives us the opportunity to clear out players that arent 100% commited (reddo, aish, martin and mayes if rumours are true) for some not too bad draft picks.

Players like Motlop, carlilse and maybe even henderson are on the market plus others who we may be able to snare if we get some decent picks to then on trade.

Power to you Schwabby.

KIngy on Sen pumping us up saying we've had a shocking run with injury and that Leppa can't be judged on this years result. He said Redden, Leuy and Aish wont be massive losses to the club and thier is plenty to like about the list. Add the potential draftees look good.

This year 24 players have had a game good enough to rate a vote in the top five players in that game.
Very much with you guys on this.We can either listen to the gossip , or the commentary such as King's, attempts sensible analysis. When I hear the name Leuenberger, I can't help thinking Selwood !! Reddon was average....it looks crook when such an exodus occurs, but we will benefit. For example,an extra one or two of this year's brilliant group come within reach.I had neither in my starting 22 next year for what it's worth. I am more concerned about support facilities and personnel. These need urgent address and I agree we need to press the Board and Admin hard on this.Here's a squad of 22 that could play finals in 2 years,if not next.

Harwood Beasley Clarke

Gardiner Close Cutler

Hanley Beames McStay

Mayes Andrews Christenson

Schache Freeman Green

Martin Rockliffe Robinson

Zorko,Dawson,Rich,McGrath.

Paparone,Beames C ,Robinson in the mix.

Very much with you guys on this.We can either listen to the gossip , or the commentary such as King's, attempts sensible analysis. When I hear the name Leuenberger, I can't help thinking Selwood !! Reddon was average....it looks crook when such an exodus occurs, but we will benefit. For example,an extra one or two of this year's brilliant group come within reach.I had neither in my starting 22 next year for what it's worth. I am more concerned about support facilities and personnel. These need urgent address and I agree we need to press the Board and Admin hard on this.Here's a squad of 22 that could play finals in 2 years,if not next.

Harwood Beasley Clarke

Gardiner Close Cutler

Hanley Beames McStay

Mayes Andrews Christenson

Schache Freeman Green

Martin Rockliffe Robinson

Zorko,Dawson,Rich,McGrath.

Paparone,Beames C ,Robinson in the mix.
....apologies, Taylor in for Mcgrath !

Think I might stick to this thread as much as possible.... too much negativity elsewhere and it is really disconcerting.

Agree we have a team that looks on paper not too bad, the issue for me is speed and spread. I'm anticipating that we will spread like mofo's next year as we will have a touch more pace from stoppages, but I reckon one more player of that ilk will really help our team out massively.

I've championed this point on a couple of threads now.... really really hope it happens through trade and draft, ie one ready now one in two years.

I guess a positive/something to look forward to is that Martin, Bundy and Zorko are all in range of reaching the 100 games milestone next year. Don't quote me on this but I believe Martin is 6 games away, Bundy is 13 games away, and Zorko needs to play 19 to notch up the big 100.

Taylor looks super threatening around goals when he weaves in and around the players. Very accurate as well. Definitly has improved as the year has gone on.

People go on and on about how good the Bont is, but Squizzy has had an equally impressive second year. He has played in a bottom two team and performed at a high AFL standard.

With that said, both are guns.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think Mcstays season has mirrored Gunstons second season in many ways. 19 goals for the year is a solid effort in a team averaging 56 points a game. He kicked two today, but played IMO his best overall forward role. he clunked great marks, set up several goals, kicked two himself, and provided some fierce structure to our attack.

Can't wait to see how he goes next year. 30+ isn't out of the question depending on our teams development IMO. Also, he loves the Lions ;)

A couple of things I have noticed lately and not just in our win...
1. Get the ball into Dawson's hand, he is a nice field kick from what I can tell
2. Billy Evans hasn't done a lot so far, but there is something about him I just can't put my finger on. I'm a fan I think he'll develop quite nicely
3. Tom Cutler has really bulked up and has been getting quite physical

I think Mcstays season has mirrored Gunstons second season in many ways. 19 goals for the year is a solid effort in a team averaging 56 points a game. He kicked two today, but played IMO his best overall forward role. he clunked great marks, set up several goals, kicked two himself, and provided some fierce structure to our attack.

Can't wait to see how he goes next year. 30+ isn't out of the question depending on our teams development IMO. Also, he loves the Lions ;)

He came so close to clunking some really beneficial marks. More importantly, at the times we won the ball in the clinches we were confident to kick down the line to him. Give him another year or two and he marks those. Generally best to curb your enthusiasm with player's future but hard not to get excited about McStay's potential. At either end of the ground.

We may have had our shittest season this century, but:

1) We avoided the spoon
2) The scum and Port will be playing the same amount of finals as us this year

A couple of things I have noticed lately and not just in our win...
1. Get the ball into Dawson's hand, he is a nice field kick from what I can tell
2. Billy Evans hasn't done a lot so far, but there is something about him I just can't put my finger on. I'm a fan I think he'll develop quite nicely

Good post, I agree with all of this.

Dawson is a very solid field kick, and has a bigger build than I realised. I think he really likes the role in defence, which is handy.

I worry a little about Billy Evans's kicking, but otherwise he has a lot of nice attributes. He is kind of like a Lester type, except I think his hands are a bit better where Lester is a much more effective forward.

Cutler is one of my favourites. I think he's going to be a ripping player. He's got a really broad frame, and has a really impressive burst of pace. Other than the occasional brain freeze, he has a pretty penetrating kick too. He's exciting.

Good post, I agree with all of this.

Dawson is a very solid field kick, and has a bigger build than I realised. I think he really likes the role in defence, which is handy.

I worry a little about Billy Evans's kicking, but otherwise he has a lot of nice attributes. He is kind of like a Lester type, except I think his hands are a bit better where Lester is a much more effective forward.

Cutler is one of my favourites. I think he's going to be a ripping player. He's got a really broad frame, and has a really impressive burst of pace. Other than the occasional brain freeze, he has a pretty penetrating kick too. He's exciting.

Agreed. Messed some kicks up horribly, then did soke amazing point blank passes which set up plays which lead to goals. A truckload of upside.

I think he'll end up in the midfield at some point in the future. One particular bit of play in which he knocked a Bulldogs play who was over the ball off his feet and then won it himself really stood out yesterday for me.

I think he'll ed up in the midfield at some point in the future. One particular bit of play in which he knocked a Bulldogs play who was over the ball off his feet and then won it himself really stood out yesterday for me.
Starting to show some good mongrel and get a bit chirpy which is a good sign I think,means his confidence is growing.

Zorko for mine has been in alwost career best form these last few weeks. Really hard to contain and along with Hanley yesterday gave us some real zip.

Midfield is in good shape even if we lose Redden.
Zorko had been great, but I really prefer him running than kicking as his running is incredibly damaging. Agree with Hanley giving us zip too, even Cutler does it a bit.... add onto that Harwood who also has a good turn of pace at times. The more good kicks we get the better too, Hanley and Rich are good long kicks, but one more woild be awesome

Remove this Banner Ad

Back