The Positives Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

RW

Cancelled
10k Posts Sydney Forum Service Medal Sydney Swans - Jake Lloyd 2020 Player Sponsor BeanCoiNFT Investor Sydney Swans - Harry Cunningham 2019 Player Sponsor Ex-Moderator Sydney Swans - Gary Rohan Player Sponsor 2018 Sydney Swans - George Hewett Player Sponsor 2017 Sydney Swans - Callum Mills Player Sponsor 2016 Podcaster
Jan 11, 2003
AFL Club
Sydney

RW

Cancelled
10k Posts Sydney Forum Service Medal Sydney Swans - Jake Lloyd 2020 Player Sponsor BeanCoiNFT Investor Sydney Swans - Harry Cunningham 2019 Player Sponsor Ex-Moderator Sydney Swans - Gary Rohan Player Sponsor 2018 Sydney Swans - George Hewett Player Sponsor 2017 Sydney Swans - Callum Mills Player Sponsor 2016 Podcaster
Jan 11, 2003
AFL Club
Sydney
Best umpiring we've had for a game in Perth for a while. ;)

Serious positives:

Darling 5 marks and Kennedy 3 marks = the defenders did their job
Nankervis
Brandon Jack
Heeney getting through his first game back unscathed

Jun 16, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Heeney-What can we say...beast.will be the best player in the game.....soon

Jones-growing each week. Super aggressive and very good skills

Xr-beaten early but evened the contest as the game went on with darling. Good signs for improvement.

Nanka-decent skills for a big man and super aggressive which is what yiu want from a ruck.needs to build tank

disgruntled goat

Premiership Player
Aug 12, 2008
melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
There is a thread saying we won't play finals after 1 bad loss, despite we are a game clear in the 4. If that isn't a knee-jerk I obviously don't know what one is.

It unfortunately, doesn't read that way.

I never called anyone mentally ill?

I don't know, haven't checked that but we still have a lot of youth in our best 22 when you compare us to a Freo or Hawthorn. I think Richmond has the youngest 22 in the 8 iirc but we aren't in a bad position by any means.

The thread said "We MAY not make finals" ... like a lot of threads, it was put up for general discussion, it wasn't a hardline statement or prediction. In light of the weekend's results, it's still a topic worth discussing ... and had Richmond won, Sydney's situation would look even more perilous.

But I could just as easily dismiss your "knee-jerk reaction" as "head-in-the-sand" ignorance. It smacks of all thjose other Sydney fans who refuse to accept the reality of the competition right now. Not 2012, not last year's finals, not the first 6-8 weeks of this season. Things change during a season, momentum shifts, injuries take effect and all teams have to deal with current form, not preseason perceptions.

As I asked last week, where do people see our wins coming in the next month or so? We now face an Adelaide side who will be eyeing our spot in the eight; same the following week at Geelong. Then we have Collingwood, who still regard themselves as contenders and always play well in Sydney, and a derby against a Giants team approaching its own wet dream scenario of beating the Swans to a) pursue a finals spot, and b) possibly deny the Swans theirs.

Not once have I said we WON'T make finals, but I am prepared to consider and discuss the possibility.

Maybe you should wipe away your tears of indignation and offer something a bit more worthwhile than childish name-calling.

disgruntled goat

Premiership Player
Aug 12, 2008
melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Don't want to go searching for quotes and possibly singling people out (feel free to consider that conceding defeat if you like) but I've just read a bunch of posts saying this part of our game is crap, this part is s**t, we have nothing to offer in x, y and z instead of actually discussing possible solutions. Yes there is some of it but a lot of other stuff to sift through.

There is a difference between honest assessment and hanging s**t. All for the former as it usually comes hand in hand with the discussions of solutions.

Maybe I missed a bit with my few days away

There is a difference between "honest assessment" and blind loyalty to, and circle jerking over, a team that isn't playing well enough to deserve it.

Spot on, and calling peoples loyalty into question who are willing to look at it coldly is annoying

biggest indisputable positive

we support a club who for going on 21 season has been a realistic chance of playing finals football, has in many of those years been a genuine flag chance, has had some wonderful warriors play for it and giving us all a lot of joy to watch

We have been spoiled as fans and it has been fantastic

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Laidler has been a positive this year

He is a nice kick, wouldnt mind him pushing up the ground more, hits forwards on the chest
Like him as the lose Mal type from last year. Easily most improved player on the list

There is a difference between "honest assessment" and blind loyalty to, and circle jerking over, a team that isn't playing well enough to deserve it.

It is also a bit annoying when that 'honest assessment' fails to recognise that whilst we are playing crap right now, we are not crap.
Rounds 1-4 last year we looked like the same rabble we look like now and most of us we asking the same questions we are asking now.
Obviously something is not right, since half time against Richmond we have capitulated and that is the big worry, for me anyway. The players are either mentally shot, badly out of form (as a team) or something is horribly wrong at the club. I'm leaning towards badly out of form and have hope that the wheel will start to turn, but it's time for the leaders to step up on the field. We shouldn't be relying on Goodesy to lead the way.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
It is also a bit annoying when that 'honest assessment' fails to recognise that whilst we are playing crap right now, we are not crap.
Rounds 1-4 last year we looked like the same rabble we look like now and most of us we asking the same questions we are asking now.
Obviously something is not right, since half time against Richmond we have capitulated and that is the big worry, for me anyway. The players are either mentally shot, badly out of form (as a team) or something is horribly wrong at the club. I'm leaning towards badly out of form and have hope that the wheel will start to turn, but it's time for the leaders to step up on the field. We shouldn't be relying on Goodesy to lead the way.

Solution is to find out what the feck happened during the bye, we have barely looked like a football team since.

I have a feeling its a combination of injuries(zero depth) and generally being out of form as a whole.

Solution is to find out what the feck happened during the bye, we have barely looked like a football team since.

I have a feeling its a combination of injuries(zero depth) and generally being out of form as a whole.

We have completely lost all our run. IMO that is because the game plan sucks to high heaven. They have stopped running because the whole year we have been dreadfully slow at moving the ball. Why run when you know by the time someone kicks it your way there will be 2 or 3 opposition players ready and waiting. Hawks R8 we moved the ball with speed, got a good lead then for some bizarre reason tried to go back to that stupid backwards, sidewards game plan that is totally bloody useless. We were never a high possesion team and were successful now we have the leading possession winner and few others high up on the list and we can't even bloody score.
Not sure what Horse is trying to achieve, running was our game, sure its taxing but we were good at it. How the hell we won a flag with a forward line that consisted of Reid and bits and pieces and can't score with Buddy & Tippo and Goodesy and Reid all playing forward is beyond comprehension.

That negative gameplan has been in place all season but we looked ok in the first half of the season.

Fallen off the cliff since the bye tho.

Disagree. We looked OK when we were running and moving the ball quickly. We blew North and Tigers and Freo and Hawks off the park in one quarter with slick ball movement. Then started playing that other sh!t.

Disagree. We looked OK when we were running and moving the ball quickly. We blew North and Tigers and Freo and Hawks off the park in one quarter with slick ball movement. Then started playing that other sh!t.
I agree we are just collectively out of form. We can always find form again, hopefully at the right time of the year

RW

Cancelled
Jan 11, 2003
AFL Club
Sydney

Remove this Banner Ad

Back