The Power Tankings: Race for the #1 Pick.

Remove this Banner Ad

Because I don't think the talent or FO is there to be a contender.

People rubbished them when they made the Dwight trade. They're not laughing anymore.

Denver, LA and Philly all ended up with diddly squat from that deal. Orlando helped themselves to Afflalo (good player, great contract), Vucevic (ditto) & Mo Harkless, and they still have THREE first round picks coming to them starting this year.

If they had all this talent they should have won more games in a weak Eastern conference by now. Philly are going better than them and they cleared the decks at the start of the season.

They've been rebuilding for exactly one-and-a-half seasons. Part of the plan was to be legitimately bad this season because, you know, superdraft.

They've acquired several decent young pieces already - Vucevic, Harkless, Nicholson, Harris, Oladipo - but of them only Oladipo was taken in the top 10 of the Draft. They're almost guaranteed top 5 in this draft, plus Denver/NY's pick in addition.

By the time they have to extend their youngsters or go FA shopping, their remaining cap clogging contracts - Nelson, Big Baby, Maxiell - will have expired or departed.

There's no reason why they cannot be good. None.

People rubbished them when they made the Dwight trade. They're not laughing anymore.

Denver, LA and Philly all ended up with diddly squat from that deal. Orlando helped themselves to Afflalo (good player, great contract), Vucevic (ditto) & Mo Harkless, and they still have THREE first round picks coming to them starting this year.

Afflao and Harkless aren't taking them anywhere. Vucevic I like. Until the picks are taken or traded they don't mean much.

They've been rebuilding for exactly one-and-a-half seasons. Part of the plan was to be legitimately bad this season because, you know, superdraft.

The team they have now should be winning more games. They haven't showed anything that they will be decent in a few seasons.

Philly looks a better side going forward.

They've acquired several decent young pieces already - Vucevic, Harkless, Nicholson, Harris, Oladipo - but of them only Oladipo was taken in the top 10 of the Draft. They're almost guaranteed top 5 in this draft, plus Denver/NY's pick in addition.

Not sold on Harkless, Harris or Nicholson as players who'll make a team great.

Oladipo could be outstanding or he could end up Tyreke Evans mk2.

Vucevic is the only lock so far to be a really good NBA player for mine.

By the time they have to extend their youngsters or go FA shopping, their remaining cap clogging contracts - Nelson, Big Baby, Maxiell - will have expired or departed.

There's no reason why they cannot be good. None.

I like them at SG and C, not that convinced at any other position going forward(yet).

Afflao and Harkless aren't taking them anywhere. Vucevic I like. Until the picks are taken or traded they don't mean much.

Afflalo was not supposed to take them anywhere - he was a strategic asset to be acquired, and a smart one at that. There's about 25 other teams in the league who would take Afflalo off Orlando's hands tomorrow. He's also young enough, valuable enough and cheap enough to become a key plank in their rebuild, should the Magic wish it.

Mo Harkless is 20 years old, and was just one of (in effect) four first round picks received in the Dwight deal.

The team they have now should be winning more games. They haven't showed anything that they will be decent in a few seasons.

Philly looks a better side going forward.

They're playing possum.

Not sold on Harkless, Harris or Nicholson as players who'll make a team great.

Oladipo could be outstanding or he could end up Tyreke Evans mk2.

Vucevic is the only lock so far to be a really good NBA player for mine.

Context is needed here.

Harkless was pick 15, Nicholson pick 19. Harris was a swindle from Milwaukee - they're viable, young rotation players.

Oladipo's ceiling is yet to be determined, I agree. Ask Cleveland, Washington or Charlotte fans though whether they'd rather have Oladipo or Bennett, Porter or Zeller ... I suspect they'd all happily switch places with Orlando.

And yes, Philly nailed the 2013 Draft.

I like them at SG and C, not that convinced at any other position going forward(yet).

And this is why it was always crucial that they remain BAD this season - this year's draftee will likely be nominally tagged as the centre-piece of Orlando's rebuild.

PHX & BoshtrichBurger will be better clued in than I, however.

Why wouldn't you aim to win games? Philly is definitely trying to win games and they've stripped their roster barer than Orlando's.

The Magic can only be losing so many games in a woeful East because they aren't much good.

I'd rather Philly's roster going forward than the Magics. They are 3 games ahead of Orlando with a thread bare squad.

When we don't have Vuc, mark down the L. We're 0-14 in games that Vucevic has a DNP or got injured during the game and couldn't finish by my count. We're therefore 10-15 when we have Vuc, which is acceptable for the young squad we have.

When you have Maxiell and O'Quinn as backups in your depth chart you're going to struggle with no interior presence when you have Big Baby or Tobias as your PFs and sometimes C. Young squads susceptible to making errors on defense require that safety net of a presence in the paint. Even if they aren't great defenders they make the player think twice.

I'm confident in saying if Philly lost Hawes for 10 games we'd see the a similar run of Ls come up.

I'm not sure our roster is better than Philly going forward either and I'm one not high on Harkless either becoming a dependable player on a good team but to say Orlando just "aren't much good" and ignore the potential we have on the roster is ignorant. And to say Philly has stripped their roster threadbare when they still have quality players in Hawes, Young and Turner in the lineup isn't accurate in my opinion. The quality of the rosters is comparable.

When we don't have Vuc, mark down the L. We're 0-14 in games that Vucevic has a DNP or got injured during the game and couldn't finish by my count. We're therefore 10-15 when we have Vuc, which is acceptable for the young squad we have.

I like him, he's a genuine top line player in the making.

When you have Maxiell and O'Quinn as backups in your depth chart you're going to struggle with no interior presence when you have Big Baby or Tobias as your other starting big. Young squads susceptible to making errors on defense require that safety net of a presence in the paint. Even if they aren't great defenders they make the player think twice.

Nicholson is efficient enough in that mix. My concern for Orlando is in the PF, SF and PG positions and where they project Olodipo to play.

I really hope they decide to just let him play as a SG and go out and get a PG that is efficient with the ball. Something like Indiana have done with Hill.

If I'm drafting for Orlando this year I'd probably be taking Julius Randle to go along side Vucevic and have Harris coming off the bench. BBD to be traded.

I'm confident in saying if Philly lost Hawes for 10 games we'd see the a similar run of Ls come up.

Whats coming off Orlando's bench though is far better than what's coming off Phillys is my concern for Orlando. Orlando's bench isn't the worst bench in the league.

I'm not sure our roster is better than Philly going forward either and I'm one not high on Harkless either becoming a dependable player on a good team but to say Orlando just "aren't much good" and ignore the potential we have on the roster is ignorant. And to say Philly has stripped their roster threadbare when they still have quality players in Hawes, Young and Turner in the lineup isn't accurate in my opinion. The quality of the rosters is comparable.

It's not ignorant, it's simply looking further down the road and making a call on how young players will turn out. I'm not as high as others are I guess when assessing the Magic's players at this stage.

I just hope they don't turn Oladipo into Tyreke Evans mk2 by continuously switching him between the 1 and 2 spot. Let hime become a Dwayne Wade like player.

Nicholson is efficient enough in that mix. My concern for Orlando is in the PF, SF and PG positions and where they project Olodipo to play.

I really hope they decide to just let him play as a SG and go out and get a PG that is efficient with the ball. Something like Indiana have done with Hill.
I'm confident that'll happen. I would think when it comes time Afflalo will be very good bait to get that player but for now he's a prime role model for all the kids on the roster of how to train and how to carry yourself.

If I'm drafting for Orlando this year I'd probably be taking Julius Randle to go along side Vucevic and have Harris coming off the bench. BBD to be traded.

Agreed. Only thing I'd say is Harris could easily be a starting SF.

Whats coming off Orlando's bench though is far better than what's coming off Phillys is my concern for Orlando. Orlando's bench isn't the worst bench in the league.

O'Quinn, Moore, Price, Nicholson and Lamb were our bench players today, and you can add Oladipo to that with Afflalo back soon. It ain't Philly bad but I wouldn't go as far to say its far better.

It's not ignorant, it's simply looking further down the road and making a call on how young players will turn out. I'm not as high as others are I guess when assessing the Magic's players at this stage.

I just hope they don't turn Oladipo into Tyreke Evans mk2 by continuously switching him between the 1 and 2 spot. Let hime become a Dwayne Wade like player.
Perhaps ignorant wasn't the right word but "not much good" just bugged me. I already look at how the team is building and we aren't falling into the eternal crapfest of the East longterm but teams exist to have a punt at a Championship and at this stage the pieces (including the inevitable draft pick coming) still doesn't spell anything more than a lower playoff seed to me.

But considering the job he's done already I trust Hennigan that he has some more moves to make with the aim of being a contender instead of a playoff also-ran a few years down the road.

Lillard went 6, Drummond 10.

Obviously there are going to be good players taken after pick 5, I was saying that most franchise players (which I would define as top 15 in the league at any given time) are taken very early in the draft.

At the moment it doesnt matter anyway as the suns are projected to not have any picks in the lottery. The odds of striking gold from pick 16+ are astronomical

Obviously there are going to be good players taken after pick 5, I was saying that most franchise players (which I would define as top 15 in the league at any given time) are taken very early in the draft.

At the moment it doesnt matter anyway as the suns are projected to not have any picks in the lottery. The odds of striking gold from pick 16+ are astronomical

I think Bill Simmons was discussing with Jalen about how he believes that there will be a lot of gold outside the lottery due to the fact that it's an unusually good and set in stone top 5-6. So you could assume that 7-16 is almost like the top 10 of the previous year. Maybe the best bet is to use your latter picks to try and trade into this region and maybe you get 2 top 15 picks which will may lead to two quality nba players.

I think Bill Simmons was discussing with Jalen about how he believes that there will be a lot of gold outside the lottery due to the fact that it's an unusually good and set in stone top 5-6. So you could assume that 7-16 is almost like the top 10 of the previous year. Maybe the best bet is to use your latter picks to try and trade into this region and maybe you get 2 top 15 picks which will may lead to two quality nba players.

Exactly i mean look at this list of guys that if they declare are a chance to go outside of the lottery.
Aaron Gordon (could go as high as 7-8 too)
Noah Vonleh
Willie Cauley-Stein
Kyle Anderson
Dario Saric
Montrezl Harrel
Shabazz Napier
CJ Fair
Isaih Austin
Marcus Lee
Wayne Selden
Aaron Harrison
Andrew Harrison

I'm not saying they are all going to be elite but there is some serious talent there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Orlando beat Boston today - I guess that means that the Celtics' rebuild is doomed to mediocrity now too.

If they can't beat you guys... they'll never be any good ;)

We've got one thing they don't have, a GM who knows how to put a championship winning team together ;)

According to a Rockets fan, the first step should involve sending Rondo to Houston for some Lin-sanity and a disgruntled Turk.

Well as a fan said it, It was never worth repeating in the first place.

dont forget the first rounder..... lol

Absolutely no idea

The Celts should feel honoured to receive such a bountiful proposal.

If they don't take the deal, Houston will say "tough luck" and send the same package to Portland for Aldridge instead #BOOM

The Celts should feel honoured to receive such a bountiful proposal.

If they don't take the deal, Houston will say "tough luck" and send the same package to Portland for Aldridge instead #BOOM

how the rockets gm(and possibly mead) expects his interactions to go:

"oh thank you, thank you , oh glorious one for engaging in a trade with us, please let us have the worst of your assets because they are so muc better than ours"

(note: the same thing that kim jong un expects, Where's Dennis Rodman? AWKWARD TERRIBLE BORTHDAY SONG FOR EVERYONE!)

all hail glorious leader morey

Before i make comment here, let me clarify this by saying how unlikely this is of actually happening.

Joel Embiid
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...l-embiid-not-sure-hes-ready-for-nba-lifestyle

Jabari Parker
http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports....ri-parker-will-remain-at-duke-another-season/

Then theres Exum who we all think is going pro but still undecided and could be ehaded to College.

Add those three guys to Jahlil Okafor and then the tank rank continues on in ernest for another year with possibly even better prizes inside the top 5.

My mock top 10, using current W/L ratio as order.
1 - Bucks: Joel Embiid
2 - Magic: Andrew Wiggins
3 - Philly: Jabari Parker
4 - Utah: Dante Exum
5 - Kings: Julius Randle
6 - Boston: Marcus Smart
7 - Denver (by NY): Aaron Gordon
8 - Cleveland: Rodney Hood
9 - Lakers: Noel Vonleh
10 - Philly (by NO): Zach LaVine

Remove this Banner Ad

Back