Opinion The President

Remove this Banner Ad

Firstly, I'll always have a lot of time for Kernahan the man, but not so much for Kernahan the President.

Today's performance again called out as a time for a new head.
If for nothing esle, Kernahan has accepted responsibility for giving Ratten a 2 year contract and for now sacking him.

Kernahan now must fall on his sword to make sense of this whole situation. Question is will he do it off his own accord?

As I have said before Sticks should be replaced by a good marketer - Ahmed Fahour. Sticks was only there as Dick's mouthpiece and now should be gone. We need more and bigger sponsors.

What I gleaned from the presser is that Sticks did want to give Ratten 2013 to see what happens... but a discussion with all involved it was decided a change was needed and Sticks had to take his "mate" hat off and weigh up what everyone else thought.

In the end Sticks loves the club as much as Ratts does... and let's just hope there is a little more to all this than meets the eye.

Sticks also said as soon as someone else puts their hand up he is happy to step aside, and that he will only be there for a year or two more anyway.

He needs to go, but he knows that, and I think that will happen in good time.

Personally i think its well overdue...i'm embarrassed at the way this club has treated and handled this situation, But iis other stuff too...... we haven't grown enough (membership etc), wiped enough dept (still 6 mill, now were tipping out the coaches box and paying money out to all???) or made the correct decisions off field (a 2 year deal for a coach thats terminated less than a year on?).....Its time for some legitimate business people to step in and run this club.....No more former players and mates....the best for the jobs.

strategy-102-firingClients-pop_478.jpg

I'm glad he doesn't act like a puppet to the press. I'm glad they made the decision on Ratten in their own time. If they ask questions he doesn't want to answer then he doesn't answer them. Good, it's the same old questions every bloody time. If he doesn't want the press to eat one of our own alive then he wont let them talk to him and corner him. He hasn't let the press influence their decision or force them to make a decision.

Sticks job is to over see the departments that make up the footy club, not run those departments. His job is to hire and fire people to run them. When a department fails like the football department has then he has to do something, and that means hiring new people. He's done that. You can bet if Marketing or accounting is going poorly then those in charge will be made accountable and dealt with too. For Memory Andy McKay is the head of the football department, I would think his role in all this is fairly big and also fairly vital for our future as well.

If we need better marketers, bigger sponsors or the place to be better run then it's up to sticks to bring in the people to do this, not run it himself, that is not the president's role.

IMO Sticks has shown a fair bit of balls in a tough time when tough decisions needed to be made and the media were breathing down their knecks.

Good on ya sticks for standing up to our poor performances and doing something, standing up to the media, making the tough decisions and doing what ever you can to give the team the best of the best over your time there.

No doubting that Sticks loves the club but no more than Ratten still does.

I just can't see closure to us sacking Ratten without Kernahan now stepping down.
We call for accountability, so where would that be should Kernahan stay on or even being asked to stay on.
I'd suggest that his key indicators are also down for the year and he should suffer the same fate as Ratten.

One poor remark (the Cloke one) and one terrible attempt at deflecting a lie (the Malthouse one) didn't look too great for him either.
Are we to hide away our President from any further media involvements?

We'll always have time for you Sticks, but you must now do the right thing. Do it soon and don't be reluctant in doing so.

Sometimes you just have to lie... lets not forget Malthouse is still contracted to Channel 7 and under certain conditions from his Collingwood contract... also respect for an outgoing coach and not make it the fiasco that happened at Freo last year with Harvey (a coach they liked but he was second best)... today Sticks tried to make it about Ratten and how much good he did... the media of-course had to go Malthouse, Cloke etc..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What I gleaned from the presser is that Sticks did want to give Ratten 2013 to see what happens... but a discussion with all involved it was decided a change was needed and Sticks had to take his "mate" hat off and weigh up what everyone else thought.

In the end Sticks loves the club as much as Ratts does... and let's just hope there is a little more to all this than meets the eye.
I feel Sticks was simply outvoted.

If I wasn't convinced before this morning, I most definitely am now. Sticks has to go. A man from a previous era of footy who is completely out of touch with running a football club now. I loved the man as a player, but he is nowhere near equipped to preside over my football club on any level. I never doubt his love for the club, but his "capabilities" on display this week are sadly lacking. We will be left (further) behind if this man continues beyond this year.

We do have a board of directors, Sticks doesn't make the calls alone. He would not have been the only one who wanted Ratts out, I actually think he may have been out voted on this one, but as the pres he is the voice of the board.

Don't shoot the messenger.

Also not sure how people wanted Sticks to handle this. Ignore the obvious problems and the horrible performances of the team and stick with Ratten for 2013 and pass up on the opportunity to take on a proven coach with bucket loads of experience in the game? Make a quick decision as soon as the media got on our backs about this and leave us coachless for the last few games without looking into our options first? Lie to the media and tell them that Ratts is going to be there for next year to get them off our backs then sack him? I really can't see a better way that this could have been done.

Also not sure how people wanted Sticks to handle this. Ignore the obvious problems and the horrible performances of the team and stick with Ratten for 2013 and pass up on the opportunity to take on a proven coach with bucket loads of experience in the game? Make a quick decision as soon as the media got on our backs about this and leave us coachless for the last few games without looking into our options first? Lie to the media and tell them that Ratts is going to be there for next year to get them off our backs then sack him? I really can't see a better way that this could have been done.

A very emotional day ... because I find myself agreeing with gbatman. We're in unchartered waters.

I thought Sticks' position was untenable last night. The press conference was far better and far more honest than I expected. Sticks was very respectful of Ratten and quite honest as to how close the decision was. He can not be an authoritative president as the board will simply oust him. He has to be the mouthpiece for the board which in turn is reported to by a sub-committee (anybody know who is on this?).

Sticks lied about the review after the season as the decision was obviously made months ago and only revisited on the off chance we made finals. The question is, did he have to lie? Probably so if I were to be honest.

I saw a lot of passion in Sticks today. I don't want to lose that passion for someone who is purely business. We lose too much passion out of the game these days.

So Father's Day is Ratts last game? We will see his kids out on the ground, we will see players rally around him. I was going to go out for Father's Day, maybe a trip up to see my Dad, but I will be staying home to watch this instead. I wish I could get to Melbourne but that isn't possible. My last Ratts game will forever be that terrible loss to the Gold Coast. Queensland has brought about the demise of our last two coaches. I feel jinxed. I almost never went on Saturday night too, wish I had have stayed away.

I was always under the impression that the role President largely involved promoting the club and representing the board, hence an ex footballer like Sticks is suitable rather than a businessman. Does anyone with more knowledge of the inner workings at CFC know how influential Sticks is in business decisions?

At the end of the day we have made a 600k blunder, our membership is below where we want it and the board is leakier than a black and gold tampon. We all love Sticks but we're lacking in professional presence and it seems time for a change.

Loved Kernahan as a player, but as a President he has been found wanting on too many ocassions.
Time for him to step down and get someone with a more business nous and who is more media savvy.

I cringed when he did that interview on Monday.
It was like he was flying by the seat of his pants.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back