Player Watch #5 Isaac Heeney

Remove this Banner Ad

capi_20204fe48fe689ed7f64257f118480f7_5448b88f13b55c5d56f99426e47adf40.jpeg

Isaac Heeney

Isaac Heeney is a crowd favourite and one of the best young players in the competition. The QBE Sydney Swans Academy graduate won the 2018 AFL Mark of the Year award, was selected in the AFL Players’ Association’s 22Under22 team in two of his eligible four years and played his 100th senior game in 2019. Heeney can be used in the midfield, forward line – where he booted four goals in star teammate Lance Franklin’s absence in Round 20 last year – or as a loose man in defence.

Isaac Heeney
DOB: 05 May 1996
DEBUT: 2015
DRAFT: #18, 2014 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Cardiff (NSW)

ah, the dark, misty time of 2011

Lol, it's not long, but plenty come through the door in-between.

Tom Mitchell
Jordan Lockyer
Alex Brown
Shane Biggs
Harry Cunningham
Jack Lynch
Dean Towers
Harrison Marsh
Tim Membrey
Matthew Dick
Jake Lloyd
Xavier Richards
Dane Rampe
Daniel Robinson
Brandon Jack
Sam Naismith
Zak Jones
George Hewett
Toby Nankervis
Aliir Aliir
Patrick Mitchell
Lloyd Perris

Lol, it's not long, but plenty come through the door in-between.

Tom Mitchell
Jordan Lockyer
Alex Brown
Shane Biggs
Harry Cunningham
Jack Lynch
Dean Towers
Harrison Marsh
Tim Membrey
Matthew Dick
Jake Lloyd
Xavier Richards
Dane Rampe
Daniel Robinson
Brandon Jack
Sam Naismith
Zak Jones
George Hewett
Toby Nankervis
Aliir Aliir
Patrick Mitchell
Lloyd Perris

Needs more Alex Starling.

Lol, last i heard he was down Frankston way. But yes i did miss that Jeebus Lover.
He quit and went back to basketball. Playing for Warrnambool

I laugh every time i here heeney talk about the academy. Its so scripted,every time he mentions he wouldnt be playing footy without it. Just the clubs way of letting the afl now how important it is

There is no doubt the Swans have coached Heeney in what to say with that question but I also think it is true. Not a lot of people from Newcastle in the AFL.

I have not been this excited by a blond headed midfielder since Jude started.

This was almost directly in front of where I was sitting, and all I could think of was OUCH!

Glad to see him get back up, also glad to see him subbed afterwards rather than staying on the ground (no point cruelling him just to show he's tough)

isaac-heeney_1wvko7ur5leyfzxg88ahoa339.jpg

Hope he give fat Ed a cardiac infarction :)

This was almost directly in front of where I was sitting, and all I could think of was OUCH!

Glad to see him get back up, also glad to see him subbed afterwards rather than staying on the ground (no point cruelling him just to show he's tough)

how did he walk away?

That you in the clash guernsey

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i think he's lucky he had a leg each side ( that's what she said hiyo!!). I'm no biometrics expert, but..he's also young, I guess he can consider himself a luck boy.

What a success story this guy has been. They were talking about him on Back Page Live last night and apparently he was a freak athlete in several sports. They also said you'll see kids wearing the Swans no.5 guernsey around Newcastle in a few years time, which has never happened in the past. It really shows the benefits of the northern academies and he even said himself that he would have played rugby league if the academy didn't exist. Some say the talent pool is thinning in the AFL but what's the best way to fix that problem? Increase participation of course. There are more people living in QLD and NSW than there are living outside of those two states so you could potentially double the talent pool. There is no way the AFL will double participation numbers but even a 10% increase overall thanks to the two northern states could make a huge difference.

So what about this Callum Mills guy? Is he the next Isaac Heeney? I think he's from the northern beaches of Sydney so he could sell the game to the locals like the Jack brothers. I never thought I'd say this but it may get to the point in 10 years time that New South Wales will have a team strong enough to compete in an Aussie rules State of Origin competition with the traditional heavyweights. As long as GWS and the Swans continue to nurture their talent, a NSW state team will be considerably than it ever has been in the past.

What a success story this guy has been. They were talking about him on Back Page Live last night and apparently he was a freak athlete in several sports. They also said you'll see kids wearing the Swans no.5 guernsey around Newcastle in a few years time, which has never happened in the past. It really shows the benefits of the northern academies and he even said himself that he would have played rugby league if the academy didn't exist. Some say the talent pool is thinning in the AFL but what's the best way to fix that problem? Increase participation of course. There are more people living in QLD and NSW than there are living outside of those two states so you could potentially double the talent pool. There is no way the AFL will double participation numbers but even a 10% increase overall thanks to the two northern states could make a huge difference.

So what about this Callum Mills guy? Is he the next Isaac Heeney? I think he's from the northern beaches of Sydney so he could sell the game to the locals like the Jack brothers. I never thought I'd say this but it may get to the point in 10 years time that New South Wales will have a team strong enough to compete in an Aussie rules State of Origin competition with the traditional heavyweights. As long as GWS and the Swans continue to nurture their talent, a NSW state team will be considerably than it ever has been in the past.

Some people claim that Mills is a better prospect than Heeney. They claim say that he is a better pure extractor of the ball and is better by foot. It's acknowleged that Heeney is stronger overhead.

Some people claim that Mills is a better prospect than Heeney. They claim say that he is a better pure extractor of the ball and is better by foot. It's acknowleged that Heeney is stronger overhead.
The first half of Mills' highlight tape is a clanger reel, but he takes a couple of very strong marks. He apparently is a massive accumulator.

There is no doubt Heeney would be playing another sport if not for the academy

Throughout the entire debate Adam has always held himself back from getting involved, despite his growing frustration.

He unequivocally believes Isaac wouldn't be playing Australian football without the Swans' academy.

Instead he's certain his son would have been lured by rugby league, union, soccer or cricket, "because that's what is here in Newcastle".

"Isaac's a little bit different, everything he touched he did really well at," Adam said.

"In his soccer he scored 68 goals in 12 games, when they were really young. But then he picked up a cricket bat and played an age above himself in division one up here in Newcastle and his batting average was 216.

"He also played rugby league for the school in a couple of carnivals and they went to Sydney and won some tournament down there with the school and he scored five tries in the final.

"When I say he wouldn't be playing Aussie rules if it wasn't for the academy, he might have been playing another sport."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-02-16/he-just-wants-to-play

The first half of Mills' highlight tape is a clanger reel, but he takes a couple of very strong marks. He apparently is a massive accumulator.
Massive accumulator with poor foot skills. I'm sure we'll know how to utilise such a player.

Massive accumulator with poor foot skills. I'm sure we'll know how to utilise such a player.
Can go one of 2 ways - paid $400k in the reserves, or anointed a future captain. He can take a strong mark, so he is more like the latter.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back