Player Watch #5 Isaac Heeney

Remove this Banner Ad

capi_20204fe48fe689ed7f64257f118480f7_5448b88f13b55c5d56f99426e47adf40.jpeg

Isaac Heeney

Isaac Heeney is a crowd favourite and one of the best young players in the competition. The QBE Sydney Swans Academy graduate won the 2018 AFL Mark of the Year award, was selected in the AFL Players’ Association’s 22Under22 team in two of his eligible four years and played his 100th senior game in 2019. Heeney can be used in the midfield, forward line – where he booted four goals in star teammate Lance Franklin’s absence in Round 20 last year – or as a loose man in defence.

Isaac Heeney
DOB: 05 May 1996
DEBUT: 2015
DRAFT: #18, 2014 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Cardiff (NSW)

Haven't seen a Heeney Fluff piece for over a week... Is he still killing it in the pre-season? Have any of you guys been down to watch him?

It's January...

Hear the media whine when he isn't selected for round 1.

What if Mitchell is dropped for Heeney a few rounds in ? They won't know what to write.

January = Pre-season...your point being?

There isn't really that much to report, there was a piece up on the Swans website only a week or so ago.

Last edited:
Here's a fluff piece for you Bedders....

Heeney is having a red hot preseason. All the experienced guys are passing on their wisdom. Training is tough but it helps knowing your mates are going through the same thing. Spots will be up for grabs this year and he hopes he'll get his chance. If so, he'll grab it with both hands. The players and all the club people have been very supportive. He lives in a house with other players and they get on well. One of them can cook. He felt overawed surrounded by players like Goodes and Franklin, who were his heroes as a kid. "They're just so down to earth and always willing to help me improve my game" said Heeney. I'm really looking forward to giving my best in the reserves and I'll just keep working towards getting a break in the seniors. Horse is happy with how I'm going and it's just great to be here.

When asked if he's been doing much work with Gary Rohan he replied "F..k off, I don't talk to Gingers"

I'm Tanya Poalucciano, reporting for SWANS TV (giggles)

Came in asking about a players early progress...it is not really that much of a big deal??? A bit tense in here or something. I was keen to here from anyone who had been down to see him train. Anyway... no biggie. Was just curious
We have a regular attendee at training by the name of punts, look at his posts or go to the Swans website

(Log in to remove this ad.)

and yet our midfield was destroyed in the 2014 Grand Final.
Glass half full? No... half empty? Ahhh... no.... Your glass is as dry as the sahara mate. I recommend you get your hands on a liquid ASAP and fix the problem.

I'd recommend beer or a good red. Up to you though of course.

The future is bright, don't let the 2014 GF fool you. We follow an amazing group of young lads that are going to bring us much joy over the next decade if we manage them correctly...

Glass half full? No... half empty? Ahhh... no.... Your glass is as dry as the sahara mate. I recommend you get your hands on a liquid ASAP and fix the problem.

I'd recommend beer or a good red. Up to you though of course.

The future is bright, don't let the 2014 GF fool you. We follow an amazing group of young lads that are going to bring us much joy over the next decade if we manage them correctly...

Our future is really good, I agree there. I just worry that we overrate our midfield a lot on this board as it is largely the same midfield that looked like they could not be bothered on the most important game of the year last year. Our midfield was so poor that the defenders did not stand a chance and our midfield game so little supply to our forward line it was a miracle that Buddy had such a good game and not remotely surprising that Tippett had a poor one given the service he was getting.

I worry sometimes our midfield believes the hype that a lot of fans and the media say about it.

This "superstar midfield" got beaten comprehensively in the clearances and contested possessions by LWS today

They really did. I noticed those stats as well. We lost the clearances something like 37 to 30 which means our clearances were around 19% lower than theirs. That is a huge gap especially against a midfield that is not yet fully mature.

In another way of saying it it means we won just 44% of the clearances.

They really did. I noticed those stats as well. We lost the clearances something like 37 to 30 which means our clearances were around 19% lower than theirs. That is a huge gap especially against a midfield that is not yet fully mature.

In another way of saying it it means we won just 44% of the clearances.

Not surprising with Mumford and now Griffen.

Choo choo, all aboard!!

All this talk about how we fit him in our midfield, screw that, chuck him in the forward line and watch him go :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back