Analysis The Question that has to be Asked: Can We Win The Flag?

Apr 22, 2009
In My House :)
AFL Club
Richmond
BwRqXtZCMAAz4vZ.jpg

GH213

Club Legend
Sep 11, 2013
Gippsland
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond VFL
It all comes down to the boys recovery and training this week. They will be sore as anything.

We are a great chance to knock port over. But how much left in the tank to beat freo or Sydney again?

We play subi really well so hopefully Sydney win and we get freo who will be sore from that encounter and back from coast to coast travel.

We match up well to freo so if still in form we could very well knock them off too.

Then the cats or hawks.

We came close to the cats earlier in the year while horribly out of form and different personel ... In with a chance if its wet.

Hawks we also match up on well and have proved to be able to beat them at their own game in the past, despite this years belting we copped (also while out of form).

Looking at it, it is entirely possible, BUT, how much do they boys have left? How well do we recover? How well will we handle 3 weeks of travel?

I just hope they keep the process the same and recovery optimal and we are in with every chance.

Jan 15, 2006
Oz
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Orlando Magic, Baltimore Ravens
Can we win? I'll leave that to Pasquali but . . .

Travelling to Port and winning and then following it up with a possible 6 day break trip to Perth or Sydney would be brutal.

Get to the prelim and we can finally return to Melbourne and from there anything is possible but these first 2 weeks (making it 3 weeks straight on the road) would be crazy.

Cotcho

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 4, 2012
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool
Absolutely we can!! It's extremely unlikely but of course. We can match it with every club in the league so therefore it's possible. We have a decent enough break this week. It's only an hour flight to Sydney so there should be no excuses there. It was a heavy track but with a decent break, whos to say it hasn't made us fitter!! :D

Rumballs

Club Legend
Mar 12, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool, The Mighty Cherries
Except for Cats and Roos we match up well against the top teams.
But no, we won't.
Too many away games against elite opposition means that we eventually fall over.
But I really want to beat Port!

Darth_Tiger

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 15, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Anaheim Ducks
Crazy to say but I really think we are a better chance this year from eighth than we were last year from fifth. Really need to deal with the travel well. If we make the prelim anything is possible.

Neen

????????????
Jul 1, 2011
Thomastown
AFL Club
Richmond
We just beat the ladder leaders at their home ground with their extra three players. Anything is possible. I have confidence we will beat Port, as the will find recovery difficult after the hard game in Perth. We also have a defender that cannot be beaten in Rance. So Shultz won't be kicking 6 goals. We match up well on Port, and we are the "in form" team in the comp at the moment.

The problem we face if we overcome Port is we will most likely be heading across to WA. Very hard to win over there and if we did, we would have to travel back and face Sydney, Hawks or Cats. We are not good enough (yet) to match it with the top 3 sides. We have a good history against the Hawks and Swans, but we won't go all the way. I really do think we will win our first final (next week), but then next year will be our year to challenge the top 4.

Nov 26, 2007
Queensland
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Hull City
I think the unique thing about our situation, is that even though we're 8th, we're actually the form team of the competition.

In a normal season, 8th is generally cannon fodder, due to the fact that they have just scraped into the finals, and although we too have just scraped in, we've scraped in on the back of the best current active winning streak in the competition.

Now, that's not to say I think we're a monty to win against Port, because they are a great young team on the rise like us, however we're playing the sorta footy that holds up under finals-like pressure, and we're also in terrific form, which isn't usually what you say about the 8th placed team going into the finals.

It is incredibly unlikely that we will go much further than Week 2 imho, however we can only play it one week at a time, and take each game on its' merits. If we can keep the roll going, you never know what could happen, but I honestly feel that anything from now on is a bonus for us.

The players obviously won't view it like that, they will be desperate to win, however in reality we were never meant to be in this position to begin with, so let's just enjoy it, and know that in 2015 we will start to become a real force.

1980GFVideo

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 21, 2004
Heidelberg
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
I think we will get the 'come back to earth' final. Big Margin to ensure we dont go into the pre season thinking we are better than what we are.

Just hope that its not next week but the week after against Sydney or Fremantle.

The Rusty Trombone

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 1, 2007
K Mart Car Park
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
World Donkey Punch Championships
I think we will get the 'come back to earth' final. Big Margin to ensure we dont go into the pre season thinking we are better than what we are.

Just hope that its not next week but the week after against Sydney or Fremantle.
There's no way we are not going to go into the pre season thinking we are better than we are, after round 3 we were a better team than the previous year, now we must be the best team to have ever pulled on the jumper. We'll smash port if we keep up this sort of confidence

Back