The race for the top 4

If Hawthorn get thrashed By Geelong & Collingwood Freo smash Brisbane & Port beat Freo then Hawthorn could still drop to 5th.

There's a chance Greater Western Sydney could beat Collingwood and then they might play their VFL side against us next week.

Apr 7, 2010
West
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Brewers
Without Fyfe and Barlow in their side, Freo should be very concerned about what they saw tonight.

The swagger is back, good for you guys :thumbsu:

Not sure what we're meant to be concerned about though, pretty sure that unlike Carlton we'll actually be trying. If you think tonight was good preparation for the insanity of finals footy (which next will be) then that's your prerogative. Yet to be convinced Port are capable of beating a quality side away from home but we'll find out soon enough.

Saintt

Club Legend
Aug 5, 2013
Vic
AFL Club
St Kilda
Yeah, its an important game. The winner gets a qualifying final against Sydney in Sydney (that will be easy!!!) whereas the loser gets a home final against the side that finishes 8th. Only way finishing fourth is of any value is if you win that qualifying final. Lose and you have to take the harder road to the grand final - the same as if you finish outside of the top 4.
Nope, qualifying final loser hosts the semis, teams finishing 5-8 can never host a semi.

Most likely next week's game will decide who hosts the Fremantle/Port semi (unless Fremantle/Port beat Sydney or Fremantle/Port lose to whoever finishes 8th)
finalsafl.png

Overhang

Club Legend
Sep 29, 2011
AFL Club
Geelong
Highly doubtful and I really mean highly doubtful.
I hope your team isn't underestimating this game like you are. If North beat Adelaide this week then Richmond are in the 8 and playing a final against you guys next week which puts your team in an interesting predicament, how hard do you go to achieve top spot or do you take the game easy into the first final and subsequently drop the game which may cause you to drop to 2nd. Admittedly if the Hawks win tonight then I don't think you need to worry as they wont be able to cover the % gap.

I was preferring to play the Hawks at the G in the first final but now with Port and Freo playing a final like game next week for top 4 then I'd love to steal first and play the tired winner.

6 day break and the longest flight against a seemingly re energised and back in form team. Tough ask but Port not without a shot.

I can't see port pushing to far in September, they aren't consistently good enough yet.

But on their day and a bit of luck......just maybe.

Regards
Rose coloured

Sep 19, 2007
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I can't see port pushing to far in September, they aren't consistently good enough yet.

But on their day and a bit of luck......just maybe.

Regards
Rose coloured
Get out!

But seriously, have a little bit of optimism about you bro!

Losses

7 points
4 points
23 points
2 points
20 points
26 points (only by taking massive risks in the last 3 minutes)

and only one 1 goal win.....compared to Geelong however.

How are not a chance to push on?

Spoken4

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 10, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
South Fremantle & Peel Thunder
Nope, qualifying final loser hosts the semis, teams finishing 5-8 can never host a semi.

Most likely next week's game will decide who hosts the Fremantle/Port semi (unless Fremantle/Port beat Sydney or Fremantle/Port lose to whoever finishes 8th)
View attachment 75165

Sorry, you may have misunderstood my post. The loser of Freo v Port in round 23 gets a home final in week 1 of the finals against the side that finished 8th. The winner of Freo v Port in rounds 23 gets an away qualifying final in week 1 of the finals probably against Sydney. Lose that qualifying final and they then get a semi final at home.

Only subtle diffference between these two scenarios is that the side that finishes 5th gets one home final in week 1 and all other games as away finals. The side that finishes fourth (and loses their away qualifying final in week 1) gets one home final in week 2 and all other games as away finals.

The first scenario is potential easier at the side finishing 5th plays a week 1 home final against the 8th side (the easiest final?) and then a semifinal against the loser of the qualifying final (a team down on confidence and potentially in poorer form). The second scenario is potentially harder as the side finishing 4th plays an away qualifying final against the minor premier (the hardest final?) and losing that, a home semifinal against the side that won an elimination final in the first week of the finals (a team up on confidence and potentially in better form). Both scenarios then would have away prelim finals, and luck could be with the side that finished 5th ending up on the easier side of the draw than the side that finished 4th and ended up on the harder side of the draw.

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2007
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Sorry, you may have misunderstood my post. The loser of Freo v Port in round 23 gets a home final in week 1 of the finals against the side that finished 8th. The winner of Freo v Port in rounds 23 gets an away qualifying final in week 1 of the finals probably against Sydney. Lose that qualifying final and they then get a semi final at home.

Only difference between these two scenarios is that the side that finishes 5th gets one home final (an elimination final in week 1) and all other games as away finals. The side that finishes fourth (and loses their away qualifying final in week 1) gets one home final (a semi final in week 2) and all other games as away finals.

The first scenario is potential easier at the side finishing 5th plays a week 1 home final against the 8th side and then a semifinal against the loser of the qualifying final (a team down on confidence and potentially in poorer form. The second scenario is potentially harder as the side finishing 4th plays an away qualifying final against the minor premier and losing that, a home semifinal against the side that won an elimination final in the first week of the finals (a team up on confidence and potentially in better form). Both scenarios then would have away prelim finals, and luck could be with the side that finished 5th ending up on the easier side of the draw than the side that finished 4th and ended up on the harder side of the draw.
And then 4th place wins their way straight into a prelim.

Back