Certified Legendary Thread The Random Non Footy Chat Thread - General Non Footy talk

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interview with Professor Tim Flannery
Reporter: Sally Sara

First Published: 11/02/2007

SALLY SARA: Well, making good use of water is one of the subjects of this week's interview. Professor Tim Flannery has warned climate change will impact on Australia to the point where Sydney can expect to receive 60 per cent less rainfall than it does at present. If that's the case, what about the bush? What can Australian farmers expect as weather patterns alter? I spoke with Professor Tim Flannery about climate change, water and the intriguing subject of carbon trading. Professor Flannery, congratulations firstly on being named as Australian of the Year.

PROFESSOR TIM FLANNERY: Thank you very much.

SALLY SARA: What will it mean for Australian farmers if the predictions of climate change are correct and little is done to stop it? What will that mean for a farmer?

PROFESSOR TIM FLANNERY: We're already seeing the initial impacts and they include a decline in the winter rainfall zone across southern Australia, which is clearly an impact of climate change, but also a decrease in run-off. Although we're getting say a 20 per cent decrease in rainfall in some areas of Australia, that's translating to a 60 per cent decrease in the run-off into the dams and rivers. That's because the soil is warmer because of global warming and the plants are under more stress and therefore using more moisture. So even the rain that falls isn't actually going to fill our dams and our river systems, and that's a real worry for the people in the bush. If that trend continues then I think we're going to have serious problems, particularly for irrigation.

This thread dropped too far. Thought I better bring it back up the charts with a random thought.

Whoever decided we needed a D-Sal plant was a genius! We haven't had water issues ever since it was built!
Nah. Now it's constant flooding.
Hope they send that knob the damage bill.

http://www.theage.com.au/federal-po...imate-refugees-inevitable-20140412-36k47.html

Treasury chief Martin Parkinson says climate refugees inevitable

Date
April 13, 2014
Nick O'malley
Treasury secretary Martin Parkinson has told an audience in Washington it appeared inevitable that Australia would have to resettle climate change refugees in the coming decades.

Dr Parkinson had just given a speech about international economic co-operation at the Centre for Strategic and International Studies when an audience member from Fiji asked a question that deftly linked two of the Australian government's most sensitive issues - climate change and refugee policy. He wanted to know what role Australia would play in resettling people from the region faced with the impact of climate change.

''[It] doesn't necessarily arise because you wake up one morning and find water around your ankles because the sea level has risen,'' he said. ''We are seeing it already in some of the small island countries where you are seeing potable water degradation in fresh water wells. If climate change plays out the way scientists believe, then it will be inevitable that there will be climate change refugees in our region and it would naturally fall to Australia and New Zealand to welcome any of those because of our historic links with those countries.''

He said Australia already assists countries in the region adapt to the changing climate and to cope with natural disasters such as cyclones.

It is understood that Dr Parkinson has been ousted as Treasury secretary by the Abbott government because of his association with climate change policy.

He was due to depart in June but this month it was revealed that Mr Abbott had asked him to stay on until the end of the year to help with Australia's presidency of the G20.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/federal-polit...-inevitable-20140412-36k47.html#ixzz2yipZ2V4Q

What are your thoughts on the issue Baltimore Jack ?
In the 14th Century there were a huge number of Scientists who told Governments the World was Round and that we revolved around the Sun
Governments and their Advisors along with a few Scientists who relied on government favours told the populous not to believe these new Scientists and their raddicle ideas.
They insisted and decreed that the World was flat and that the Universe revolved around us.

Today we have exactly the same argument

In the 14th Century there were a huge number of Scientists who told Governments the World was Round and that we revolved around the Sun
Governments and their Advisors along with a few Scientists who relied on government favours told the populous not to believe these new Scientists and their raddicle ideas.
They insisted and decreed that the World was flat and that the Universe revolved around us.

Today we have exactly the same argument

Don't go on the Australian Politics forum with these thoughts as you will get lambasted like me.
Can't believe that this government is turning a blind eye to climate change - Direct Action. What does this mean apart from planting more trees by the unemployed who will not be covered by any regulations like work cover?

Liverpool just scored...if they can win this they will win the league. As much as I despise them it would be fitting that they finally do it 25 years after Hillsborough.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Liverpool just scored...if they can win this they will win the league. As much as I despise them it would be fitting that they finally do it 25 years after Hillsborough.

I hope they win the League

Bin dipping, lying, cheating, filthy, racist accommodating ****s.

I hope they lose 6-1
Pffft, they already lost 81-58...

... hang on, you were talking about... nevermind. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back