Certified Legendary Thread The Random Non Footy Chat Thread - General Non Footy talk

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
There may be some examples but from what I know of the subject it is open to debate as to the animals true intentions. For example, a polar bear that kills when it is not hungry might be simply practicing hunting skills. The only thing we know for sure is that human beings definetly kill for fun.

It's a fact that predators enjoy chasing and killing animals, you can scientifically prove this. I believe it's fairly open and closed, predator's enjoy killing prey, and when food is plentiful and they are bored some will partake just for the enjoyment of the hunt

We are around 1% of our genetic code away from being a wild animal.

I don't see much difference between killing for sport and killing to eat, taking into account we don't NEED to eat animals we just do it for the ENJOYMENT. So both ways the animal dies and both times it's for our enjoyment... Is there really a big a difference as we like to tell ourselves there is?
Sorry, Blaze. I'm not with you on this one. Killing animals purely for fun or "sport" is simply wrong, no matter how someone tries to spin it, in my opinion.

It's a fact that predators enjoy chasing and killing animals, you can scientifically prove this. I believe it's fairly open and closed, predator's enjoy killing prey, and when food is plentiful and they are bored some will partake just for the enjoyment of the hunt

I wonder what David Attenborough would make of your theory.

Sorry, Blaze. I'm not with you on this one. Killing animals purely for fun or "sport" is simply wrong, no matter how someone tries to spin it, in my opinion.

Do you think it is okay to kill an animal just for the enjoyment of eating it when there are plenty of other food choices were the animal could live?

I'm not against people hunting feral animals. Wild pigs, deer, goats, cats, dogs and camels all need to be eradicated from the bush.

Yeah, I know what you're trying to say, but they're two totally separate things to me.

You're trying to make them two different things to feel better about eating meat :p

Both of them revolve around animals dying just for our enjoyment, one is for the enjoyment of the hunt the other is for the enjoyment of the flesh. From my point if view if you take objection with one you have to take objection with the other

You're trying to make them two different things to feel better about eating meat :p

Both of them revolve around animals dying just for our enjoyment, one is for the enjoyment of the hunt the other is for the enjoyment of the flesh. From my point if view if you take objection with one you have to take objection with the other
Maybe I am (I don't really like to think about this stuff too much), but the enjoyment of hunting is that you get enjoyment out of killing the animal, which is pretty messed up. The enjoyment of eating is that you enjoy the taste. They're different things to me.

Not really in the mood for a debate right now, to be honest.:p

Wondering what people think of duck hunting. I was staying with friends in Nagambie on the weekend, and they live on the edge of Lake Nagambie. It's duck hunting season, and hunters shoot ducks on the lake. We didn't hear any shooting during our stay, but our friends hear it a lot during the season. Issues?

Firstly, our friends have heard bullets flying over and near their house (friend is ex-army and knows a bullet when he hears one). This was reported to the police who insist that the hunting is lawful if the hunters don't fire in populated areas. True, but...

Secondly, our friends have two dogs. One gets terrified and upset, but the other loves it (has lab and spaniel in her I think), and goes all alert and ready to fetch the ducks!

Thirdly, it's questionable as to whether all the ducks killed are legally targeted birds.

Personally, I hate guns and don't see the point of killing animals (although I do eat meat). I also don't want to criticise recreational shooters who behave correctly and legally. But my friends hate duck season, dread it every year, and it impacts on them. They have owned their property for over 30 years, so it's not a case of recent arrivals complaining.
No problem for me. No different to fishing or rabbit hunting. However, it must be done responsibly & safely, if not take guns & licences away permanently.

I also have fond memories of doing the above with my father so that comes into it for me.

One of the things for me about the farm is knowing where my food comes from & how it's been raised/grown. Fishing & shooting allows me this whilst also been a form of a challenge & relaxing.

I think we have our gun laws about right, i think most or all can only be single shot & we don't have huge bored weapons compared to US. Maybe tighten up the holders of "sporting shooter" licences (like I have) but i think it's fair enough for primary producers to have two. Vermin control & for compassionate dispatching of livestock.

The theory that predators like to hunt?

Have you ever had a cat o_O

Bloody hate cats. Particularly the ones that constantly s**t along the side of my house.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I see no problem with hunting for sport. That's separate to being consciously aware of our power to disrupt an ecosystem and also enjoying the death of beautiful creatures like lions and etc.

That's why these things should probably be reulated based on thr situation, but I can see why people would enjoy hunting.

I also hate the "fight a lion with a knife" argument. We're humans. We don't need to use a knife, that's why we're on the top of the chain. Just because firearms are used doesn't mean hunting is easy. I don't think I'd be able to survive hutning a lion if I just went in willy nilly. Although seeing pictures of hunters killing animals such as lions elephants etc sadden me because they are beautiful creatures.

Ducks.... meh. Tasty though.

Are you saying that someone that eats meat automatically has to be ok with killing animals for sport? Animals also die because of all sorts of other human actions that impact on their environment.

No problem for me. No different to fishing or rabbit hunting. However, it must be done responsibly & safely, if not take guns & licences away permanently.

I also have fond memories of doing the above with my father so that comes into it for me.

One of the things for me about the farm is knowing where my food comes from & how it's been raised/grown. Fishing & shooting allows me this whilst also been a form of a challenge & relaxing.

I think we have our gun laws about right, i think most or all can only be single shot & we don't have huge bored weapons compared to US. Maybe tighten up the holders of "sporting shooter" licences (like I have) but i think it's fair enough for primary producers to have two. Vermin control & for compassionate dispatching of livestock.

Fair points, OA. Its about being responsible, and following the rules. A real concern for my Nagambie friends is that some of the duck hunters are coming too close, and not staying in those parts of the lake which are more distant from where people live. Also agree about vermin control, and the humane killing of animals for food. This happens, and I benefit from it.

Fair points, OA. Its about being responsible, and following the rules. A real concern for my Nagambie friends is that some of the duck hunters are coming too close, and not staying in those parts of the lake which are more distant from where people live. Also agree about vermin control, and the humane killing of animals for food. This happens, and I benefit from it.
Responsible is the word, know your environment (as in don't shoot near people/houses) & know your foul before shooting.
Having said that, I vote for the right to shoot ducks but I actually don't like it.:p

It's too hard to identify endangered species, birds aren't always killed & it does seem to be bogans think it's fair game to suck cans & blast at anything (minority).

I like duck meat but I'll raise it & dispatch it quickly.

Tyrion Blair

8bc8Id9.jpg

Daisy pls.

35l7m8y.jpg

But can get out of control quickly.

I think it depends on the animal. Duck? I'm fine with but have no knowledge on it really.

As for guns, I'm very comfortable with the gun laws here and the people who are obsessed with guns seem weird. Although I wouldn't mind shooting some at a firing range.

Whoever is shooting at your house is a bloody idiot.
Nice feathery innocent ducks?
Those dirty stinking pigs deserve to die, but ducks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back