Certified Legendary Thread The Random Non Footy Chat Thread - General Non Footy talk

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes - Political and religious beliefs IMO should be kept to yourself. I honestly don't believe these forums are the right place for discussion let alone the dinner table with your extended family let alone mates at the pub.....more often than not someone is offended.

Not being allowed to discuss political and religious beliefs is the type of censorship I would expect in North Korea.

Not being allowed to discuss political and religious beliefs is the type of censorship I would expect in North Korea.
This is why we don't discuss it. Everyone is entitled to their own beliefs and political choices here in Australia which differentiates us to the North Korea. We don't have one religion or political belief being rammed down our throats 24/7 with repercussions if we decide to stand-up against it which differentiates us from the North Koreans of this world. We have freedom of speech and individual choices here which again differentiates us from these countries; however we don't (individuals) go out preaching our beliefs or political alliances to others, expressing our feelings or beliefs in public areas or forums like this. Much like unions where we had a brief discussion a couple of weeks ago which potentially raised heated arguments but luckily those who participated were mature and respectful enough for it to end in an agree to disagree.

ATM and given this topic I don't believe there would be enough mature understanding of the history and beliefs for this not to turn into an Australian Defence League lynch mob social media bashing forum.

I respect everyone individual religious and political opinion - I just don't want to hear it!

This is why we don't discuss it. Everyone is entitled to their own beliefs and political choices here in Australia which differentiates us to the North Korea. We don't have one religion or political belief being rammed down our throats 24/7 with repercussions if we decide to stand-up against it which differentiates us from the North Koreans of this world. We have freedom of speech and individual choices here which again differentiates us from these countries; however we don't (individuals) go out preaching our beliefs or political alliances to others, expressing our feelings or beliefs in public areas or forums like this. Much like unions where we had a brief discussion a couple of weeks ago which potentially raised heated arguments but luckily those who participated were mature and respectful enough for it to end in an agree to disagree.

ATM and given this topic I don't believe there would be enough mature understanding of the history and beliefs for this not to turn into an Australian Defence League lynch mob social media bashing forum.

I respect everyone individual religious and political opinion - I just don't want to hear it!

Right now you are preaching your belief on censorship.

Everyone has the right to express their opinions, with respect, if you don't like that then don't read it.

Everyone has the right to an opinion, just don't talk about it?

That doesn't seem right...

Everyone has the right to express their opinions, with respect, if you don't like that then don't read it.
You are being your usual pedantic self.
He did not say people should be forbidden from expressing their opinions, only that he preferred that they didn't

Discussing and preaching are two different things.

I agree, don't preach it, but why wouldn't you want to hear another person's opinion?

Everyone has the right to express their opinions with respect, if you don't like that then don't read it.

More like everyone has the right to express their opinions with respect!

Unfortunately this is where it breaks down. Many can't convey themselves on political or religious topics whilst maintaining respect and unfortunately these topics when spoken about on forums like this are disrespectful to certain readers. It's all too late once it's out here regardless of what the readers choose to or not to read.

It's a circular argument that is once again reiterating my beliefs that are upsetting to you. It does take some maturity to understand and accept that some censorship does actually have benefit in today's world.

*See - that pushed a button with many didn't it!

We have censorship everywhere. That's why we have moderators here to ensure that board rules are adhered to which does include censorship. Why do we have Collingwood Supporters Only Threads - so we don't have trolls stoking the fire on sensitive issues to a minority of the BF community board.

I'm comfortable with it. I'm happy our family don't sit around the table and debate their political alliances in any great depth. Banter yes - happy with that but it always goes to far.

GetMeOutOfthisThread.gif

Discussing and preaching are two different things.

I agree, don't preach it, but why wouldn't you want to hear another person's opinion?
I agree - and you're right. one of my favorite shows is Q and A and I love hearing individual opinions. I just hate those that continue to preach it and get so defensive about it and throw it down your throat. These forums tend to get derailed so easily as you have so many demographics and levels of maturity not to mention those that intently stoke the fire.

Sorry - I'm not the best at putting my case forward.

Unfortunately this is where it breaks down. Many can't convey themselves on political or religious topics whilst maintaining respect and unfortunately these topics when spoken about on forums like this are disrespectful to certain readers. It's all too late once it's out here regardless of what the readers choose to or not to read.

It's a circular argument that is once again reiterating my beliefs that are upsetting to you. It does take some maturity to understand and accept that some censorship does actually have benefit in today's world.

We have censorship everywhere. That's why we have moderators here to ensure that board rules are adhered to which does include censorship. Why do we have Collingwood Supporters Only Threads - so we don't have trolls stoking the fire on sensitive issues to a minority of the BF community board.

I'm comfortable with it. I'm happy our family don't sit around the table and debate their political alliances in any great depth. Banter yes - happy with that but it always goes to far.

GetMeOutOfthisThread.gif
But not everyone who has a political/religious opinion or wants to have a discussion on it, only does so disrespectfully.

GetMeOutOfthisThread.gif

Whilst I understand your opinion I still have to respectfully disagree ;)

I won't go into any more detail as this debate has run it's course I think :thumbsu:

I agree - and you're right. one of my favorite shows is Q and A and I love hearing individual opinions. I just hate those that continue to preach it and get so defensive about it and throw it down your throat. These forums tend to get derailed so easily as you have so many demographics and levels of maturity not to mention those that intently stoke the fire.

Sorry - I'm not the best at putting my case forward.
I agree, on this forum, and anywhere really, there comes a point where you just walk away from the discussion/argument because you've gone full circle or nothing fruitful will come of it.

But you should still hear them out, first.

Random chat should be fun stuff to talk about..Not Politics , religion or conspiracies. Other websites for that!

Random chat should be fun stuff to talk about..Not Politics , religion or conspiracies. Other websites for that!
come on over to the 'Awards Night' thread
you're missing all the fun

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Okay can someone explain this/?

The attack is clearly, CLEARLY, by the Islamic State. So why have they been hiding this from us?? The Age ******* newspaper have even been hiding it.

Okay can someone explain this/?

The attack is clearly, CLEARLY, by the Islamic State. So why have they been hiding this from us?? The Age ******* newspaper have even been hiding it.
It's not that clear.

They can be easily used as a scapegoat.

Also, they're not exactly hiding it, it's just irresponsible to state "facts" that haven't been confirmed/proven unlike the Herald Sun (I think)

It's not that clear.

They can be easily used as a scapegoat.

Also, they're not exactly hiding it, it's just irresponsible to state "facts" that haven't been confirmed/proven unlike the Herald Sun (I think)
It is a fact. Haven't you seen the hostage videos???

And what do you mean they aren't 'exactly hiding it'. They are s**t scared, they don't want us to know the facts. We should definitely be able to know whether it is IS or not.

Can't access it, I'm only a subscriber to The Age. Copy paste?
Wrong article anyway.

Basically, Herald Sun had already came out with the article saying it was ISIS in which it wasn't, at that point, considering the flags were from a different Islamic group.

He is currently requesting them to bring him an ISIS flag.

It is a fact. Haven't you seen the hostage videos???

And what do you mean they aren't 'exactly hiding it'. They are s**t scared, they don't want us to know the facts. We should definitely be able to know whether it is IS or not.

Lol, the media try to scare us, try to make us feel insecure. The only reason The Age wouldn't be running with the story saying it's 100% ISIS is because aside from the fact the guy is Muslim there's no other proof, and perhaps they want to try and cling to whatever credibility they have left.

Just saw the siege end live

6 hostages fled around 2am before police moved in and opened fire

4 Hostages were taken out on stretchers. 2 appear critical and one maybe deceased. Another hostage was sitting.

The word hero gets thrown around a lot, but these police officers are the definition of it.

It seems nearly impossible the terrorist is still alive.

Absolutely surreal feeling after watching a gun fight live

I just can't wrap my head around it.

I've watched it twice now, and I still can't ready myself for when they go in.

It was so sudden.

This has been a pretty big wake up call tbh. I'm not sure if it was my naivety or the joking around before, but I sort of just figured it would end in "police shoot bad guys and everyone walks away safely"...

This is a very complex issue but ı agree with some of the points Kappa makes. I personally think religion is used as a tool to make people act in ways witch are abhorrent while excusing that person for that behaviour. Giving them a justification for what is unjustifiable.
Actually to take it one step further, and I don't mean religious people any disrespect by this statement but I believe the main goal of religion is to control societies for the benefit of a few. And this is by no means restricted to Islam. Every religion does it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back