Certified Legendary Thread The Random Non Footy Chat Thread - General Non Footy talk

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Condolences Gr Grundy. She looks like she was such a cuddly little cutie. 17 year is a really good innings too. Keep your chin up hey!

View attachment 140801 My little dog Prinny was euthanized at home today. She's 17 and maybe had a couple of months left but it was either me, my sanity and responsibilities, or her and her ailing years, senile mind, blindness and expendability. Those was no medium path to follow, just either or, either me or her.

I haven't stopped crying over her corpse and memory since the vet left at 3pm. She was the loyalest little dog, full of personality and mischief, and probably a bit of a charmer at her peak. Already I miss her so much even though she is still lying on her bed in my room. The temperature here is about 4 degrees, and the hole I dug for her will be cold and wet. I'll bury her tomorrow with a cushion and blanket.

Why is the death of a pet so much worse than that of a relative? Or is it just me?
I know exactly how you feel , Google Rainbow Bridge , might help a bit.

Really like the look of Australia's first XI taking on the Windies at home. Marsh opening, Smith at three, Voges at five and a three pronged pace attack lead by Johnson and backed up by two young guns Hazelwood and Starc.

Last edited:

Was walking this morning and found a wallet. No money but credit cards and other cards including a photo of the person.

Decided to do the right thing and googled his name so I could contact him about it. Found out that he has a criminal record with some very unpleasant offences.

Have decided to drop if off to the local police station instead.

Good Samaritan only goes so far.

Was walking this morning and found a wallet. No money but credit cards and other cards including a photo of the person.

Decided to do the right thing and googled his name so I could contact him about it. Found out that he has a criminal record with some very unpleasant offences.

Have decided to drop if off to the local police station instead.

Good Samaritan only goes so far.

SOymgjQ.jpg

Those of you who have followed my posts on the magpies nest post cards thread about my friend in jail in Thailand will know precisely what I am referring to here. I am posting here because I believe the postcards thread should be for more light-hearted travel photos than what I am presenting here.

My Thai friend contracted TB two years into his sentence, was hospitalized for a month then moved back into prison as soon as he was able to sit up. I visited him today and Monday. He is on a wheelchair, unable to walk. He wants me to buy him a walking frame so that he can learn to walk again. I have to negotiate a suitable frame with the prison guards, one which doesn't pose a threat to the security of the prison. Unfortunately the internet connection on my phone didn't work at the prison and I didn't have pictures of possible frames so I gave up on negotiating and will leave it to his wife when she is able to take time off work to visit. I spoke better Thai last time I was here. My confidence in my language skills is being eroded by circumstances.

There was something going on at the prison today involving big wigs in black cars and TV reporters and cameras. The effect of all this on the visitors was simply that we had to sit outside in the heat with bugger all explanation of what was happening while no visits took place. When visits were resumed after 4 hours, I watched numerous people who had arrived after me go in before me, until I had had enough and went in to the visiting room and complained to the guard. After a 20 minute delay, my friend was wheeled in front of a camera and I spoke to him through the TV link. He has to pay another prisoner to go buy food for him with the money I deposit. When he is taken to the hospital for tests, he is left the whole day without food or water in the corridor in between xrays, tests etc. He has to sleep on the floor in the 'sick room' like all the other ailing prisoners, despite his obvious physical deficiencies.

To be frank, I cannot handle much more of this and am going to Angkor Wat in Cambodia on Friday to be a tourist for a few weeks. I just want to share with those who care some photos of Oh, my thai friend, in hospital about 4 weeks ago. His wife took the photos - she stayed beside his bed after finishing work and commuted from the hospital. If I hadn't 3 months ago alerted the prison staff to the seriousness of his illness, I am sure he might have died. I am not taking any credit for myself - I am just appalled that prisoners are given no consideration in this country until it is deemed absolutely necessary to do something. Oh looks like one of the POW prisoners who suffered under the Japanese in WW2, or a survivor of Auschwitz.

I am sorry to inflict this sort of misery on Magpie fans seeking to escape the more serious aspects of life in what is essentially a football forum. Maybe some people will now understand why I had to euthanize a dog I loved for the sake of a fellow human being. Life presents some hard choices to make at times. Incidentally, Oh is only 33 yrs old.

20150503_063620-1 (2).jpg

20150503_063626-1 (2).jpg

Last edited:
TheGreatGrundy this is such a sad and horrifying story, especially so as it involves your friend Oh.
But what an amazing friend you are to this man.
Take care of yourself, and enjoy Cambodia.
I hope you're enjoying the feeling of the sun warming your bones. (it's freezing here brrrrrrr)

TheGreatGrundy this is such a sad and horrifying story, especially so as it involves your friend Oh.
But what an amazing friend you are to this man.
Take care of yourself, and enjoy Cambodia.
I hope you're enjoying the feeling of the sun warming your bones. (it's freezing here brrrrrrr)
I do like the warmth, hot though it may be!

View attachment 140801 My little dog Prinny was euthanized at home today. She's 17 and maybe had a couple of months left but it was either me, my sanity and responsibilities, or her and her ailing years, senile mind, blindness and expendability. Those was no medium path to follow, just either or, either me or her.

I haven't stopped crying over her corpse and memory since the vet left at 3pm. She was the loyalest little dog, full of personality and mischief, and probably a bit of a charmer at her peak. Already I miss her so much even though she is still lying on her bed in my room. The temperature here is about 4 degrees, and the hole I dug for her will be cold and wet. I'll bury her tomorrow with a cushion and blanket.

Why is the death of a pet so much worse than that of a relative? Or is it just me?

Condolences mate. Hope things are looking up.

Those of you who have followed my posts on the magpies nest post cards thread about my friend in jail in Thailand will know precisely what I am referring to here. I am posting here because I believe the postcards thread should be for more light-hearted travel photos than what I am presenting here.

My Thai friend contracted TB two years into his sentence, was hospitalized for a month then moved back into prison as soon as he was able to sit up. I visited him today and Monday. He is on a wheelchair, unable to walk. He wants me to buy him a walking frame so that he can learn to walk again. I have to negotiate a suitable frame with the prison guards, one which doesn't pose a threat to the security of the prison. Unfortunately the internet connection on my phone didn't work at the prison and I didn't have pictures of possible frames so I gave up on negotiating and will leave it to his wife when she is able to take time off work to visit. I spoke better Thai last time I was here. My confidence in my language skills is being eroded by circumstances.

There was something going on at the prison today involving big wigs in black cars and TV reporters and cameras. The effect of all this on the visitors was simply that we had to sit outside in the heat with bugger all explanation of what was happening while no visits took place. When visits were resumed after 4 hours, I watched numerous people who had arrived after me go in before me, until I had had enough and went in to the visiting room and complained to the guard. After a 20 minute delay, my friend was wheeled in front of a camera and I spoke to him through the TV link. He has to pay another prisoner to go buy food for him with the money I deposit. When he is taken to the hospital for tests, he is left the whole day without food or water in the corridor in between xrays, tests etc. He has to sleep on the floor in the 'sick room' like all the other ailing prisoners, despite his obvious physical deficiencies.

To be frank, I cannot handle much more of this and am going to Angkor Wat in Cambodia on Friday to be a tourist for a few weeks. I just want to share with those who care some photos of Oh, my thai friend, in hospital about 4 weeks ago. His wife took the photos - she stayed beside his bed after finishing work and commuted from the hospital. If I hadn't 3 months ago alerted the prison staff to the seriousness of his illness, I am sure he might have died. I am not taking any credit for myself - I am just appalled that prisoners are given no consideration in this country until it is deemed absolutely necessary to do something. Oh looks like one of the POW prisoners who suffered under the Japanese in WW2, or a survivor of Auschwitz.

I am sorry to inflict this sort of misery on Magpie fans seeking to escape the more serious aspects of life in what is essentially a football forum. Maybe some people will now understand why I had to euthanize a dog I loved for the sake of a fellow human being. Life presents some hard choices to make at times. Incidentally, Oh is only 33 yrs old.

View attachment 142530

View attachment 142533

The friendship and support you have given Oh is truly inspiring. If there were more people like you this world would be a better place. Enjoy your tourist escape and I hope things improve soon.

View attachment 142530

View attachment 142533

This is horrendous TGG. Best wishes to your friend and his family, and tremendous of you to offer support. Yet again reminded of our incredible luck to live in this country, where we have the absolute luxury of being able to argue about things like footy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thanks to all who have offered support to Oh, his family (he has three daughters) and me. At times the cruelty of his situation and his dependence on outside help seems overwhelming. I did not realize till yesterday that he cannot access the free prison food - because he cannot walk there but mainly because the other prisoners are afraid of catching his TB. I will be back in thailand in 3 weeks. I hope he survives OK till then. Got to be careful not to get robbed in Cambodia!

For those of you who have not or were not think of going, i plead with you all to go see jurassic world
From all reports, it's good but really just a popcorn flick.

I showed my wife this and she just looked at me like I was an idiot. I had to say "It's a dog" - she was looking for some hidden meaning and then realised what the whole thing was about.
I showed my son, and also had to explain
What's wrong with these people:rolleyes:
(FWIW I thought it was funny)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back