Certified Legendary Thread The Random Non Footy Chat Thread - General Non Footy talk

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mum was too young & the lamb was huge. Couldn't get it out. It was already dead when I went out to check on them this morning. That's it for this season 7 lambs, plus the one that died, plus one saved. Sheeba is going great guns.

Lot's of Kooka's & Magpies around here but none that are friendly enough to feed.

Not a good day for our animal friends.

No word of a lie. This morning at 5:30am I get into the ute and drive down to the front gate of the property. I look up and in the dark I see something crawl across the sun visor in front of me. I turn the interior light on and there's a huge huntsman spider looking at me.....thank god the car was parked and even if I was on the highway I still would've reacted the same and just jumped out of the car.....Took the work boot off, had a swipe and missed.....was worried if it got away I could never drive the car again. Ended up hitting it second or third time and it landed on the dash..

Was so lucky this didn't happen at 100km/h on the highway.

No word of a lie. This morning at 5:30am I get into the ute and drive down to the front gate of the property. I look up and in the dark I see something crawl across the sun visor in front of me. I turn the interior light on and there's a huge huntsman spider looking at me.....thank god the car was parked and even if I was on the highway I still would've reacted the same and just jumped out of the car.....Took the work boot off, had a swipe and missed.....was worried if it got away I could never drive the car again. Ended up hitting it second or third time and it landed on the dash..

That happened to me last year going down the mountain with nowhere to stop for a kilometer. In my case, the huntsman ran across the driver's door right beside me. When I stopped at the car park, I clambered over the gear stick and passenger seat, then managed to kill it before it hid. I am very tolerant of them inside the house but not the car. The worst thing that can happen to you with the visor is you pull it down when driving and the huntsman lands on your lap.

You're up early!

Mum was too young & the lamb was huge. Couldn't get it out. It was already dead when I went out to check on them this morning. That's it for this season 7 lambs, plus the one that died, plus one saved. Sheeba is going great guns.

Lot's of Kooka's & Magpies around here but none that are friendly enough to feed.
Are you going to become a sheep farmer? How many sheep do you need to subsidise a rural lifestyle?

That happened to me last year going down the mountain with nowhere to stop for a kilometer. In my case, the huntsman ran across the driver's door right beside me. When I stopped at the car park, I clambered over the gear stick and passenger seat, then managed to kill it before it hid. I am very tolerant of them inside the house but not the car. The worst thing that can happen to you with the visor is you pull it down when driving and the huntsman lands on your lap.

You're up early!
Way too early for me. I'm starting at 6:30ish now so I can pick kids up a little earlier in the evenings.

I don't mind spiders outside of the car either, but snakes are a whole new ball game for me..........hate the buggers!

Are you going to become a sheep farmer? How many sheep do you need to subsidise a rural lifestyle?
No, enough to feed myself & hopefully sell some lean organic lamb to family & friends. May sell some lamb ewes back to the Stud Farm I got them from if they want them.

jmac70 im so sorry about your little rabbit.
I had a dwarf bunny for 6 years. He used to roam free in the yard too. Was a great companion to my our 2 golden retrievers. They used to play chasey:)

And Obese Arachnid sorry about your lamb.:(

The 'spiders in the cari is most people's nightmare. I remember driving off one day and suddenly noticing one on the windscreen. I stopped and asked a neighbour to help (I can't bear to kill them)
He just reached in and grabbed it and put it in the garden!
Very heroic

The 'spiders in the cari is most people's nightmare. I remember driving off one day and suddenly noticing one on the windscreen. I stopped and asked a neighbour to help (I can't bear to kill them)
Very heroic
I don't like to kill them either and don't - unless they are in my car with me. If you are kind to them and try to capture rather than kill them, chances are too high of them escaping into some nook or cranny. Then everytime you go in the car you have to worry about when and where they are likely to emerge.

jmac70 im so sorry about your little rabbit.
I had a dwarf bunny for 6 years. He used to roam free in the yard too. Was a great companion to my our 2 golden retrievers. They used to play chasey:)

And Obese Arachnid sorry about your lamb.:(

Very heroic

Thanks MG. It has not been a great week. During the hot spell I pulled down our lounge room external blind for the first time in six months and four brand new baby sparrows dropped out onto the ground. They were dead in a matter of minutes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have a black & white rabbit who roams around in my front yard. He doesn't like to be in his hut so most nights I leave him out. He is an independent rabbit with a lot of personality. This morning I went out to feed him and all I could find was a small pile of fur. I suspect a fox took him away. It has left me feeling very flat and my eldest daughter is heart broken. RIP Fluffy. :cry:

Either a fox or a neighbour's dog. My money's on the fox. Where do you live? Anywhere semi-rural? We've lost chooks twice in the past. It's horrible for the kids.

I have sent
Either a fox or a neighbour's dog. My money's on the fox. Where do you live? Anywhere semi-rural? We've lost chooks twice in the past. It's horrible for the kids.
Owls can make a mess of small animals too - believe it or not. If it is in the suburbs, my money is on a cat. It's horrible for anyone of any age when a loved pet dies.

Sorry to hear that. But you've given your sheep better care than many humans get in childbirth.

We have a family of Kookas who knock on the windows all day sometimes - fighting with their own reflection. But our resident magpies are very friendly.

A spider once came down my daughter's sunglasses while she was going around a roundabout. She jumped, jolted and ran into the car in front, luckily at low speed. But it cost her $2,000! That'll teach her to spare the spider spray.

I have sent
Owls can make a mess of small animals too - believe it or not. If it is in the suburbs, my money is on a cat. It's horrible for anyone of any age when a loved pet dies.

That's true too. I don't blame the owls, but cats are bastards.

Speaking of owls , a couple of years ago up at my old folks place Darrweit Guim , my old mans car was swooped by an owl and it got stuck in the roof racks , the old man asked me to remove the little birdy dead on his roof , it was the scariest looking thing I'd seen , was pure white and huge with massive talons.
Anyway carry on .

No, enough to feed myself & hopefully sell some lean organic lamb to family & friends. May sell some lamb ewes back to the Stud Farm I got them from if they want them.

I hope ewe are making a gyro with some of that prime meat....

Do you have any pigs, chickens? Can't remember if I've asked that before...

That's true too. I don't blame the owls, but cats are bastards.

Cats should not be allowed to leave their owners property. They are a terrible nuisance. Kill wildlife, send my dog crazy, get killed by my dog and I have to clean up their stinking carcass, make strange high pitched screams at night.

Shocking animal when left to roam the streets. Only good cats are the large variety. Unless it's Garfield. But he's just a legend.

I hope ewe are making a gyro with some of that prime meat....

Do you have any pigs, chickens? Can't remember if I've asked that before...
Nah, not yet & it will be a while. I was under prepared for the sheep slightly so I want to make sure I have everything right by next season. Money is tight & more stuff also needs to be done around the house.

Nice pun.:thumbsu:

I live in West Footscray. There are quite a few open areas near bye. Hopefully my rabbit had no idea.

Nah, not yet & it will be a while. I was under prepared for the sheep slightly so I want to make sure I have everything right by next season. Money is tight & more stuff also needs to be done around the house.

Nice pun.:thumbsu:

Damn money and time. Never enough of those man made creations.

We buy eggs off a guy who has chickens, happy fat and well fed ones.... Must have a s**t load of them because we get on average of 5-6 dozen ( for our extended family) a week @ $5 a dozen. Cheap for super fresh, high quality eggs. You really see the difference when you try and eat shop bought ones... Huge differences from taste to colour

When you get some chickens you might be able to make a small fortune.

I was up here for 12 years, moved South for 5 years and just last week returned. It's a great place. Good weather, outdoor life and a real social lifestyle. Everyone is so relaxed. NT stands for not today, not tomorrow, not Tuesday, not Thursday if you know what I mean....this can be frustrating at times though.

A long lunch on Mitchell St is the norm with a few midday beers, good food around the markets and a real transient population that doubles in the dry season. Well worth a few days TGG on your way through to Thailand. Darwin has many international flights to Asia so maybe plan a stop over on teh way/way back to a visit to Thailand for a look.
I've worked a lot in Darwin. Nice in the dry a bastard in the wet.

Oh and NT, I was told N-ext T-ime

I've worked a lot in Darwin. Nice in the dry a bastard in the wet.
We had 60mm of rain probably a day or two ago, it's actually very nice atm, cool weather and nice breeze. I know it's coming, but the weather is fantastic atm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back