Football Related Random Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Continued in Part 2

I think you hit the nail on the head when you said it is about preseason. An advantage of missing finals is that your compulsory offseason starts earlier which then allows your preseason to start earlier. That would be a far bigger advantage than the psychological benefits of attending a game.

And, while Grand Final time in Melbourne is special, watching it in Bali or Thailand wouldn't be much different to watching it in Brisbane. Are you saying the 700 odd players should all be required to be in Melbourne, be allocated a grand final ticket, take up accommodation (for those from interstate) etc? It seems a little impractical.

The only other thing is that players do need a break. Once the season is over, I think it is good for them to piss off and clear their heads. I think it is worth remembering that these guys live and breathe footy for nearly the whole year. It is their job and I think it is probably a bit unfair to demand they have a burning passion for it at the end of a long season. If it were me, as much as I love footy, I'd just want to get away from the game. It may be all the more valuable for a player's wellbeing to have that break. Continuing to have to be around the club for another month just to meet the requirements to attend grand final day doesn't strike me as being the best thing for the players.

I don't know if you have played footy finals before Luki but as someone who has played a lot of footy finals - the moment you are out - is the moment you could give 2 fs who wins or wanting to be around it. It doesn't mean you don't care - it is the opposite it hurts too much to watch! If I was fortunate enough to be an afl player and we didn't make the finals I would be taking off as well.

Nice responses - all very reasonable and true. Narr I don't think 700 listed players should be forced to stay and go to the GF, but I wouldn't object if a coach enforced "we are going to a prelim or to a final as a group" (even if just players under 22). I disagree not being around means your arnt disconnected, OS you would pretty much miss the finals series. It's more just a psychological assessment, your career is centered around this month of the year and 90% of listed AFL ayers arnt here for it. Points taken though, getting a jump on preseason is obviously a massive benefit. And yes - I've played footy (not for 5 years or so) and still currently play a good level of basketball, both teams always go to the granny for both leagues, but that's just local level. A lot of the more nerdy players hang around, it's probley just a preference thing.

I disagree not being around means your arnt disconnected, OS you would pretty much miss the finals series.
I've been overseas during finals (mainly in Asia) and there's been finals coverage. The grand final (both AFL and NRL) was shown live on the Australia Network (or whatever it is now called).

I've been overseas during finals (mainly in Asia) and there's been finals coverage. The grand final (both AFL and NRL) was shown live on the Australia Network (or whatever it is now called).
Yep. I wandered by a final on a tele in a Bali pub just recently, actually. Plus, yanno, the interwebs.

Yeah I watched the 2009 grand final from a hotel in Mumbai crippled with food poisoning, it was awesome. There's no doubt access is possible, especially with AFL live.

Lions ambassador Buffering just won another group 1. Does anyone else back him like I do cause he is a Lions ambassador. For me oartly its that but he is a great horse.

Hi, I'd love to buy my son a Grand final record, does anyone know where on the north side of Brisbane I could get one?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oh no, Squizzy got beaten home in the Grand Final Sprint by the Indian Cab Driver. :eek: What has life become???
I'd back most of our list to beat Lewy over 100m. Those little pegs aren't made for sprinting.

Broncos offering us Buck the horse for Buffering. Don't know about you but I would like a player as well. Hunt, Folau they have a history of being an AFL feeder team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back