Football Related Random Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Continued in Part 2

I'm sorry to report the days of wine and roses (and free sauce) are now over for Gabba members. Long did Gabba member enjoy taking free handfuls of sauce squeeze packets and frivolously dowsing our food with said sauce. Now the Gabba members area is charging 50 cents for each sauce packet (as I found out personally at the Big Bash game at the Gabba on Sunday), oh the humanity my fellow members.

Taylor Walker to captain Adelaide... thought they would go someone who isn't dopey.
Where did you get that info?

Edit: Dont worry found it, looks like Sloane and Danger might be gone.

Last edited:
I'm sorry to report the days of wine and roses (and free sauce) are now over for Gabba members. Long did Gabba member enjoy taking free handfuls of sauce squeeze packets and frivolously dowsing our food with said sauce. Now the Gabba members area is charging 50 cents for each sauce packet (as I found out personally at the Big Bash game at the Gabba on Sunday), oh the humanity my fellow members.
I remember the days when we could get free sauce even on the peasant side of those majestic white fences of holiness. The year was twenty-ought and five, and sauce was shipped in from Mississippi ketchup farms by the Blake bros trading company. The sauce was pure, the sauce was rich, and Sauce Merrett had just debuted. It came in red, or brown, or white, or adcock. So many sauces. It never splurted all over your jeans when you squeezed it out, no, it always perfectly covered your food in such a glorious way that you just had to show people. But there was no instagram, no twitter, no, you had to capture its beauty in an oil painting if you wanted to show off to your fake friends what you were eating and how lucky you were to be at an inevitably sold out game of ball-foot, as we used to call it. Those were simpler times, saucier times, better times if you ask me.

Is it just me? Or nothing coming out of the BL camp atm
No media, no coverage of training, very little if anything at all.
Is the media department still on leave?
Whatever we seem to get of significance is from the fine supporters going to trying living in Brisbane..
Thanks guys!!
Anyway, that's my winge for today!!!!!

Is it just me? Or nothing coming out of the BL camp atm
No media, no coverage of training, very little if anything at all.
Is the media department still on leave?

Based on comments on social media, it seems the club parted ways with a couple of media officers at Christmas time (Clare Pettyfor being one of them). I think there will be bit of a lull until they are replaced. Steele Tallon is a jet but can't do it all.

Based on comments on social media, it seems the club parted ways with a couple of media officers at Christmas time (Clare Pettyfor being one of them). I think there will be bit of a lull until they are replaced. Steele Tallon is a jet but can't do it all.

It's also the time when many staff would be on annual leave. There's limited times of the year for them to do it and I can imagine with the circus the trade & draft periods have become that January is quietest time in footy. I call it The Big Sleep. The Japanese place nearby is usually stocked with Lions staffers around lunchtime but has been much quieter these past few weeks.

Looks like Steele is taking time off before getting stuck into the year; hasn't tweeted for about 5 days.
Not sorry to see Clare go TBH. Seemed lovely & all, but just didn't engage the public or fans at all. (Maybe some close/known members).
Probably wasn't really specifically part of her job description, but in a smallish organisation, those sort of roles should involve some active engagement IMO.

Jarrod Price may be in the same boat as Steele? Getting some down time in before a very busy start to the year. Interviews for his offsider and new media officer, at the end of the month means they'll both have new underlings to train etc. I think the Digital Media Co-ordinator is a new position to free Jarrod up a bit more and sounds like Clare's position has been redefined to incorporate more public and social media duties as well.

I reckon we'll see further improvement this year in social media, website and fan engagement, part of the grand plan.:thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The club has advertised 3 roles in that broader engagement space: http://www.lions.com.au/Club/about/careers

I think the Dec-Jan quiet time is a by-product of having an under-resourced administration. Without more resources, the club can't afford to keep business as usual and would be very much running a skeleton staff for back office. I'd imagine web/media stuff would be an area where they unfortunately would make sacrifices at this down time to help the bottom line.

Think the Brisbane sporting environment suits the club saving a bit and being quiet now, but aim to hit the ground running leading into the season. Any advertising now goes over the head of most bar the die hard fans anyway, people dont take notice until the season nearly starts.

Agree, given we've got the Asian cup and the Cricket world cup coming up shortly any work on that front right now would be a bit of a waste. Perfect time of the year to get your back end system changes and strategy for the new year done so that when it comes down to crunch time it goes as smoothly as possible. The nature of the job during season would be pretty demanding time wise with both weekend and weekday work so some time off for those involved would have to be top of the list right now. Its not like we've got a whole team of people in this area at the moment like a collingwood which has about 5 people in their media dept and another 3 in IT.

Agree, given we've got the Asian cup and the Cricket world cup coming up shortly any work on that front right now would be a bit of a waste. Perfect time of the year to get your back end system changes and strategy for the new year done so that when it comes down to crunch time it goes as smoothly as possible. The nature of the job during season would be pretty demanding time wise with both weekend and weekday work so some time off for those involved would have to be top of the list right now. Its not like we've got a whole team of people in this area at the moment like a collingwood which has about 5 people in their media dept and another 3 in IT.
Surprised we don't see more cross promotion really. A lot of expensive talent around that maybe could be secured on a contra basis. While the crickball fans are tuning in (an hour later than the rest of the country), why not have Heat players & sokka players endorsing the Lions for after their season has finished?
Likewise, Dan Rich & Rocky could be doing ads asking us to get behind The Heat.
There might have been a swag of BBL enthusiasts who having enjoyed the summer spectacle of sport at the Gabba, could be swayed into attending the venue throughout winter. All those cricket fans, being a captured audience are just waiting for James Hopes to tell them what to do when the circus leaves town.

6c65a31e-a6b5-4818-8616-2a883fd1b96e_625x352.jpg

Yes the asian cup, where somebody thought it would be good to give some idiots on Milton road stop signs, so they could randomly let traffic through on the side street and back the ICB up for 5 ks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back