Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Continued in Part 2

Nice, Elixuh - with the speed back.

I get 35 down, 1 up.

2.33 up is not bad ...

That's a very good upload speed, Skoob.

Yeah its good by Aus standards. 30mb/s upload would be mint. I don't know how much the downloads count for. In the past when I've done the test it sits at ~117mb/s but at ~99 it seems to make no difference.

35 down and 1 up is also good James North a lot of people I know have ~1-4mb/s down and ~0.5 or less up.

Nice, Elixuh - with the speed back.

I get 35 down, 1 up.

2.33 up is not bad ...

That's a very good upload speed, Skoob.
Well, you all know my limitations of understanding this stuff, so I dunno how it'll all work, but It's new around here and over the road don't have NBN; I wonder how increased traffic will affect these speeds as the rollout continues and subscriptions double.

For now, I am just happy that I can finally make use of the internet on my TV. I've got the Bigpond TV app (which is what I think is on T-Box), including an AFL channel, but the last 24 hours has been end to end Norf games.

Dat upload speed :cry:

I don't really know the intricacies of up & down speeds. Download is obvious, but I thought 'up' came into play more for gaming. Our use of the net is pretty much restricted to streaming video (the young bloke's a gamer, but not fussed about his "needs"). Would up speed affect downloading or streaming?

I don't really know the intricacies of up & down speeds. Download is obvious, but I thought 'up' came into play more for gaming. Our use of the net is pretty much restricted to streaming video (the young bloke's a gamer, but not fussed about his "needs"). Would up speed affect downloading or streaming?

As we become more cloud reliant uploads become more important. I'd love to start backing up all my raw images and video to my 1tb + onedrive but even with 2mbps uploads it's just too painful. Also uploads counting towards my data caps on Telstra cable makes it unrealistic.

You haven't bothered to go to the 100mbps Telstra cable James North?

Not sure! But you are correct about uploads and gaming. Even with my net if I'm playing console online it will give me the host so I think yours would be great for gaming as well.

For gaming my understanding is that you can have all the downloads in the world but a terrible upload = you'll be limited.

EDIT: by gaming I mean Aussie servers.

As we become more cloud reliant uploads become more important. I'd love to start backing up all my raw images and video to my 1tb + onedrive but even with 2mbps uploads it's just too painful. Also uploads counting towards my data caps on Telstra cable makes it unrealistic.

Yeah +1, except when the media are others speak about Aussie net uploads is never mentioned. All about the downloads which is misleading.

Not sure! But you are correct about uploads and gaming. Even with my net if I'm playing console online it will give me the host so I think yours would be great for gaming as well.

For gaming my understanding is that you can have all the downloads in the world but a terrible upload = you'll be limited.

EDIT: by gaming I mean Aussie servers.

Gaming is more reliant on a fast and consistent response time (referred to as a ping) most games don't actually send huge amounts of data, you just want communication between multiple computers and servers to be almost instant.

Uploads and downloads are about how many lanes the highway has. Response time is more about how short the trip is.

You haven't bothered to go to the 100mbps Telstra cable James North?

Yeah I've got backups and other stuff that would be great to send to Dropbox at a much faster rate, but I dunno ... I've got internet to pay at home and at the studio so I'm kinda double dipping with a lot of bills. Can't really justify it.

I had 100mbps on Optus and it was way worse than 30mbps is with Telstra, so I'm cool with it as is.

As Elixuh says, this is all relevant. The first time I went to Tokyo was back in 2006 and the connection I had in a small hotel there was 5mbps up and 100mbps down. That's almost 10 years ago!

Didn't know where else to put this (the vent thread looks like it was shelved 6 months ago), but in the excitement of some footy being just around the corner; I had a quick look at the upcoming TV guide.

It does not look like Foxtel will be televising the Brisbane v St Kilda game, and I doubt it'd be on Seven :(

Foxtel are televising Tigers vs. Dogs instead, which ironically is being played in Melbourne anyway. Jerks.

Didn't know where else to put this (the vent thread looks like it was shelved 6 months ago), but in the excitement of some footy being just around the corner; I had a quick look at the upcoming TV guide.

It does not look like Foxtel will be televising the Brisbane v St Kilda game, and I doubt it'd be on Seven :(

Foxtel are televising Tigers vs. Dogs instead, which ironically is being played in Melbourne anyway. Jerks.

I thought Foxtel advertised 'every nab cub game in live hd'? Maybe that was in previous years.

EDIT: you're right...http://www.afl.com.au/fixture/nab-challenge

It might be the case that the Lions or St Kilda stream the game. In any case I'm sure people from our board will be providing updates for those that can't get to the game.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't have Fox, but I'm pretty sure at least a couple were streamed, and I can't see Fox allowing that if they were broadcasting. (Talking only of our games here).
(Also, I think I'm thinking of last year. GWS in Canberra was one)
The Burpengary Swans game was streamed last year, wasn't it?

The Burpengary Swans game was streamed last year, wasn't it?
Not sure, I was there getting fried, you'll recall. Having said that, someone posted some highlights (I think) and they were very much focused on Sydney, so not sure if they were ripped off the net or amatuer/club footage (A Swans fan posted or linked them here somewhere).

View attachment 109826

Close $10 to kick the most goals for us. seems decent.
I'd happily chuck a cheeky tenner on Mayes, though Close really seems like the workhorse type and is determined to earn his spot. Could be a breakout season for the both of them

Yeah also Merrett has been publicly reported to play down back in defence this year.

Excellent market research, company whose income depends on researching markets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back