Football Related Random Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Continued in Part 2

Reading Woewodin's comments in Roster Watch, that man really loves the word "probably".
Bit harsh, only said it nine times in the one article...

Bit harsh, only said it nine times in the one article...

He probably looked like he probably had a probable quota of "probably"s of one per probable player each week. Probably.

maroon and blue

Slayer of sheep
Oct 5, 2004
melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
lions
Surely it would be closer to half of that.
Sadly your comment is true, after many years of honest endeavour our Australian Football Club still lags behind the english games. Brisbanites are fickle, the only support is the encrusted on Fitzroy supporters and others. Nothing will improve the situation, what's that , win 3 premierships in a row ,make millions of dollars, have lots of people at games. It's a lost cause. This is my club , my heritage , my grand childrens heritage, it deserves better. For some people this forum is a pompous reflection of their personalities but in reality it is a condemnation of where the proud Fitzroy Lions have ended up- we never chose this path.

Someone behind me on the bus just commented that "James North is a Lions fan but also a music producer". My internet/real-life barrier, which I treasure, is breaking down.

I was in a coffee shop in the Queen street mall with my wife and son, and was forced (by the gentleman's volume alone) to overhear a Lion's fan and a less aggressive Pies fan argue about the weekend's upcoming game. Lions-guy kept referring back to BigFooty threads "Well on BigFooty everyone says..." and "That's what I said on BigFooty and everyone agreed with me!"

I wanted to walk across and say "excuse me mate, I read the BigFooty stuff, I'm here for the Pies game, and I wouldn't be counting the chickens just yet". But of course didn't.

Unfortunately Lions-guy couldn't accept any form of reasoning from Pie-guy and argued his case for a sure-fire Lions win over and over. And over. When Pies-guy said something to the effect of 'easy on, we'll just have to see', Lions-guy merely increased his volume and then pre-emptively justified his bluster by saying 'oh come on, you'd be having a go at me if you were in my position', as if a Lions win was wholly inevitable.

I don't envy Lions-guy's follow up post-game conversation... But at that moment it was one of the rarest times when I found myself sympathising with a Pies fan.

Sadly your comment is true, after many years of honest endeavour our Australian Football Club still lags behind the english games. Brisbanites are fickle, the only support is the encrusted on Fitzroy supporters and others. Nothing will improve the situation, what's that , win 3 premierships in a row ,make millions of dollars, have lots of people at games. It's a lost cause. This is my club , my heritage , my grand childrens heritage, it deserves better. For some people this forum is a pompous reflection of their personalities but in reality it is a condemnation of where the proud Fitzroy Lions have ended up- we never chose this path.
Life deals cards m & b - bemoan the past, sit on the fence or look to the future?

I'll always try to make the most of the cards dealt... simplistic but I look at it as there is only one person in the world who is not worse off than anybody else. Pretty sure none of us reading this are that person.

Brisbanites fickle? How many pie members never turned up to last years MCG game? Fickle people are found EVERYWHERE!

maroon and blue

Slayer of sheep
Oct 5, 2004
melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
lions
Blynd fred: you are fickle by Victorian standards: no malice intended. And I'm not talking about you, you are rock solid, but you're in the minority. Just can't get a handle on Brisbane though I've been there many times. As far as Pies supporters go, they are thick on the ground, and I have grudging respect for them. They even named a suburb on the way to Ipswich after them.

Blynd fred: you are fickle by Victorian standards: no malice intended. And I'm not talking about you, you are rock solid, but you're in the minority. Just can't get a handle on Brisbane though I've been there many times. As far as Pies supporters go, they are thick on the ground, and I have grudging respect for them. They even named a suburb on the way to Ipswich after them.
Cheers, will take the back handed compliment on the chin.

Just trying to suggest to others that the path to 'rock solid' ain't that hard to walk. ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

maroon and blue

Slayer of sheep
Oct 5, 2004
melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
lions
Probably not the thread but I strongly disagree with this statement. General punters in Brisbane will turn up for big sporting events whether it be football, rugby, league or cricket. True attending every match home and away is a big ask, even the Broncos don't get that. But there are at least 10k dedicated loyal members up here many of which have NO bond to Melbourne or Fizroy but love AFL and the Brisbane Lions.
This really is sad.

Skoob

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 6, 2010
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Someone behind me on the bus just commented that "James North is a Lions fan but also a music producer". My internet/real-life barrier, which I treasure, is breaking down.
He's quite famous you know.
It illustrates how small our community (staunch Lions fans) is. Either that, or you're being stalked by a BF poster who is now taunting you on the bus.

James North

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 18, 2013
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
It's still going then?
Wrapped yet?

Not yet, but going to see the guy tomorrow.

It has red seats, as my promotions team indicates below:

Screen Shot 2015-04-15 at 7.07.54 pm.png

Only cos you can't afford it.

Nobody in Brisbane can afford the bus, Kez.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back