Football Related Random Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Continued in Part 2

My promotional and marketing team have been trying to make it public that I have a Nissan Cube. I don't ride the bus ...

You have 30 minutes to move your cube.

That is strange, Kevvo.

Even stranger is that it's either cool to be a Lions fan and not cool to be a music producer ... or visa versa.

Some people are just narrow minded I guess.

$100 it was actually James behind you on the bus Kevvo.

That was my starting assumption. I figure that'd be how most entertainment professionals find work.

Sadly your comment is true, after many years of honest endeavour our Australian Football Club still lags behind the english games. Brisbanites are fickle, the only support is the encrusted on Fitzroy supporters and others. Nothing will improve the situation, what's that , win 3 premierships in a row ,make millions of dollars, have lots of people at games. It's a lost cause. This is my club , my heritage , my grand childrens heritage, it deserves better. For some people this forum is a pompous reflection of their personalities but in reality it is a condemnation of where the proud Fitzroy Lions have ended up- we never chose this path.

Let's be honest though, it was the Brisbanites who got the original lion back on the guernsey while you kept telling all & sundry that all the team needed was a jog around the historical streets of Fitzroy to improve the win-loss ratio. Fickle eh, lmao.

AFL/VFL hasn't been thing up here for very long at all. Back in the VFL days the Bears sucked, as most of us know, and the home ground was on the Gold Coast. The Bears started around 30 years ago.

There has barely been enough time for cross-generational fans in the same family, and there would be even fewer situations where a person has supported a Brisbane AFL team for their whole lives and now their child/ren do as well.

As a QLD kid, AFL was a joke and idiot pretty boys who pranced around with short shorts was how we saw the game.

Just had a look at average fickle crowds:

Crowd averages for 2013 (bad year for us, Melbourne Storm however were reigning premiers).

Lions Average at the Gabba: 21,083
Storm Average at AAMI: 16,302

I think considering I'm not old and how far we've come - fickle is a tough call for Brisbanites at the AFL.

Last edited:
I heard nightingale from the St George dragons on radio this afternoon and he was talking about changes to their fitness regime down there. For those of you who don't know league St George haven't been scored against in the last 20 mins of any game this season. He was asked about their improved tackling late in games and said it was not down to more fitness work but training on tackling later in sessions when they were fatigued. He said that way they were more aware of what their bodies could do take wise when under severe fatigue which helped with positioning and timing come game time. I found it an interesting concept on how sometimes it's not about training the body to do more but training the mind to know how the body will react in such a situation.

Did have me wondering if we do much close in ball ground work under high fatigue loads in training. I usually only see parts of training sessions so I would be interested to hear whether we do running first and then skill work once we're tired, or the other way around.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The following are my anthems for the Lions 2015 season:
- Baba O'Riley by The Who (all we seem to be these days is a teenage wasteland where draftees serve a couple of years duty and then fly the coup)
- and Won't Get Fooled Again, also by The Who (year after year there is the promise of change / hope that we will get better, but it seems like we always get fooled)

At the very least they are great songs to get you pumped up before a game. Perhaps our players should try them!

Went to MCG on Saturday to the Carlton - Essendon game.

Grandson was in the Auskick program from Carlton/Fitzroy Auskick.

The ex-Lions players were very prominent - Doherty is good player - limited leadership though - definitely in top 5 players for Carlton.

Henderson is a gun - not supported by his teammates - seems to get the ball a lot but limited results.

Wood is a journeyman/ruckman - gets into the middle bounces OK but not so good when he has to think about what he has to do.

Bell is pretty limited - makes up the number.

The rest of Carlton are struggling - probably not as much as the Lions just now but a few of their players are pretty slow and only caught up to Essendon in the last quarter.

A lot of Carlton supporters left at 3/4 time - even some of the cheer squad stayed in the bar.

I am not sure if the Lions could defeat either of these teams - Essendon have a very good game plan - as well as Watson and Goddard - a class above the rest.

Judd is cooked - goes in bursts - then disappears.

At least Fitzroy was mentioned during the Auskick - no sign of a mention at Brunny Oval.

The following are my anthems for the Lions 2015 season:
- Baba O'Riley by The Who (all we seem to be these days is a teenage wasteland where draftees serve a couple of years duty and then fly the coup)
- and Won't Get Fooled Again, also by The Who (year after year there is the promise of change / hope that we will get better, but it seems like we always get fooled)

At the very least they are great songs to get you pumped up before a game. Perhaps our players should try them!

Oh dear - when I looked at the first you tube there I thought the main singer guy was a girl :$ *it is not my night so far*

If the trade period goes well I dream that our team looks like this round 1 2016.

FB: Gardiner - Merrett - Clarke
HB: Hanley - Rance - CBeams
C: DBeams - Rich - Zorko
HF: McStay - Dixon - Freeman
FF: Green - Luey - Taylor
Fol: Martin - Rockcliff - Redden

Bench Aish, Christensen, Paparone

Just dreamin.

So my sister was going through some old boxes that her ex-husband left behind twelve years ago. Inside one of the bigger cartons was this..

o8a1zs.jpg

She asked me if I wanted it... my immediate thought.

tumblr_lxmd5y48iu1r3poogo1_500.png

Did anyone else see Chooseday night football on Fox Footy last night?

It was a great 1 hour highlight package of a game from round 11, 2000 at the SCG when the Lions beat the Swans by 3 points after at one stage being down by 31 points in the 3rd quarter.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl...sydney-from-2000/story-e6frf3e3-1227313065888
http://afltables.com/afl/stats/games/2000/161920000521.html

It was really great to see:
- Blacky and Power were awesome even though it was only their third year. I forgot how fast they were when they were young.
- Lynch and Johnno also looked so much better / faster than they got right at the end of their careers
- I also had forgotten how good McRae was and how important he was to our team
- God I loved Molly (Jarred Molloy) and his hard bustling play, even though he could sometimes really stuff up. It was disappointing he didn't get to play in the Premiership (obviously we got Mal Michael instead, which helped out defence)
- some new kid call J. Brown played most of the game at centre-half bench with a rug on his legs (he got one disposal and spent most of the time off the ground by the looks of it - back in the day when there were probably a dozen interchanges a match).
- Damien Cupido looked brilliant in his first game. What a waste of talent!

Interestingly, only 13 players in the side that beat Sydney in 2000 went on to play in the 2001 premiership.
- Kennedy, Lambert and Champion retired
- Molloy got traded for Mal Michael at the end of 2000
- Picken, Craig Bolton, Cupido, Shattock and Brett Voss stayed on our list for a little while but ultimately were all traded or delisted

In terms of who came in to the side for the first premiership, it was:
- Keating, Bradshaw, Ashcroft, Notting, Brad & Chris Scott - already on our list but must of been out injured/not selected for the 2000 Sydney game
- Pike, Mal Michael - from other clubs
- Copeland - came on to our list in 2001 (as a rookie list selection I think)

Last edited:
Are you a travelling prostitute?
Ha ha... no. Just had to go to a regional area (during school holidays on short notice), and the only place left was a caravan. Thankfully I got my own room away from the other two.

Hmmm, travelling prostitute? Do you get to pick and choose your clientele? I could be up for a career move

Ha ha... no. Just had to go to a regional area (during school holidays on short notice), and the only place left was a caravan. Thankfully I got my own room away from the other two.

Hmmm, travelling prostitute? Do you get to pick and choose your clientele? I could be up for a career move
Ring 1800 IPIMP4U speak to Tairy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back