Football Related Random Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Continued in Part 2

Did anyone else see Chooseday night football on Fox Footy last night?

It was a great 1 hour highlight package of a game from round 11, 2000 at the SCG when the Lions beat the Swans by 3 points after at one stage being down by 31 points in the 3rd quarter.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl...sydney-from-2000/story-e6frf3e3-1227313065888
http://afltables.com/afl/stats/games/2000/161920000521.html

It was really great to see:
- Blacky and Power were awesome even though it was only their third year. I forgot how fast they were when they were young.
- Lynch and Johnno also looked so much better / faster than they got right at the end of their careers
- I also had forgotten how good McRae was and how important he was to our team
- God I loved Molly (Jarred Molloy) and his hard bustling play, even though he could sometimes really stuff up. It was disappointing he didn't get to play in the Premiership (obviously we got Mal Michael instead, which helped out defence)
- some new kid call J. Brown played most of the game at centre-half bench with a rug on his legs (he got one disposal and spent most of the time off the ground by the looks of it - back in the day when there were probably a dozen interchanges a match).
- Damien Cupido looked brilliant in his first game. What a waste of talent!

Interestingly, only 13 players in the side that beat Sydney in 2000 went on to play in the 2001 premiership.
- Kennedy, Lambert and Champion retired
- Molloy got traded for Mal Michael at the end of 2000
- Picken, Craig Bolton, Cupido, Shattock and Brett Voss stayed on our list for a little while but ultimately were all traded or delisted

In terms of who came in to the side for the first premiership, it was:
- Keating, Bradshaw, Ashcroft, Notting, Brad & Chris Scott - already on our list but must of been out injured/not selected for the 2000 Sydney game
- Pike, Mal Michael - from other clubs
- Copeland - came on to our list in 2001 (as a rookie list selection I think)

I watched the last approximate half hour.....just shows what the "never give up" attitude can achieve. Only got a glimpse of JB on the bench. They all looked like babies!!

The one that surprised me was Lynchy, he hasn't changed one bit, still looks the same.

..and how good did Cupido play? As you say, what a waste!.

I was hoping our current boys were watching as well. Was a great game to learn from.

Has anyone seen or heard of this?
http://www.c31.org.au/program/view/program/thats-good-for-footy
That's Good For Footy presents Footy Fanatics, a live AFL footy panel show.

Join host Tony Shaw as he is joined each week by two current day players from each of the Victorian AFL clubs
On Channel 31, I find it ironic that a show made in Victoria, by Victorians, with guests from only Victorian teams, can be described as "good for footy".

14 years on bigfooty today. My life is passing by quickly. Go Lions.

I was stunned to find out I'd been a mod for over a year already. Time flies when you're drugged out of your mind. :p

Anyone hear Ling say that another Cats player (forget who) has had a son born this week......their premiership team have now produced 20 sons for the future.

Ling said only need another two and we have a whole team. Must be something in the water down Geelong way. I don't think any other team comes close to Geelong for F/S

We'd probably have around that number from our premiership side.

Chris Johnson and Daniel Bradshaw alone have 3 sons each. Browny and Vossy one each. Blacky 2. McGrath, Copeland and Notting all have sons too. That's just the tip of the iceberg.

We'd probably have around that number from our premiership side.

Chris Johnson and Daniel Bradshaw alone have 3 sons each. Browny and Vossy one each. Blacky 2. McGrath, Copeland and Notting all have sons too. That's just the tip of the iceberg.

White's got something like 30 as well (well, at least three).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How frustrating is it watching neutral team games nowadays with the number of ex brisbane players out there...

Today carlton v saints had Docherty, longer, Henderson and even cam wood. Crisp at the pies and Polec playing well for port v hawthorn.

Every game seems to have someone.

How frustrating is it watching neutral team games nowadays with the number of ex brisbane players out there...

Today carlton v saints had Docherty, longer, Henderson and even cam wood. Crisp at the pies and Polec playing well for port v hawthorn.

Actually used to be worse. A few years back I made a list and we have something like 2/3rds of the teams had an ex-Lion.

Edit: There were only three clubs without an ex-Lions player on their list in 2010.

At Manuka today watching GWS v Gold Coast and two of the most prominent players on the field were Brisbane B&F winners.

At Manuka today watching GWS v Gold Coast and two of the most prominent players on the field were Brisbane B&F winners.

It has been easy to forget some of our losses but I find myself having a lot of what its about our past players at the moment. Would really like a win tomorrow to feel like we are headed in the right direction again.

Because of the hey at the end my mind read your post in the voice of Dennis Cometti.
Even though whatboutbob didn't post that my next thought was - bob like a cork in the ocean - again with the voice of DC.

Still won't beat his call of the nude Meredith Gift a couple of years back... What's said a Festival stays at a festival... but apparent what's seen cannot be unseen - open with CARE!

Gift-IMG_1795.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back