Football Related Random Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Continued in Part 2

Think it'd be good for a lot of people on not just this board but this entire forum to read this article. A healthy reminder that footballers are ordinary people who are impacted exactly the same as anyone else would be.

Social Media is the AFL's most Damaging Opponent

Eh, I liked that the article drew attention to the issue of internet abuse/trolling as directed to players and the consequences it can have...but some of the conclusions it drew I don't fully accept.

Robbo points to the more extreme examples, i.e. Watts where the abuse is extreme and crosses the line between legitimate criticism and anonymous over the internet abuse/trolling. This kind of stuff needs to be directly controlled internally by the relevant clubs in terms of player welfare in educating them on what to expect if they decide to read social media or enter the discussion, so to speak.

My opinion is that I don't think the majority of the anxiety / stress / depression (etc) referred to in the article comes from over the top abuse by fans (swearing at players etc) unless it reaches the level of Jack Watts. 20 tweets saying "**** **** [player x]" - I mean so what. I would have thought a lot of the potential problems Robbo highlights develop as a result of high levels of negative criticism and analysis being levelled at players both in the media and on social media/forums. TV/print/internet you can't escape it and I reckon after a while the points people are making via legitimate criticism/analysis may be bought into by certain players.

I agree that abuse/trolling can be extreme and is usually completely unwarranted/over the top. Negative criticism and analysis however is a part of the industry that these players are employed in - it comes with the job.

Of course Elixuh - they're in the public spotlight so not free of criticism. I just think that criticism has to remain related purely to what they do on the football field. Not, for example, the fact they might choose to eat Subway occasionally.

To be honest, as dirty as I was at the GH5, I thought the anger on this board crossed the line towards them. At the end of the day they were all just kids who struggled to settle into a new environment and had loved ones back home wanting them back. It doesn't make them 'spineless' or anything along those lines.

Obviously supporting a footy team is a big emotional investment and escape for all of us, but the line between appropriate football criticism and plain harassment is a fine one it seems. I feel for James Aish who's going through it on social media a lot at the moment. Couldn't really blame him for wanting to leave with some of the things I've seen him cop. Same stuff Dayne Beams got at the end of last year.

The setting up to shepherd the man on the mark "tactic" shits me so much. Surely if the person taking the free kick is sacrosanct and generates a 50 if they're encroached upon, similar should be granted to the other player that effectively has to be there. A free kick if someone's within the same area as the man on the mark would clean that up.

Does anyone else think GoD dyes his hair? I'm half his age and have more greys then he does

Grill'd Camp Hill is turning out to be quite the Lions spotting location. Dizzy and Squizzy turned up first and ordered. Rohan Bewick turned up after that and my young fella dragged me up so he could say hello.
Squizzy happily chatted away to my boy and Bewick
Asked if he went to the game in the weekend.
I told Dizzy we all wanted to see him get into Jake Carlisle and he gave me a dry grin and said he'd see what he could do.
As we left my son asked for a photo and they happily obliged. Good sports all round.
Close and Bourke turned up as we were leaving.

Funnily enough I was going to go to Camp Hill Grill'd today for lunch. We decided on sushi instead.

Was Dizzy still strapped up in tape to keep his body body from falling apart :p

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He was wearing a light rain jacket thing. Squizzy did adorably clip the hood back on when it fell off.

Seriously though, all top young men. Did feel old when I explained to my 11 yo they were closer to his age than mine. Having said that the lovely young women who work in the coffee shop downstairs in my building made me realize that a few years ago. :-/

Only just realised that Phil Walsh played for the Brisbane Bears for a couple of years. That makes 7 of the current senior AFL coaches that played at Brisbane. Leppitsch, Scott x 2, Lyon, Eade, Walsh, Buckley. Coach factory! :)
How dare people say we are irrelevant.
We are spreading our culture all over the AFL

Here's something random. Just a bit of curiosity, hope no one minds.

Are most of you guys ex-Fitzroy supporters or born and bread in Queensland?

I only ask because I've got a few mates that went for Fitzroy, most that now barrack for Brisbane but my brother was a Fitzroy fanatic and doesn't really barrack for anyone now.

I only ask because I've got a few mates that went for Fitzroy, most that now barrack for Brisbane but my brother was a Fitzroy fanatic and doesn't really barrack for anyone now.

Personally was born in Vic and left at a young Richmond supporting age in '77 then no VFL/AFL until early 2001 when I started supporting the Lions ... but feel a stronger connection to Fitzroy than I do to the Bears ...

I was born in Qld but I now eat my bread in Melbourne.

I was born in Qld but I now eat my bread in Melbourne.
MDM_02-12-2011_ROP_02_MKY011211sizzler_fct837x515x82_t620.jpg

Now that's mean, I'm inclined to feel a bit sorry for Tairy there. Don't get me wrong, I'm laughing, but with a tinge of sadness. Geez I could go some of that toast for lunch, there's one just up the road.

I would say the majority on here are Queenslanders, but there are still a fair few ex-roys on here.

I remember seeing an article, not entirely certain of the figures I think it read of the ex-Fitzroy base 40% Support Brisbane, 10% North Melbourne, 10% other clubs & 40% don't follow AFL at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back