The Flying Doormat

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 5, 2008
Carrickalinga
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tranmere Rovers
The funny thing is - we are probably closer to a flag now that we were 6-8 weeks ago.

Our list was not up to it (ie: a premiership) so we re-stack the list. The worst thing that could happen was we just stagnated around 8-10 wins a year, finish mid-table and trick ourselves into thinking we were close (in my opinion)

I like your optimism. If the rot continues you can also factor in the fast-tracking of younger players.

Sep 27, 2004
Dr Geoffrey Edelsten's jacuzzi
AFL Club
Carlton
Why this year's AFL draft looks the most even in years
The good news for Melbourne, Brisbane and Carlton, should they not revive themselves, is that clubs looking for a (top quality) tall will get one, even if they finish in the bottom five, six or seven.

They won't have to do any crazy trading to make it happen, either, and it's easy to see that neither the Blues nor the Demons would feel too wrought if Bryce Gibbs and James Frawley happened to deliver first round free agency picks, considering where those clubs sit on the contention scale.
Why this year's AFL draft looks the most even in years

First round draft pick after making the Pies and Swans use their first round pick onMoore and Heeney.

Win-win for the rest of the AFL.

Any knowledge on the draft prospects this year Dramoth? Our players you would target say Gibbs decides to leave and we're left with picks ~3-4
I am only getting what I am reading in stories about the draft prospects and from what a couple of the other regulars who are floating about the TAC games.

I am more concerned about next year really... if all of Jake Bradley, Jack Silvagni and Bailey Rice turnout to be top class, we will have to choose which one we want. If Bailey turns out as tough as his old man, the Aints are going to be right up there hunting for him as well... which could mean that if we wanted him, we would have to go first round on him. Which means that another side could come walking in and snaffle up Jack and Jake... if they end up being half as good as their dads.

But this year, I am leaning towards that ready made ranga, Peter Wright(the guy on the right in the pic below). Could be the second coming of Big Red if he fell through to us. Wright appears to be a serious upgrade on Casboult as he can play up front or in the ruck.

1397721515877.jpg-620x349.jpg

Sam Durdin (a tall defender... the one on the left) could also come into our considerations if Gibbs leaves. Durdin will take a bit of time to get up and going, but looking at that picture, Wright could come straight into the side and start as KPF from day one.

It would be interesting if Melbourne somehow fell below us again and finished on the bottom of the ladder and we rolled into 17th (and we would have the AFL crawling up our arses to see if we were tanking this year)... It could end up being Melbourne 1,2,3 (If Frawley leaves and they get a priority pick) with Carlton having 4 and 5 (If Gibbs leaves).

Oh... Hugh is apparently a 195cm tall forward. So he might come into play as well.

Thanks Dram but for mine that photo puts new meaning into the term Draft CAMP!? :D :confused:
Look... it's really very innocent... Durdin is playing connect the dots on the ranga... he is even sunburnt on the palms of his hands it looks like.

BIGGUS 64

Premiership Player
Feb 3, 2014
Greensborough
AFL Club
Carlton
Yes - but don't you know? It's arrogance, trapped in the '80s and a 'quick fix culture' when Carlton do it.

When other clubs do it, it's smart trading.

Yep, they can say what they like, but this was our best trade season in years. All quality players with plenty of years left in them and plenty of upside - with the exception of Daisy - he just needs to get back to his best, and that will be fantastic. I believe he will.

It's not like we traded in ex-Geelong forwards who are already the wrong side of 30, like a couple of teams we could mention.

No, we traded for the future - that's what was most encouraging.
Things may still get worse before they get better, but I think things will get better and we're heading in the right direction now.

HalloweenJack

All Australian
Mar 19, 2010
Canberra
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
West Perth Arsenal New York Yankees
I am only getting what I am reading in stories about the draft prospects and from what a couple of the other regulars who are floating about the TAC games.

I am more concerned about next year really... if all of Jake Bradley, Jack Silvagni and Bailey Rice turnout to be top class, we will have to choose which one we want. If Bailey turns out as tough as his old man, the Aints are going to be right up there hunting for him as well... which could mean that if we wanted him, we would have to go first round on him. Which means that another side could come walking in and snaffle up Jack and Jake... if they end up being half as good as their dads.

Why can't we pick them all or 2 just like the Western Bulldogs did in the 2010 Draft with Mitch Wallis and Tom Liberatore?

Jul 25, 2008
The Linc
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Oakland Raiders
A family member of mine use to work at the club (they left the club January this year), and often commented on it's poor culture, not just the player culture, but the general workplace culture as well. The players are treated like gods, regular staff (admin, membership assistants) can't even say hi to them (it's actually a rule). This is the first problem, the players are just one part of a much bigger team within the club, but they are not taught that when they walk in the door for the 1st time. I was at the Westpac center once, God help me know lol, and Chris Dawes walked in, smiled at the receptionist and said good morning Sandra (or whatever her name was). There was a sense of unity, everyone in the club is part of the team, not just the players.

Which department was it that your family member worked in? Because two friends of mine work for the club in admin roles and have polar opposite interactions with the playing group. One has even been encouraged to train with the playing group by an unnamed assistant coach and did so.

invinciBlues

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
Dylan Buckley Bandwagon
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Coney Island Warriors

Has there been a change to the auction type rule? I thought so long as you offer your next available pick to a player that has nominated as a F/S its all cruisey. Unless there's been a change or something I dont understand, then it doesnt need to be like for like (first round pick for first round pick), you just offer up the next available, even if its a second, third, fourth, ..., rounder.

Potentially this stacks it in our favour more than it doesnt. If three clubs all value these guys as first rounders then we could come out massive winners. Of course, then the wants vs needs argument comes into play.

ItsAllAboutMe

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 22, 2006
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur

But this year, I am leaning towards that ready made ranga, Peter Wright(the guy on the right in the pic below). Could be the second coming of Big Red if he fell through to us. Wright appears to be a serious upgrade on Casboult as he can play up front or in the ruck.

Sam Durdin (a tall defender... the one on the left) could also come into our considerations if Gibbs leaves. Durdin will take a bit of time to get up and going, but looking at that picture, Wright could come straight into the side and start as KPF from day one.

It would be interesting if Melbourne somehow fell below us again and finished on the bottom of the ladder and we rolled into 17th (and we would have the AFL crawling up our arses to see if we were tanking this year)... It could end up being Melbourne 1,2,3 (If Frawley leaves and they get a priority pick) with Carlton having 4 and 5 (If Gibbs leaves).

Oh... Hugh is apparently a 195cm tall forward. So he might come into play as well.

Wright I am not that keen on, the whole ruckmen who plays fwd concerns me, we already have one of those

Kensa Carter

Team Captain
May 8, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
Wright I am not that keen on, the whole ruckmen who plays fwd concerns me, we already have one of those

Difficult to judge without seeing/hearing more.

I completely wrote off Jackson Macrae. Every year they roll out a "this year's Pendlebury". I thought the kid was odds on more Kane Lucas!

ItsAllAboutMe

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 22, 2006
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
Spot on. Really difficult to achieve those picks without decimating the list like St Kilda.

We'll probably draft three and trade 3 again.
Yeah very unlikely as we don't really have anything as valuable as Dal Santo that we would be prepared to lose. Best we can hope for is 2 in the top 10 with the Gibbs compo.

Red Bull

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 29, 2010
mornington peninsula
AFL Club
Carlton
Seriously, tell me what Kernahan, McKay & Swann are trying to save themselves from. Or were you just parroting what the media was reporting (the same media that has suggested both Tom Elliott & Fraser Brown were considering putting their hands up for the club presidency, only to have both individuals deny any such interest).

There is nothing the media likes more than to chip away at a club who is having a bad time of it, until they score some scalps. The fact the media have been running headlines along the lines of Kernahan facing the chop, when we all know he stated last year that 2014 would be his last year at the helm of the club & he has subsequently advised he will be standing down after the 150th celebration just gives you a good idea of the misinformation the media peddle. They target an audience of uninformed or disinterested supporters of the club to help build momentum & then they speak to a high profile dial-a-quote supporter & it rolls on from there.

By all means though if you would rather believe the likes of Wilson, Pierik, Connolly etc over the actual individuals involved, go for it. You will be among those who ensure these sharks remain gainfully employed.

Mediumsizered i coundnt give a flying .... what the media say re Carlton .
I have no time for thier lazy incompetant style , on that we agree !!

Im well aware Kernahan is stepping down this year ... its long overdue , so yes , if it makes you feel better , at this late stage probably nothing to save himself from .

Swann and Mckay though still very much on the payroll !!

The club is in terrible shape both on and off field ... to deny this is just plain wrong !!
Burying heads in the sand and unconditional support wont help the situation .

These three men are instrumental in the running of the club ...
Again , its all there on the table for all to see and its just not good enough !!

Nov 11, 2005
Queensland
AFL Club
Carlton
Mediumsizered i coundnt give a flying .... what the media say re Carlton .
I have no time for thier lazy incompetant style , on that we agree !!

Im well aware Kernahan is stepping down this year ... its long overdue , so yes , if it makes you feel better , at this late stage probably nothing to save himself from .

The club is in terrible shape both on and off field ... to deny this is just plain wrong !!

Again , its all there on the table for all to see and its just not good enough !!
How you can say the club is in terrible shape off field, on the basis of losing 4 games on the field, is beyond me. Where were all these suggestions 7 months ago after we beat Richmond in the EF.

It is funny how a poor start to the season onfield, suddenly turns the whole club into being a mess. Is Sydney in terrible shape off field, because they have lost 3 of their first 4 games? How about Richmond, whose only wins so far have been against the current bottom 2 & they have struggled in both games? Are they a mess off field? Adelaide? Lost their first 3 games? Are they in terrible shape off field?

You clearly are giving a flying * about what the media are saying, because they are jumping at shadows to try & stir up an off field crisis, when the reality is quite different. You wouldn't even know what was happening off field at the club if the media weren't stirring this up.

BTW, just remember with Swann he was offered a 4 year deal to move to St Kilda, a guaranteed tenure he doesn't have at Carlton, where he is on year to year deals. Please tell me, what is it he is saving himself from?

Actually, we have an injured tractor who could be one of the dominant rucks in the game, 206 pinches of s**t, a Collingwood Journeyman and Levi & Rowie.

I find this very difficult to disagree with - save for this - you have a talent for understatement when it comes to this right royal total waste of time and effort and serious coin.

Red Bull

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 29, 2010
mornington peninsula
AFL Club
Carlton
How you can say the club is in terrible shape off field, on the basis of losing 4 games on the field, is beyond me. Where were all these suggestions 7 months ago after we beat Richmond in the EF.

It is funny how a poor start to the season onfield, suddenly turns the whole club into being a mess. Is Sydney in terrible shape off field, because they have lost 3 of their first 4 games? How about Richmond, whose only wins so far have been against the current bottom 2 & they have struggled in both games? Are they a mess off field? Adelaide? Lost their first 3 games? Are they in terrible shape off field?

You clearly are giving a flying **** about what the media are saying, because they are jumping at shadows to try & stir up an off field crisis, when the reality is quite different. You wouldn't even know what was happening off field at the club if the media weren't stirring this up.

BTW, just remember with Swann he was offered a 4 year deal to move to St Kilda, a guaranteed tenure he doesn't have at Carlton, where he is on year to year deals. Please tell me, what is it he is saving himself from?

Where did i say the club is in terrible shape off the field on the basis of a 0-4 start to the season ??
YOU said that !!

Just for starters though :

* Board stacked with factional puppets
* Stagnant membership way below acceptable level
* Failed drafting (2013 effort still to be seen)
* Failed development
* No blockbuster games
* Poor interaction with members/supporters
etc etc etc ...

I certainly dont need the media to keep me up to speed with the goings on at Carlton
Its all there on the table for anyone with eyes and ears !!
And please dont presume to know what i know re whats happening off field at the club ...

P.S. Re Swann going to St.kilda ...

Would anyone in thier right mind go to St.Kilda ?? ... Would YOU go to St.Kilda ??
Hardly the greatest career move ,
Never said Swann was stupid ... lazy on the other hand ??

Aug 26, 2004
CHANEL BOUTIQUE!
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
"Goddess"
Where did i say the club is in terrible shape off the field on the basis of a 0-4 start to the season ??
YOU said that !!

I believe you said it in this post .........

Back