Johann Wagner

Remove this Banner Ad

Can someone clear up the voting.

Did only 3 clubs nominate Wagner? Does that mean of the other 2 finalists at the absolute max there was only 7 nominations total, 2 max for moreland and forster and 3 for yoey?

Not many votes, thats pretty damning for the next season.

Very crazy there was such minimal nominations, but I personally think we went for him totally on the basis that Burgo liked him from the first trial he saw him.

Sorry to intrude guys, been watching the show closely throughout and since the first episode Yoey has been head and shoulders above the rest. I think you guys should be stoked that you get him for practically nothing, elite pace and has a good size too.

Would be a massive effort if he could break into your side one day, I will be watching him closely either way. Well done on the pickup.

Ok, so Fox pays for Wags for 1 year, then we have the option to keep him and offer him a new contract?

Haven't really seen much of him, is he expected to push for selection next year and get a game or 2, or just spend the year developing?

Thought this was a (surprisingly) great little show and it's a super look that we ended up with the winner. Johannes was the head and shoulders favourite from the first episode and came across as a good lad too, willing to work hard, with all the attributes and very coachable.

Plus he can run! Will suit our club down to the ground.

Can someone clear up the voting.

Did only 3 clubs nominate Wagner? Does that mean of the other 2 finalists at the absolute max there was only 7 nominations total, 2 max for moreland and forster and 3 for yoey?

Not many votes, thats pretty damning for the next season.

Very crazy there was such minimal nominations, but I personally think we went for him totally on the basis that Burgo liked him from the first trial he saw him.

pretty sure every club voted 3-2-1, Wagner got the most

Where does he come from originally on the EP? Sam Gray played for Rudall (which then merged with Cleve and are now Eastern Ranges), is he from the same area as Gray?
JOHANN WAGNER
Home town:
Port Lincoln, South Australia
Position: Forward
Height: 189.5cm
Weight: 86.5kg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well done Yoey, was a lock for the win but I'm surprised he chose Port. Stoked for him, hope he can impress. Got some speed behind him that's for sure

pretty sure every club voted 3-2-1, Wagner got the most
Oh ok that makes sense. So do you know why he only had 3 teams to choose from then? Was there a separate vote and selection phase. ie. give Johann 3 votes but state that you dont want to recruit him?

So this kid is a Port supporter! Havnt watched any of this, is he any good?
You didn't really get to see much footy. Little fragments for the flavour of it, but most of the judgement was from their peers and the officials running the show.

Oh ok that makes sense. So do you know why he only had 3 teams to choose from then? Was there a separate vote and selection phase. ie. give Johann 3 votes but state that you dont want to recruit him?
pretty sure all clubs voted 3-2-1, then each club got the option to draft the winner.
18 clubs could have voted him the best of the 3 but not all would have wanted him, seemed pretty common knowledge he'd pick Port if they wanted him so other clubs probably chose not to bother

does anyone know how the timing of this show overlapped with that monster ruckman from the US coming to town? we only have room for 1 catB rookie, would have been interesting the thinking behind this. ie if it was already recorded up to this point by june when the american came Burgess/the club may have had a solid idea that Wagner was a chance.

We can have up to 3 cat B rookies. Flynn and now Wagner still leaves us with 1 free spot.

Welcome to the club yoey!

I don't know anything about the guy and haven't watched any of The Recruit. Does anyone have any info on the guy, height size etc. Also who role is he best suited for?

Closest comparison I can think of from our list is a taller Matt White. 190cm, quick, fit, good goal sense. Remains to be seen whether he can transfer his tools to AFL level, but if he ends up anything like White then we've done well, especially with the AFL paying for his contract and him not costing us a list spot. We can't lose. Either he makes it, or he doesn't but he costs us literally nothing and gives us some free publicity along the way.

Well done Yoey, was a lock for the win but I'm surprised he chose Port. Stoked for him, hope he can impress. Got some speed behind him that's for sure

He's been a Port supporter since childhood. They showed a letter on the show that he'd written as a ten year old saying he wanted to play for Port (technically he said Port Power, but he was ten, we can forgive him :p) when he grew up.

Correct. Each club voted 3-2-1 on who should win. Then each club voted yes/no on whether they would draft him. Not everyone that would have given him 3 votes would consider drafting him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back