Johann Wagner

Remove this Banner Ad

pretty sure all clubs voted 3-2-1, then each club got the option to draft the winner.
18 clubs could have voted him the best of the 3 but not all would have wanted him, seemed pretty common knowledge he'd pick Port if they wanted him so other clubs probably chose not to bother
Yeah I thought the same about the other clubs choosing not to nominate, they probably didn't want to be seen on national TV as a less attractive destination than Port when he was always going to pick us being an SA lad & Port supporter.

Wagner was easily the best player of the bunch he'd crack a rookie spot on most other clubs lists, i'd trust Burgo & Voss' eye for talent in this instance & no doubt there was some talent in that show when Geelong signed up the big irishman on a 2 year rookie deal today.

Hopefully takes Mitchell's spot, his endurance testing vs Afl bodies will be very interesting

Nope he is like Flynn ie an extra rookie to the 44 we are allowed. Category B rookies are extras. So as Flynn got a 2 year international rookie contract we have 46 on the list next year.

Nope he is like Flynn ie an extra rookie to the 44 we are allowed. Category B rookies are extras. So as Flynn got a 2 year international rookie contract we have 46 on the list next year.

Was moreso in positional sense, another HFF with endurance (but this time with height) is hopefully his goal position in afl team

The aboriginal boy Waylen wasn't it is the only player out of that show that I'd entertain picking up.The rest of em are just plain, vanilla footballers in my eyes

Agreed!
I'd like to see Waylen over here as a academy player for the club.. See what Ken can do with him!

Already hearing the cries of the #RealFooty people.

He has played 2 SANFL games in his life and now he's AFL standard simply because he wrote his name on a piece of paper.

Centrals supporters already asking for the AFL to give their club $ because he played for them.

Great stuff. Loved what Kochie said re why he should choose Port. Very smart,represents the club so well. Really proud to be a Port supporter. Now our club is respected Australia wide which is a great achievement given our recent history. I hope we can maintain that reputation and be a similar force in the afl that we've been in the sanfl.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seen a few people questioning the talent but of those rated highly on the show Goss is apparently on Bombers VFL list now, Paidraig signed a 2 year deal with the Cats, Manson was seen at Collingwood today & i'd be surprised if Moreland wasnt picked up.

We're lucky to have got the best of the lot, best case scenario he makes the grade & becomes a Barlow/Ballantyne quality mature age recruit worst case we get a pretty handy player for the Magpies outside of our list/salary cap plus some very nice exposure of being an attractive club.

Last edited:
Already hearing the cries of the #RealFooty people.

He has played 2 SANFL games in his life and now he's AFL standard simply because he wrote his name on a piece of paper.

Centrals supporters already asking for the AFL to give their club $ because he played for them.

Lol Centrals.

Kneel before your masters, plebs #1959 #orly

10 years ago he wrote a letter to "future Yoey" to play for Port. He was my favourite and hope he does well for you guys. Has explosive speed and seems like a genuine bloke. Here is a clip of him on the interwebs.
Johann Wagner Footage:

Wow! After looking at this video I looked at some shorts from the recruit ... He has changed his body shape completely! Quite amazing. Seems like a real good bloke .... I particularly liked the video on his background and family - Nice, he fits well into the Ken Hinkley "good character" mantra.

The Recruit videos of Johann Wagner:
http://goo.gl/oSXyL6
(there are about 6 short videos of him in this link)

Only watched it then,

F*** yeah! <3

Love it! So happy!!!! If Burgo can spend 9 weeks watching someone and still thinks he is worth it i'm 100% backing that he will play 100+ games

Kochies speech at the end too <3 <3

Congrats to Johann.

Didn't watch the show but sounds like a good one from all your reports. 189cm 86.5kg with speed sounds awesome.

Watching that highlight video, would it be fair to say that he's like a Dean Towers/Tim Membrey type?

10 years ago he wrote a letter to "future Yoey" to play for Port. He was my favourite and hope he does well for you guys. Has explosive speed and seems like a genuine bloke. Here is a clip of him on the interwebs.
Johann Wagner Footage:

I had to stop watching that, it was a like a carcrash for that poor #16

I'm from Port Lincoln and actually pretty decent mates with Yoey's brother ( claim to fame). Although I don't know him personally, he is apparently an out and out great lad. Certainly can party with the best of them, but pretty focused on this shot it would seem. Certainly tore my home team to pieces a few times. Hope he makes it

Well done Yoey, was a lock for the win but I'm surprised he chose Port. Stoked for him, hope he can impress. Got some speed behind him that's for sure

Why would you be surprised? Lifelong Port Supporter, SA Boy. Port said they'd take him. Why would he even entertain another team given the choice?

Why would you be surprised? Lifelong Port Supporter, SA Boy. Port said they'd take him. Why would he even entertain another team given the choice?

Given his position on hf flank as a smaller forward, I would have assumed we had that position covered with Wingard/Gus/Neade/gray

Has nothing to do with the club & culture itself. That's entirely different

Remove this Banner Ad

Back