The Recruit

MacMum

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 6, 2007
Ballarat
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Fox8 Wed night

Show started tonight...will watch with interest. So far I have taken to the dread-locked red-head in the look-a-like Lions jumper (surprise!:p)

Coached by our greatest ever in Michael Voss:hearts:

..thought I'd start a thread for us to discuss as the show goes along.

p.s....like Waylen too, looks a footballer....and is cute!;)

Last edited:

MacMum

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 6, 2007
Ballarat
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Suspect Vossy will instinctively pick the redhead,;) at this stage...Luke is his name I think .

edit: oh dear, I mozzed the poor boy:( ....bye Luke

Last edited:
Cringeworthy.

On one hand I'm amazed how low the AFL has stooped, but on the other I'm not.

You should use your face to slap that first hand for thinking such a ridiculous thought

MacMum

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 6, 2007
Ballarat
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Nah, its a bit of fun, with a serious ending of an AFL contract for one person....taking it for what it is, and that's light entertainment. Some will like it, some won't.

We will keep watching at this stage.

Experimental

Norm Smith Medallist
May 20, 2012
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Green Bay Packers
I saw an interview with Vossy and Fitzy somewhere where they said that although the winner gets a guaranteed AFL contract with a club, it doesn't mean that the other finalists are excluded. They said that there's every possibility that two or three contestants could very well all be signed at the end of the show. Pretty cool, imo.

I thought it was actually pretty good without too much reality show bullshit, until the final selections. The eliminations were brutal.

Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
Special NAB AFL Draft meeting - The Recruit

The AFL will hold a special NAB AFL Draft meeting on Wednesday September 17, 2014 for all clubs who wished to consider selecting a player who had partaken in the upcoming Foxtel show on FOX8, ‘The Recruit’, which goes to air from Wednesday night. AFL General Counsel Andrew Dillon said the AFL Commission had determined that the player selected at this Draft could be placed on club lists as a Category B rookie. All clubs have the right to participate in the draft meeting, but it is not compulsory to make a bid or selection for a player. While aspects of the draft /selection process will become clear through the course of the 10-week run of the show, all 18 AFL clubs will have an opportunity to select the winner of The Recruit through the live draft selection process scheduled for the final episode on September 17.

Cringeworthy.

On one hand I'm amazed how low the AFL has stooped, but on the other I'm not.

Interested to hear why you thought so? It wasn't cheap, it wasn't trashy, and it was really a celebration of the dream of playing AFL. I was concerned it would be very tacky like many reality shows are (and like the cricket version of the show was), but didn't find it to be that way at all.

I loved it. I reckon current listed players would get a massive kick out of it too, because it would probably remind them of just how incredible the opportunity they have is - something that no doubt gets forgotten in the daily grind.

One hour of TV and I feel like I know a few of them and their personalities better than Lions players who've been on our list for years though. I know that's largely the point of the show, but it's also an indictment on just how controlled the players are in what they do media-wise these days.

Kojihama

Team Captain
May 7, 2011
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Can someone explain what a Category B rookie is? Is that like international rookie? So a rookie just on a secondary list? Wouldn't it be a no-brainier to just take a punt on one of these guys even at 3rd or 4th if they do prove themselves to be semi-capable?

Can someone explain what a Category B rookie is? Is that like international rookie? So a rookie just on a secondary list? Wouldn't it be a no-brainier to just take a punt on one of these guys even at 3rd or 4th if they do prove themselves to be semi-capable?

Depends what you have to give up in the bidding system I suppose. Will favour the clubs with the money to spend as with everything.

Cat B are the developmental spots, e.g. Qld rookies, Irish kids, etc. I'm wondering the same thing about just taking a punt as well.

May 26, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

http://www.afl.com.au/afl-hq/the-afl-explained/rookie-players

In addition to these six rookie-listed players, each club can include up to three additional players (now referred to as Category B rookies) on its Rookie List provided the player either:
  • has not registered in an Australian Football competition for three years immediately before inclusion on the Rookie List;
  • is an international player, meaning he is not an Australian citizen and has not lived in Australia for a substantial period;
  • is a former NSW Scholarship player with that club;
  • is a former International Scholarship player with that club;
  • is a rookie Zone Selection for clubs based in NSW or Queensland.

Surprised more aren't jumping on the Brady Foster bandwagon.

Queenslander.
Dad played for Fitzroy.
Ex-volleyballer who hasn't played much football.

Ticks so many boxes for our club right there. :D

Surprised more aren't jumping on the Brady Foster bandwagon.

Queenslander.
Dad played for Fitzroy.
Ex-volleyballer who hasn't played much football.

Ticks so many boxes for our club right there. :D

I was impressed, but wasn't going to jump the gun. Did another QLDer make it into the final 12/13? Thought I saw an Aspley Hornets jumper.

Nov 11, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Waylen Mason is probably more talented than anyone currently on most clubs list. But when he constantly started whinging about wanting to quit after that first challenge and then went on to mention he uses his footballing ability to pick up girls, was pretty well when I put a line through his name. I'd be seriously shocked if he won it. It's a shame to see such talent go to waste.

Waylen Mason is probably more talented than anyone currently on most clubs list. But when he constantly started whinging about wanting to quit after that first challenge and then went on to mention he uses his footballing ability to pick up girls, was pretty well when I put a line through his name. I'd be seriously shocked if he won it. It's a shame to see such talent go to waste.

It's a different world - he's not even playing in a state league out there, really just suburban football. Surprised he owned up to it but it's really all about how or if he knuckles down. He'd be a monty to get listed if he get his head into what's required for an AFL footballer.

Back