The Recruit

Remove this Banner Ad

Hard to imagine the 27yo angry dude without elite running getting onto an AFL list if the likes of the Myles Sewell, Valenti, and the other guy at Port Melbourne haven't made it despite staring for multiple years in the VFL. would think its the younger guys and those with elite running who maybe came to footy late or grew late or added bulk late who are best chances.

The other thing that may come of it for the players is getting picked up by the VFL, SANFL etc. teams. Not the big money or glory of the AFL but a step up and a living (of sorts) playing footy.

I feel so damned sorry for Waylen...I got all teary for him as it hit home for me, just how bloody hard it is for these boys to come from such a different lifestyle ....and we then judge them harshly if they have trouble adapting.

I just wanted to reach into the tv and hug him and shelter him from all the worlds hurts.:(:cry:

Yeah that was hard to watch. I think the Psychologist probably could have prepared him better in advance for the leading teams thing instead of mentioning the cultural aspects after the fact.

That all seemed a bit set up for maximum drama which feels a bit exploitative.

Didn't care less about the bloke that was delisted. Was clearly undraftable. Short, slow, poor skills and a bit of a knob.

To many fricken adds. Don't see myself getting too involved in watching it, more flick over to it near the end of each programme. Dr Who repeats are more appealing.

I'm enjoying this show. They've clearly picked a couple of guys to get the 'mix' right in terms of drama etc but overall pretty entertaining. Like 'The Cut' from a few years ago (golf), the whole 'last chance to live your dreams' thing is kind of appealing. I also like the little snippets of the coaches talking about stats, performance etc and how they judge things.

It was interesting to see the type of tests possible recruits are put through. I wonder how much weight will be given to these results when the final decision is made.

Just goes to show what a package you need just to get on a list.Very impressive beep test on the Recruit.

Geez, even those measurements play into it??? :eek:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In case anyone missed it or wants to watch it, its posted on the freo board in their video thread at the top.

Has interest in this show died?
I haven't watched any of it, but the ruling today of how the winner may get onto an AFL team list is interesting.
From what I can gather, clubs can nominate and if multiple teams do so, the recruit gets to choose his destination.
I guess that leaves the winner with a decision on whether to choose a better club with less chance of a game, or a less sexy club to improve his chances.
All this of course, depends on the standard of the winner. He may not get nominated by a 'sexy' team, or any team at all for that matter.
Further to the prize, the club taking him, will have his pay subsidised, I believe.
Now, if the winner is awesome, I hate to think that for some promotional fluff like a reality TV show, the winner could potentially be nominated by say, Hawthorn, any they get a free pick at a funded player. That could not possibly be fair.

So, for the Recruit viewers out there, are any of the contestants actually very good? There was at least one Queenslander I believe (Foster, I think, went to school with a lad at my work), is there more, and are they any chop? Would we look at this route to get a cheap player?

I think there are a couple of players worth looking at. (Have watched every episode)

Johann Wagner; 23 year old South Australian lad who was listed by Central Districts but did not play a game. Looks the most likely to win the whole thing. A true footballer with a nose for goal and skills to make it.

Reece Maxwell; 23 year old former US College basketballer who represented Australia at youth level. Looks a perfect 'cat B' chance without the show (has not played an AFL game in years). Determined athlete with a really high quick developmental rate.

Of the real footballers, Chris Moreland intrigues me. A 24 year old midfielder with a nasty mean streak. Neat skills and the athleticism to be a skilful half forward.

Ryan Semmel is a lock and load ready - to - go 26 year old midfielder who has moved to Rye (my neck of the woods in the SE Burbs). Big, strong, quick. skilful, looks to be a real fancy after not much air time in the first part of the series.

I think there are a couple of players worth looking at. (Have watched every episode)

Johann Wagner; 23 year old South Australian lad who was listed by Central Districts but did not play a game. Looks the most likely to win the whole thing. A true footballer with a nose for goal and skills to make it.

Reece Maxwell; 23 year old former US College basketballer who represented Australia at youth level. Looks a perfect 'cat B' chance without the show (has not played an AFL game in years). Determined athlete with a really high quick developmental rate.

Of the real footballers, Chris Moreland intrigues me. A 24 year old midfielder with a nasty mean streak. Neat skills and the athleticism to be a skilful half forward.

Ryan Semmel is a lock and load ready - to - go 26 year old midfielder who has moved to Rye (my neck of the woods in the SE Burbs). Big, strong, quick. skilful, looks to be a real fancy after not much air time in the first part of the series.

wagner maxwell and moreland i reckon should end up top 3, ryan semmel with his age it should count against him. Show is a bit of a disapointment though all the nonfooty related tasks just for the drama of it, pretty much cost waylen his shot

wagner maxwell and moreland i reckon should end up top 3, ryan semmel with his age it should count against him. Show is a bit of a disapointment though all the nonfooty related tasks just for the drama of it, pretty much cost waylen his shot

Try and explain to me James Brackin, Tyrone Armitage as better footballers than guys playing in country leagues in Victoria?

Show is a bit of a disapointment though all the nonfooty related tasks just for the drama of it, pretty much cost waylen his shot
Not the first time off the field things have affected his potential AFL career though. Whether an AFL player makes it is about 30 percent talent based these days.

Try and explain to me James Brackin, Tyrone Armitage as better footballers than guys playing in country leagues in Victoria?
yeah quality is very low

Not the first time off the field things have affected his potential AFL career though. Whether an AFL player makes it is about 30 percent talent based these days.

its so* hard for someone from basically a full aboriginal community to come out and adapt to things like jumping off the roof of etihad or jumping out of a plane, was a bit rough on him

Last edited:
its so* hard for someone from basically a full aboriginal community to come out and adapt to things like jumping off the roof of etihad or jumping out of a plane, was a bit rough on him

The show is clearly a reality show, so amped up for the drama. But I think it has helped him in the long run if the goal is an AFL career. He has put himself in the spotlight and being able to cope with the attention, even if just on FOX8 and playing for Beaumaris will help in the long run.

The recruit is a great show, once again, I have no idea why there are so many haters. Waylen getting delisted was a massive set up. Moves straight in with Jason Mifsud and starts playing in the VAFA. He is draftable, dominating the amateurs whilst living away from home is better for your draft prospects than being on the recruit.

I am really enjoying the show. Taking the recruits out of their comfort zone and watching their reaction is what happens to every AFL player drafted. There is more to playing at the top level than pure talent. I am addicted to the show and can't wait for the next episode. Certainly I see the show will develop and change in the following series but I will certainly follow the career of whoever wins this year.

Im of the opposite view on Waylen. Don't get me wrong, I emphatise... Being not from Australia / this culture, I can say first hand how many racist knobs there are out there... And how challenging life can be outside of your comfort zone. Those tests were designed to do the thing which led to his down fall... Which is to show desire and determination to get out of your comfort zone to chase your dream. Doing some (not all) of those tasks probably wouldn't be any different to what would happen at a club on a regular basis... Going into the ocean, having surf days.. Absailing etc.

He was more than fine when they went to the NT... Which again showed he was fine within the confines of his environment, yet from what we could see on the show he could not get out of his comfort zone.

Sure, he's living in Melb now and cutting it up I the VAFA... We don't know how that came to be and we don't know under what circumstances. He could have had the whole setup organized for him without him lifting a finger.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back