The resurgence of the mighty lions

Remove this Banner Ad

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-01-01/after-the-siren-new-years-edition

2. Greg Swann
Arrived in the Gabba late last season declaring that with a gaping hole in their salary cap, the Brisbane Lions were open for business. The club that was reeling just 12 months ago following the loss of five emerging stars is now a destination club as demonstrated by the signing of gun pair Dayne Beams and Allen Christensen. Can a chief executive be his club's Most Valuable Player?

No idea where this should go or if it's even relevant, but I was just looking at season 2014s stats and for a bit of fun wondered where we'd end up if we improve some key areas by 10%. Note I think these stats include finals (at least it looks that way given the rankings/order).

Last season we had 7,669 disposals (ranked 15th). If we improve that by 10% we'll have 8,436 which would have us ranked 9th. If we improve our clearances and improve our disposal efficiency it is possible we could achieve this.

Last season we kicked 221 goals (ranked 16th). If we improve that by 10% we'll have kicked 243 which would have us still ranked 16th. No doubt an area which needs vast improvement. The injection of some goal kicking mids (Christensen, Beams) and with any luck improvement from Close might see us improve by this amount but it is clear we need to. We kicked the least number of behinds so either we were quite accurate or incredibly inaccurate in that we kicked a high amount on the full.

Last season we had 840 hitouts (ranked 15th). If we improve that by 10% we'll have 924 which would have us ranked equal 9th. Imagine this stat doesn't encompass only effective hitouts, that said I can only see us improving if Leuey plays a full season (fingers crossed). Improve in this area we have more chance of getting the pill to the midfielders which improves other areas.

Last season we had 1,405 tackles (ranked 15th). Not necessarily a good thing if we improve this area by 10% as it might mean we're chasing more, but it could also mean we're putting more pressure on. If we improved this area by 10% we'd have been ranked 9th.

Inside 50s we had 1,002 (ranked 16th). Improve that by 10% ranks us 11th. I'd hope we improve it by much more given the quality we've added to the midfield, it's then we need to capitalise (see goals).

As we know we were ranked 18th in contested possessions with 2,749. This is a critical focus area and one that appears to be being addressed not only on the training track but with the addition of Beams. Improve this area by 10%, which we should, we'd be ranked 13th. Again, clearly an area that needs attention and is getting attention. Stating the obvious, getting the contested ball gets possessions which ultimately improves our inside 50s and then our potential to kick goals.

We had 162 contested marks (ranked 17th). Even improving by 10% won't see us climb the rankings. Another area that needs improving. Granted we played a heap of kids which will probably influence this result though, the more games we get into them the better you'd expect they'd get and we'd see much more improvement.

Somewhat surprisingly we had 1,166 1%s which had us ranked 6th in despite not playing finals. I'm not sure exactly what a 1%er entails (besides being a patch on the jacket of one of those stupid idiots that ride motorbikes and hang out in clubhouses cos its apparently pretty cool), but if we improved that by 10% we'd be ranked 3rd. Keep this area up I say.

We had 149 goal assists (ranked 16th) which correlates with our ranking in goals. This probably has a bit to do with many things such as the ability to win the contested goal in order to have a crack at the goals, our low contested marking ranking which down forward doesnt give us the opportunity to have a crack at goals, and possibly the fact we had the least behinds which might insinuate that when we did get the ball we wasted it in front of goals (i'm fairly certain we did this quite alot).

No doubt if we improve in some of these areas we'll see improvements in other areas which will contribute to the resurgence of the mighty Lions.

Knowing my luck someone has already posted similar but if they havent hope it was a good read. Off to bath the kid.

Somewhat surprisingly we had 1,166 1%s which had us ranked 6th in despite not playing finals. I'm not sure exactly what a 1%er entails (besides being a patch on the jacket of one of those stupid idiots that ride motorbikes and hang out in clubhouses cos its apparently pretty cool), but if we improved that by 10% we'd be ranked 3rd. Keep this area up I say.

One percenters include smothers, shepherds, spoils, knocking a contested footy to a teammate's advantage and some other pressure acts that don't normally draw a stat.

Great post FFB1

Percentages
The old AFL cliché for improvement is improve by 10% and you will be thereabouts in the next season, to go forward you will need to improve by 20%

Winning
Lace Out was thereabouts with his suggestion “Just beat Richmond” who, incidentally we have only done once in the last 10 years. I’m suggesting he is only 33% correct…
  • RIC – one win against in the last 10 years
  • SYD – two wins in the last 10 years
  • GEE – two wins since 2006
  • HAW – once since 2007
  • FRE – Last win against was 2009
Formula for Success
My simple solution/suggestion for guaranteed improvementWe only need to defeat 3 of the above five teams in 2015 and I state with great confidence/Bookmark, not only will we have improved but a finals opportunity will be within our grasp. :thumbsu:

How do we do this? Nah, this is a discussion forum, time to let others contribute. [read as ****ed if I know] :$

Great post FFB1

Percentages
The old AFL cliché for improvement is improve by 10% and you will be thereabouts in the next season, to go forward you will need to improve by 20%

Winning
Lace Out was thereabouts with his suggestion “Just beat Richmond” who, incidentally we have only done once in the last 10 years. I’m suggesting he is only 33% correct…
  • RIC – one win against in the last 10 years
  • SYD – two wins in the last 10 years
  • GEE – two wins since 2006
  • HAW – once since 2007
  • FRE – Last win against was 2009
Formula for Success
My simple solution/suggestion for guaranteed improvementWe only need to defeat 3 of the above five teams in 2015 and I state with great confidence/Bookmark, not only will we have improved but a finals opportunity will be within our grasp. :thumbsu:

How do we do this? Nah, this is a discussion forum, time to let others contribute. [read as stuffed if I know] :$
Enjoyed that. You're assuming of course that everything else remains constant which it never does. We may well improve our winningness against those sides but start to drop games against sides we should beat. I reckon it's more about winning consistently against whomever, which means raising our standards to a much higher level than they currently are at. My formula for success - score more bloody points than the opposition.

Enjoyed that. You're assuming of course that everything else remains constant which it never does. We may well improve our winningness against those sides but start to drop games against sides we should beat. I reckon it's more about winning consistently against whomever, which means raising our standards to a much higher level than they currently are at. My formula for success - score more bloody points than the opposition.
Yeah, can only go on the known facts, beat three of last years finalists and you are well on the way... [and yeah goes without saying, score more bloody points than the opposition PLUS 'if you've got the ball the opposition can't score a goal', and you're a certainty win :cool:]

No idea where this should go or if it's even relevant, but I was just looking at season 2014s stats and for a bit of fun wondered where we'd end up if we improve some key areas by 10%. Note I think these stats include finals (at least it looks that way given the rankings/order).

Last season we had 7,669 disposals (ranked 15th). If we improve that by 10% we'll have 8,436 which would have us ranked 9th. If we improve our clearances and improve our disposal efficiency it is possible we could achieve this.

Last season we kicked 221 goals (ranked 16th). If we improve that by 10% we'll have kicked 243 which would have us still ranked 16th. No doubt an area which needs vast improvement. The injection of some goal kicking mids (Christensen, Beams) and with any luck improvement from Close might see us improve by this amount but it is clear we need to. We kicked the least number of behinds so either we were quite accurate or incredibly inaccurate in that we kicked a high amount on the full.

Last season we had 840 hitouts (ranked 15th). If we improve that by 10% we'll have 924 which would have us ranked equal 9th. Imagine this stat doesn't encompass only effective hitouts, that said I can only see us improving if Leuey plays a full season (fingers crossed). Improve in this area we have more chance of getting the pill to the midfielders which improves other areas.

Last season we had 1,405 tackles (ranked 15th). Not necessarily a good thing if we improve this area by 10% as it might mean we're chasing more, but it could also mean we're putting more pressure on. If we improved this area by 10% we'd have been ranked 9th.

Inside 50s we had 1,002 (ranked 16th). Improve that by 10% ranks us 11th. I'd hope we improve it by much more given the quality we've added to the midfield, it's then we need to capitalise (see goals).

As we know we were ranked 18th in contested possessions with 2,749. This is a critical focus area and one that appears to be being addressed not only on the training track but with the addition of Beams. Improve this area by 10%, which we should, we'd be ranked 13th. Again, clearly an area that needs attention and is getting attention. Stating the obvious, getting the contested ball gets possessions which ultimately improves our inside 50s and then our potential to kick goals.

We had 162 contested marks (ranked 17th). Even improving by 10% won't see us climb the rankings. Another area that needs improving. Granted we played a heap of kids which will probably influence this result though, the more games we get into them the better you'd expect they'd get and we'd see much more improvement.

We had 149 goal assists (ranked 16th) which correlates with our ranking in goals. This probably has a bit to do with many things such as the ability to win the contested goal in order to have a crack at the goals, our low contested marking ranking which down forward doesnt give us the opportunity to have a crack at goals, and possibly the fact we had the least behinds which might insinuate that when we did get the ball we wasted it in front of goals (i'm fairly certain we did this quite alot).

No doubt if we improve in some of these areas we'll see improvements in other areas which will contribute to the resurgence of the mighty Lions.

Knowing my luck someone has already posted similar but if they havent hope it was a good read. Off to bath the kid.
Nice FFB1, must be quiet at work these days. Would be interesting to compare first 10 rounds to last 13 and see if we improved 10% on those stats. Considering a number of first 22 were not present for extended periods and the off season additions, I think we will improve more than 10%.

Creating forward 50s and converting is a clear priority any which way required. Am of a similar thinking to Blind Freddie, we are not that far off. Eg, contested possessions and clearances will surely improve significantly, if it does our win loss ratio will greatly improve. Just my opinion.

3 words. Lynch. Bradshaw, Brown. Can't be done without at least 2 of the 3. So who's it going to be? Obviously got to shop around for a Roughhead/Walker type... or it is simply dreamin'.

I don't believe we will need to look for a key forward next year, I will watch with interest the development of Close, Freeman & McStay.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't believe we will need to look for a key forward next year, I will watch with interest the development of Close, Freeman & McStay.

too true, with our frenetic style of play and the mozzie squad kicking 6-8 goals a game, i dont see a need to have anything more then 2 strong leading targets to create space.. add in Beams, Christensen, Rocky, Hanley, Mayes and Rich and we will look to get 10-12 goals from non- key forwards.. we be sweet

We don't need to increase our one percenters so much as our kicks, marks, handballs and points. Could save ourselves a whole lot of effort for more return. And lets face it, there's a reason they don't give you a stat for a 1% and why some ordinary teams can rack up a lot of them.

too true, with our frenetic style of play and the mozzie squad kicking 6-8 goals a game, i dont see a need to have anything more then 2 strong leading targets to create space.. add in Beams, Christensen, Rocky, Hanley, Mayes and Rich and we will look to get 10-12 goals from non- key forwards.. we be sweet
Gee thats being generous. Green will usually only get 1-2 goals a game with the odd 3 goal a game every 4 weeks or so. Zorko will average 1 goal a game and taylor probably averages 1 goal a game.
I would say that mozzie squad would get around maybe 4 goals a game.

Rocky would get 1 goal every 2 weeks (based on last years matches). Not sure about Beams, Christensen (maaybe 1/2 goals a game?).
Hanley and Rich will be near the back line so might get 1 goal a game each if we are lucky. Mayes should get 1/2 goals a game.
That puts it around 8/9 goals a game, l would have thought, still pretty good.

I hope you are right! However I have vivid memories of Daniel Bradshaw taking the 3rd defender for dogs sake. He was good enough to be number one KPF, and was on the several occasions Browny and Lynch were out. He was such a valuable player. He could also hold down CHB as second nature. Close is definitely a big unit, the other lads, we'll have to see, and I must confess I am out of touch with their physical attributes. But I put our success in the "golden era" down to the fact we had some players who were just so versatile, and "A" graders. Pike springs to mind. Possum, was probably the least reliable, but still versatile. Staker is the type of player that any successful team needs at least 2 of. Boys like Gardiner and Clarke are bona fide back men, but I reckon we should move them around, see what gels... obviously you don't want to destroy confidence, but some thinking outside the box is required IMHO.

I hope you are right! However I have vivid memories of Daniel Bradshaw taking the 3rd defender for dogs sake. He was good enough to be number one KPF, and was on the several occasions Browny and Lynch were out. He was such a valuable player. He could also hold down CHB as second nature. Close is definitely a big unit, the other lads, we'll have to see, and I must confess I am out of touch with their physical attributes. But I put our success in the "golden era" down to the fact we had some players who were just so versatile, and "A" graders. Pike springs to mind. Possum, was probably the least reliable, but still versatile. Staker is the type of player that any successful team needs at least 2 of. Boys like Gardiner and Clarke are bona fide back men, but I reckon we should move them around, see what gels... obviously you don't want to destroy confidence, but some thinking outside the box is required IMHO.

The interested for me, along with Staker, is how Bourke, McGuane & Paine progress..the screws are really being turned for them to perform. now that our midfield has picked up Christensen, Robinson & D Beams it pushes players like Paparone & Mayes forward along with McStay no doubt Close & Freeman are still works in progress the forward line looks a lot healthier.. .As not everyone is going to play midfield the flow on with mid size forwards Bewick ..C Beams.. Aish and possibly Rockcliff & Lester to compete with...exciting times ahead..

Yes, exactly.

And what about Leppa?

Every time we needed goals he seemed to be able to move forward and kick two or three....

God I loved and miss Bradshaw!

They're certainly all very different players with Close likely to do the hard running / mark / lead work, Freeman the in and out of the game but capable of tricks type and McStay I see as the most natural forward, but may be used as a swingman for a while.

Exciting to have all three coming through at once :thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back