Experimental

Norm Smith Medallist
May 20, 2012
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Green Bay Packers
I think Tom Nicholls proved to us all last night that despite our loss and our general lack of effort and skill, that he is prepared to bare the load and put in the hard yards to become our number one ruckman. He applies pressure, has an improving kick, a great mark, and has been very effective in the ruck.

At the moment, his key flaw is his persistent jumping too early. That can, in theory, be trained out of him with a decent ruck coach and continued games.

However, despite being 23 and having been with the club since 2011, he's only played twenty games in his whole career.

There has been talk of recruiting a tough, mature, and experienced ruckman like Minson or Hale to the Suns at the end of the year, but if Nicholls continues uninjured the way he has been, and Brooksby proves his worth at AFL level, then maybe it won't be needed.

I'm hopeful for a Nicholls/Brooksby ruck combo, but I'm not nearly familiar enough to say definitively what potential Brooksby has, and whether he's AFL material. But as for Nicholls, he's getting better and better every game, and for a bloke who hasn't ever completed a season without an injury, he's going very well.

As for Smith - well, I think it's clear that he'll be getting the boot at the end of the year. Gorringe too.

Everyone is invited to share their thoughts and views on our rucking situation! Fire away!

Jan 27, 2014
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Decent ruck coach? You do realise we have Matty Primus yeah? Probably the best ruckman in the league from 2000-2004

But yes I do agree he has certainly put his hand up as #1 while through summer I think the votes were probably half TNix, half ZSmith

And to a lesser extent Josh Fraser

winning

All Australian
Nov 5, 2012
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I agree with Experimental that Tom Nicholls is the real deal as the No. 1 ruckman at the GCS.

At 23 years of age and having only played 20 games his upside is enormous.

While Smith is not is career best form I think it is too early write him off altogether. History shows us that ruckmen have a habit of getting injured an that a club probably needs a total of 3 ruckmen on their list.

Experimental

Norm Smith Medallist
May 20, 2012
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Green Bay Packers
Decent ruck coach? You do realise we have Matty Primus yeah? Probably the best ruckman in the league from 2000-2004
The same Matthew Primus who was sacked as head coach by Port Adelaide because if his coaching ineptitude? People very often confuse playing ability with coaching ability - rarely does a superstar player turn into a superstar coach. There are obvious exceptions like Leigh Matthews, but Hird, Voss, and Buckley were all superstar players, yet mediocre coaches. I'm not doubting Primus' ability on-field, but if he can't communicate his knowledge effectively, then his guidance is ineffective. On paper, his background is incredible - couldn't get a better qualified bloke for the job. But I've seen nothing to suggest what he's doing is working. Wouldn't mind seeing Fraser move to coaching the rucks, then bringing someone else in for the NEAFL coaching gig though.

We need a great ruck coach. Big difference.

Jun 10, 2011
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
The same Matthew Primus who was sacked as head coach by Port Adelaide because if his coaching ineptitude? People very often confuse playing ability with coaching ability - rarely does a superstar player turn into a superstar coach. There are obvious exceptions like Leigh Matthews, but Hird, Voss, and Buckley were all superstar players, yet mediocre coaches. I'm not doubting Primus' ability on-field, but if he can't communicate his knowledge effectively, then his guidance is ineffective. On paper, his background is incredible - couldn't get a better qualified bloke for the job. But I've seen nothing to suggest what he's doing is working. Wouldn't mind seeing Fraser move to coaching the rucks, then bringing someone else in for the NEAFL coaching gig though.

We need a great ruck coach. Big difference.

Understand what your saying, but I really don't think out of all our off field staff he is the issue. Unless you have evidence or source, other than presumptions and speculation?

Experimental

Norm Smith Medallist
May 20, 2012
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Green Bay Packers
Understand what your saying, but I really don't think out of all our off field staff he is the issue.
Haha, nah, that's not what I'm saying at all. I just don't think it's fair for the board to pin all our on-field issues on Bluey, then pretend that by sacking him it's all fixed, that's all. Primus in particular was hired by Port Adelaide because he was a favourite son, worked as assistant for a few years, then took over as senior coach until the club nearly imploded. He was then picked up by the Suns. His whole career was forged from favouritism.

If the club was more transparent, perhaps we'd actually know how their 'full review' went, but until then I'll maintain my current scepticism about Primus :p Mind you, I'm sceptical about most of our coaching team, so it probably doesn't mean much haha.

Nov 17, 2009
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I think Eade will clean house at years end, if the boys can't use their bodies and run to the wrong places PART of that has to be the coaching.

Get rid of them and start fresh with your own team Rocket

That's what was so refreshing about Tom on the weekend
Actually running to good spots
Gawd it was like an epiphany
The last ruck that did that for us was actually Tom Hickey who was the best natural ruckman we've had to date

Experimental

Norm Smith Medallist
May 20, 2012
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Green Bay Packers
Watching the game again on IQ really proves Tom's professionalism and athleticism.

In Hallahan's post-game interview, he said he's been talking alot with Nicholls and building rapport and finding out how each other plays. Comparing what Hallahan said with what I can see on TV is spot on. Nicholls and Hallahan were talking at every stoppage, guiding each other, and forging a game plan. It was fantastic to see.

Nicholls and Hallahan - future superstar ruck/ruck rover combo.

Jun 10, 2011
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
46.2 per cent of Nicholls' hitouts went to advantage – ranked No. 1 in the competition across the round. Add that to his two goals and we're all aboard the Tom Train.

How about the Tom "Light Rail" Nicholls. Hasn't quite got the physique or presence to wear the "Tom Train" :D

But yeah was certainly one of our best on the weekend, and stamped himself as #1 ruck this year - no question.

Aug 7, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Rams, 76's, Brewers
How about the Tom "Light Rail" Nicholls. Hasn't quite got the physique or presence to wear the "Tom Train" :D

But yeah was certainly one of our best on the weekend, and stamped himself as #1 ruck this year - no question.
Small things like last year for every free kick Tom got, he gave away 3. This year he's getting 2 for every free against. He's definitely stronger at the contest and can only improve. I had my doubts but the past 2 weeks he's been a light at the end of a very long dark tunnel.

Experimental

Norm Smith Medallist
May 20, 2012
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Green Bay Packers
Thoughts on Nicholls last weekend?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

newcastlefalcon

Team Captain
Oct 1, 2009
Brisbane
AFL Club
Melbourne
Interesting report in the HeraldSun this morning that Essendon are targeting Zac Smith for recruitment at end of season.
May point to Nicholls improved status and form.

Back